Any tips for choosing Westerdam veranda cabin for Alaska cruise?

spleenstomper

No mid ship available. Fore or aft and some rear facing afts are available. 

I simply have no idea what would be best.

Also, is it better to be higher or lower or does it not matter? I think deck 4-8 are available. 

Any helpful hints? Thank you! 

I don’t get seasick and I have done all of these choices on CCL but aft was an aft wrap (darn the luck, none available)

If you don't get seasick it probably doesn't matter whether you are fore or aft, or high or low.  My only recommendation would be to pick a cabin on a deck that has cabins above and below,  instead of being under the Lido or above the main theatre.  

• Like 2

Went on the Westerdam in mid August. Had an aft facing balcony on deck 8 ( only ones left when we booked) right under the pool deck. Really liked it. There was occasional noise from the above deck, some music when they had something going on, but not enough to disturb anything. The lido was further into the ship and I didn't notice a lot of deck chair noise.  I was concerned being on the upper level, but I think the noise and vibration were better there than lower. The MDR had quite a bit of movement and noise and we didn't have that. Really liked the balcony - no wind and the views were great.

• Like 1

@Daisyloo thanks for the reminder! Lol. I’m out of practice and didn’t even remember that tip.

@vswan you were in a rear facing aft? I was very curious how that would be and I feel like I’m leaning toward one of those, thanks. I’m going to go look at availability again.

ETA: rear facings on deck 4 and 8 are available.

Edited by spleenstomper

52 minutes ago, spleenstomper said:

ETA: rear facings on deck 4 and 8 are available.

Deck 4 aft would be above the MDR most distant from the galley. Deck 8 would be under the Seaview (Aft) pool deck. If sound/noises are of concern, I would go with Deck 4. Dining room noise is mostly not at late night. Pool deck cleaning and dragging of loungers is in the wee hours of the morning, just when you were hoping to sleep. And noise comes through the ceiling more than the floor...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Deck 4 aft would be above the MDR most distant from the galley. Deck 8 would be under the Seaview (Aft) pool deck. If sound/noises are of concern, I would go with Deck 4. Dining room noise is mostly not at late night. Pool deck cleaning and dragging of loungers is in the wee hours of the morning, just when you were hoping to sleep. And noise comes through the ceiling more than the floor...

Thanks, that link was helpful, I’m still choosing though. 

12 hours ago, spleenstomper said:

@vswan you were in a rear facing aft? I was very curious how that would be and I feel like I’m leaning toward one of those, thanks. I’m going to go look at availability again.

Yes, we were in rear facing. One of the best things about it was no wind. I can't say if deck 4 or 8 would be better since we never stayed on 4. Can tell you that I was concerned about the higher deck because of more motion. Generally choose center, lower cabins. Noticed that the motion in the dining room rear on deck 2/3 was much more than we experienced on deck 8 and had great views from 8. Would choose this same deck again. There was limited noise from above, but we were doing Alaska and they didn't do a lot of deck chair moving around. Did have people looking out on the top deck and they could see us if they looked down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vswan said:

Yes, we were in rear facing. One of the best things about it was no wind. I can't say if deck 4 or 8 would be better since we never stayed on 4. Can tell you that I was concerned about the higher deck because of more motion. Generally choose center, lower cabins. Noticed that the motion in the dining room rear on deck 2/3 was much more than we experienced on deck 8 and had great views from 8. Would choose this same deck again. There was limited noise from above, but we were doing Alaska and they didn't do a lot of deck chair moving around. Did have people looking out on the top deck and they could see us if they looked down.

Thanks, the only remaining question I had was how much of the sky could you see? I was imaging looking back at a large night sky vista and star watching and looking for auroras.  But it seems the balconies are pretty well covered. Thanks. 

Our balcony had about a 2 foot cover near the patio door and the rest was wide open. The only issue I would point out that we were not in a corner balcony and your view was pretty much straight out the back, you needed to be at the railing to see very much right or left, but that would be the same with pretty much any balcony.

4 minutes ago, vswan said:

Our balcony had about a 2 foot cover near the patio door and the rest was wide open. The only issue I would point out that we were not in a corner balcony and your view was pretty much straight out the back, you needed to be at the railing to see very much right or left, but that would be the same with pretty much any balcony.

Yes, that is where I’m stuck. I LOVED our aft wrap when we had one.  Plus it’s pretty desolate back in aft in hallways which is fine, but I’m likely solo for this cruise. 

Edited by spleenstomper

46 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

Deck 4 balconies are deeper. And you could try to get one of the cabins with double wide balcony. 4164 and 4166.

Ok, I just saw this. What is the structure by these balconies that give them more space? I’m going to go see if one of these is open. Thanks. 

ETA: they are both booked but thanks for drawing my attention to them

Edited by spleenstomper

42 minutes ago, Chickadee910 said:

We don’t get seasick and are on a cruise for the balcony and view, so for us it matters whether we want to see the coast or the ocean when near land. Check your itinerary.

Yea, that is sort of what I did: figured I’d want to see more land and things on the way up when I’m excited and then more of a sea view when we are going back. 

57 minutes ago, grest said:

Definitely rear facing aft....we did this and it was superb.

Darn it. 

I may not have mentioned this is just a look see trip for me because I’m so bored. I’ll definitely check them out so when I go back with DH, we might try for an aft or an aft wrap.