apple watch connecting without voom?

Hi all,

Going soon on Symphony.  No intention to buy voom since the main purpose is rest and relaxation.

However, I do use my apple watch to monitor my sleep and exercise activity.  

Does anyone have experience with how to sync back to my iphone without buying the voom package?  Previously had a fitbit and lost info, so looking for a way to maintain with the apple watch.

I have verizon and will be connecting to local internet and checking in on the islands - is that going to be enough to sync?

Any tips/tricks much appreciated.

Happy Cruising,

Robin

VZW employee here...

On Verizon the apple watches are set so they will not roam internationally. My guess is this is more to prevent redundant roaming charges than anything else.

However, the apple watch uses bluetooth like any other smartwatch and this means the cellular and wifi are not necessary so long as you keep your phone with you. Everything should work.

I would go one extra and disable wifi on the watch while on the boat, because the iPhone will sync settings to it, and we don't want it connecting to the wifi without the package and getting confused. I can't fathom any way the watch could enter in the account info to be allowed online anyway.

• Like 2

My Fitbit uses Bluetooth and syncs with my iPad, so no need for internet connection. Have not lost any data all week on Mariner. I would presume setting your iPhone to airplane mode and turning cellular off would still sync through Bluetooth to your watch.

1 hour ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

I've gone out wearing my smartwatch but leaving my phone at home.  It recorded  steps  heart rate etc. 

Yes.  And an Apple Watch then synchronizes that data back to the iPhone Fitness (and Health?) apps, where it usually is looked at on the larger screen of the phone.  Apple Watches will do this synchronization via Bluetooth when the 2 devices are back close to each other (and powered on).  No need for WiFi or cellular service on either device.  So best to leave in Airplane mode and ensure Bluetooth is still on.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Honestly, I don't know why anyone pays to subscribe a smart watch to a cellular service.  As long as the watch is in BT range of the phone or you have WiFi, the watch works just fine.  I guess if you want to be able to go without your phone and don't have WiFi access, then maybe, but for me, that's never the case and paying $12-$15/mo for cell service on a watch is just unnecessary.  

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

Honestly, I don't know why anyone pays to subscribe a smart watch to a cellular service.  As long as the watch is in BT range of the phone or you have WiFi, the watch works just fine.  I guess if you want to be able to go without your phone and don't have WiFi access, then maybe, but for me, that's never the case and paying $12-$15/mo for cell service on a watch is just unnecessary.  

I'm out walking or running before dawn, and the phone is a safety net. When I can call 911 or home from my watch, I don't need to carry my phone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mspink98 said:

I'm out walking or running before dawn, and the phone is a safety net. When I can call 911 or home from my watch, I don't need to carry my phone. 

I have done that too. Left the phone at home walking or running. Also we have a pool resort deck and a spa here at my condo. A lot of times I don't take the phone. 

Some people do a family setup. Young kids get cellular Apple watches but not their own phones. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, mspink98 said:

Well, that would be a valid reason!  I was paying about $15/mo to Verizon for my watch.  I switched us to AT&T earlier this year and the rep asked me if I ever went out without my phone, which I don't, so she recommended against paying for a plan.  I bought my watch outright so there was no monthly installment plan to deal with.  

My Apple watch has airplane mode so that should keep it from connection to the Internet.  It also mirrors my iPhone.  Will that put my phone in airplane mode.  I'm not bringing a tablet or computer so my phone will be my lifeline to home....if needed. Fur babies! 

36 minutes ago, TRadle said:

My Apple watch has airplane mode so that should keep it from connection to the Internet.  It also mirrors my iPhone.  Will that put my phone in airplane mode.  I'm not bringing a tablet or computer so my phone will be my lifeline to home....if needed. Fur babies! 

The watch can mirror the iPhone. The iPhone does not mirror the watch. There is no reason though to have the watch in airplane mode. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1