Embarkation & disembarkation at the Port of Quebec

Broon

We have no experience with this port and will be boarding the N Statendam there on Sept 7. Does anyone have experience there from this year? Our boarding passes indicate that we are to go to Ross Gaudreault Cruise Terminal, 84 Dalhousie, Quebec. On a map, I see it clearly, the terminal, and piers 21 and 22 immediately adjacent to the terminal. 

I looked on the Port of Quebec website and see that our ship will be docked at pier/wharf 30, which is one or two kilometres distant from the Ross Gaudreault Terminal. It seems that using wharf 30 for cruise ships is new this year. 

Does anyone have experience to share about checking in and embarking, when the cruise ship is at pier/wharf 30? If we arrive at the cruise terminal and check in there, how do we get over to wharf 30?  Maybe there is a shuttle. 

We will be doing a back to back and will disembark in Quebec on Sept 24, again at wharf 30. We will need a taxi to get to the Quebec airport and I am trying to figure out how we will find one, and where. 

Yes, nitty gritty stuff. There seems to be a lot of it these days. 

Quai 30 is the Port of Québec's brand-new cruise terminal --  it was commissioned into service in July of this year.  It has its own pax management / check-in facilities.    This isn't a hardship / problem.  🙂 Scott. 

Media release / background: https://www.portquebec.ca/en/a-propos-du-port/medias-et-relations-publiques/communiques-de-presse/le-port-de-quebec-consolide-et-bonifie-ses-capacites-d-accueil-avec-son-nouveau-terminal-de-croisieres-multifonctionnel

Images: https://www.abcparchitecture.com/en/projects/architecture/cruise-terminal-port-of-quebec?sit=canada 

image.thumb.png.db91ace9b830deade85d7e283100b438.png

(And it is a nice upgrade to the canopy / tent facility that was there.) 

image.thumb.png.cca4ff0766fce05853f8b29c38306d62.png

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is helpful info. Thank you. I have boarding passes indicating that we report to Ross Gaudreault Cruise Terminal, and I see on the Port of Quebec site that on Sept 7 the N Statendam will be docked not at pier 21/22, which is immediately adjacent to Ross Gaudreault; rather on Sept 7 N Statendam will be a pier/wharf/dock 30, which is separated from Ross G Term. I am trying to determine if there is a discrepancy, inconsistency, that needs to be pursued, or not. 

The new terminal has its own separate drive up / drop off, pax management. check-in / luggage facilities, and taxi / car service / Uber ride share is available to/from the door.  As for your boarding pass, think of it more like a gate change at the airport.   First cruise through the facility  wasn't until 04 August.   🙂.   Scott. 

image.thumb.png.15e873157cd1d263538ff943e9f4b5d6.png

Edited by YXU AC*SE
  • Like 2

I am still going to pursue trying to get info about where to go, specifically, upon arrival at the port area.  We will be arriving at the Quebec airport and taking a taxi. What do I say to the driver? Maybe he/she will already know where the drop off location will be, or maybe she/he won’t. I am quite used to arriving at FLL. Get to the security check point, then see the BIG sign with ship names and pier #. Go to the designated pier.

Maybe it is that method, too, at Quebec. Go to 84 Dalhousie…..look for a sign. Or maybe there is some other method for pax arriving at the port. 

I am going to ask my CAA TA to ask HAL. I think there is also an email on the Port of Quebec site…I could ask there, too. 

Yes, there are some similarities with an airport gate change, and what seems to be involved in docking at pier is a distance of perhaps 2 km, from the Ross Gaudreault cruise terminal at pier 21/22. 

My cruise to Quebec City arrives at the end of September, and I've been checking to see where we will dock. Probably won't know for a week. But I did find out that the new terminal can handle more passengers than the old one can. That's why they built it, to manage larger ships better.  On busy days, they can have 4 or 5 ships in port now. 

Google maps gives the terminal address as 300 Rue de l'Estuaire. Do not go to Dalhousie Street. If you look at Google maps, you'll see that the terminals are not near each other--not terribly far as the crow flies but separated by water. 

"Accessing the wharfs
You can access Wharf 30 from Rue de l’Estuaire via Rue Abraham-Martin.
Since the dock is used for industrial operations and recreational activities, only authorized vehicles can access it during cruise season.
Even though the dock is just minutes from Old Québec on foot, a shuttle service is available for passengers and crew members."

https://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/information-for-cruise-ship-passengers/access-to-docks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broon said:

I am still going to pursue trying to get info about where to go, specifically, upon arrival at the port area.  

Please don't stress about this. Drive to the first address -84 Dalhousie -and if the ship isn't there, drive  to the new terminal. The ship will be at one, or the other.   

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

If you take an Uber to the port have your port location written down in French.  Our Uber driver took us to a working pier, no cruise ships there. Of course the meter was running.  Thankfully I had the address of the port on paper..  another few dollars to get to the correct location.  

10 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

If you take an Uber to the port have your port location written down in French.  Our Uber driver took us to a working pier, no cruise ships there. Of course the meter was running.  Thankfully I had the address of the port on paper..  another few dollars to get to the correct location.  

There are meters in uber rides?  

We were docked at Quai 30 on our recent Caribbean Princess cruise . They offered shuttles close to the old terminal but it was definitely less convenient then the old location . It was however just a 10 minute walk to Gare du Palais , the Via train station .