P&O Iona Marriage Proposal

Mondo87

Hi guys

Maybe a bit of a strange question, but we are going on the P&O Iona Canary Islands cruise for 2 weeks later this year. I have been thinking a lot about popping the question to my partner while on this holiday, but as it has been years since I've been on a cruise (I was only a child last time), I've got no idea how viable it would be in terms of having somewhere secluded with a nice setting etc to do it, as I definitely would NOT like to do it at dinner or something like that, and I know that my partner would hate for it to be very public. I thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone had any ideas for how I could make it work, or even any shore excursions that would be good for this sort of thing? I think it would be nice to do it of an evening whilst the ship is in port somewhere, with the shore in the background etc, but I'd be surprised if there would be anywhere secluded to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I really don't know where to start here!

Thanks

Can't answer your question, but just pleased to see that you followed the advice given elsewhere (!) and posted here.

Welcome, and I hope that wherever you pop the question, the answer is "Yes"!

• Thanks 1

Contact P&O direct and tell them you idea's of your Proposal i am sure they will be able to make it Special for you Both.

They do Weddings onboard so i can't see a Proposal being a problem to them.

Good Luck to both of you. (And if she say's NO just push her overboard.) 😇

• Haha 1

May I suggest one option. How about on your balcony, (assuming you have a balcony cabin) with an evening meal using room service with champers, flowers etc. And if you in port, so much better. I successfully proposed on the promenade deck at the aft of Oceana. It was our first cruise. It was a bit of a risk in case someone strolled around the corner but it was quite late in the evening and I got away with it. I had to ask twice, either because my now wife couldn't believe what I'd said or because she didn't hear due to the sound of the wash. Anyway, we've now been married for 7 happy years and we're lucky enough to have had two further cruises on Oceana and revisited "The Spot" with fond memories. Good luck!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Palaceman said:

May I suggest one option. How about on your balcony, (assuming you have a balcony cabin) with an evening meal using room service with champers, flowers etc. And if you in port, so much better. I successfully proposed on the promenade deck at the aft of Oceana. It was our first cruise. It was a bit of a risk in case someone strolled around the corner but it was quite late in the evening and I got away with it. I had to ask twice, either because my now wife couldn't believe what I'd said or because she didn't hear due to the sound of the wash. Anyway, we've now been married for 7 happy years and we're lucky enough to have had two further cruises on Oceana and revisited "The Spot" with fond memories. Good luck!!

We don't have a balcony cabin unfortunately, but I do love the idea of doing it at the aft of the ship. As you say though, it's a risk in case anyone strolls around the corner and ruins the moment. 

12 minutes ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Contact P&O direct and tell them you idea's of your Proposal i am sure they will be able to make it Special for you Both.

They do Weddings onboard so i can't see a Proposal being a problem to them.

Good Luck to both of you. (And if she say's NO just push her overboard.) 😇

Do you by any chance know how would be best to contact them about something like this? Or would it just be general customer service? 

7 minutes ago, Mondo87 said:

We don't have a balcony cabin unfortunately, but I do love the idea of doing it at the aft of the ship. As you say though, it's a risk in case anyone strolls around the corner and ruins the moment. 

The risk was worth it!!😃

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mondo87 said:

Do you by any chance know how would be best to contact them about something like this? Or would it just be general customer service? 

They do have a Special Section on there Website about Arranging Special Occasions onboard so i would suggest that Dept. 

Good Luck

I was on a transatlantic cruise when I proposed. I'd carted the ring round with me endlessly for days, and ended up choosing Copacabana beach, Barbados. Like you I wanted it to be private, but got spotted and acosted as walking past another couple 😂.

The time might just present itself in similar fashion, so be ready and good luck. 👍

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

"her" . A bit presumptive these days.

For some reason I assumed Mondo87 was a man, but it doesn't matter if they are a man, woman or pink and green giraffe as long as they are in love x

• Like 1

What a wonderful idea. I would also second asking the special occasions team to get involved. We got married on board and nothing was too much trouble for them. They found quiet areas for our photos and even let us on the bridge as a special treat - perhaps you could ask them to provide a photographer for a special picture?? The ports arent always the most picturesque backdrop depending on where you dock, so would require a bit of research, but other great options would be in the crows nest where youd have uniterrupted views of the ocean at the front and is very quiet in the daytime-and they might be able to get the staff involved to provide champagne after youve popped the question, or maybe even the pianist to accompany the proposal. Alternatively, the sunset bar where youd have gorgeous views of the wake (might have to choose your times carefully here to avoid the crowds-mornings are pretty quiet but obviously a sunset proposal would be amazing)..  you cant beat an ocean view backdrop IMO

7 hours ago, True Devonian said:

P&O do an engagement package which includes champagne, a meal in a speciality restaurant, chocolate covered strawberries in the evening and champagne breakfast in bed, the price is £399. Other extras such as music, are available for an additional charge.

How much 😲

2 minutes ago, Waju said:

How much 😲

And some of the extras costs are; Pianist - £150, Champagne Flutes £50, Signed bridge map of engagement location -£150, Soloist (1 hour) - £200, 2 piece band - £200. 😲😲. I think I got away lightly!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Palaceman said:

And some of the extras costs are; Pianist - £150, Champagne Flutes £50, Signed bridge map of engagement location -£150, Soloist (1 hour) - £200, 2 piece band - £200. 😲😲. I think I got away lightly!!!

Do they do a divorce package?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hiya, My partner proposed to me while we were on Britannia. He waited a couple of days before popping the question as he didn't want loads of people around so wanted to see where was quiet and at what times. He ended up around 7.30pm ish at sunset in the sunset bar and it was perfect. I would have hated a big audience for it as neither of us are like that. It was very special so good luck, I hope it goes well. 

• Like 1