Live Reports - Cruising on Coral Princess September 2022.

We had lovely wander around Penneshaw, had superb coffee at the Fat Beagle Coffee Shop - best coffee I've had in a long time even though it was in takeaway cups! I bought some Melaleuca and Mallee honey and a pretty pair of earrings from the market. We decided to head back to the ship for lunch though as the MDR has been open for lunch on some of the port days. I hope they keep on doing that for the Sept 26th cruise.

The seas are a little higher now, most just wind waves though. Still relatively light compared with the seas on the way down here. Kangaroo Island really is putting on a beautiful day for us for this time of year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Looks quite calm - all I can say is have a great day and looks like the Captain got the weather right 👍

Not too bad, every now and then the seas get up a little bit rougher so tendering is slower than what it could be. There are quite a few with accessibility issues still  going on the tenders which slows everything down, at least we have all day here, last tender at 6pm.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've seen kangaroo warning signs, koala warning signs, emu warning signs, cassowary warning signs but this is the first time I've seen a penguin warning sign.

20220919_115952.jpg

I haven't seen a penguin warning sign like you saw Julie but have seen a sign with 'Please check under your car before driving away' at Phillip Island. There is also an echidna warning sign close to friends' property in south west Gippsland, not too far from Phillip Island.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We had lovely wander around Penneshaw, had superb coffee at the Fat Beagle Coffee Shop - best coffee I've had in a long time even though it was in takeaway cups! I bought some Melaleuca and Mallee honey and a pretty pair of earrings from the market. We decided to head back to the ship for lunch though as the MDR has been open for lunch on some of the port days. I hope they keep on doing that for the Sept 26th cruise.

The seas are a little higher now, most just wind waves though. Still relatively light compared with the seas on the way down here. Kangaroo Island really is putting on a beautiful day for us for this time of year.

I realise you are on the Coral Princess, but on P&O they now have the dining room open for lunch on tender-port days but closed as usual if the ship is docked on a port day. Maybe Princess is doing the same.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I haven't seen a penguin warning sign like you saw Julie but have seen a sign with 'Please check under your car before driving away' at Phillip Island. There is also an echidna warning sign close to friends' property in south west Gippsland, not too far from Phillip Island.

We have lots of children walking signs in Canberra, mainly by schools, have never checked under the car for them though.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

It was on the main road down to the ferry terminal and tender wharf. Apparently penguins nest along that part of the Kangaroo Island coast. Hopefully the seals down the other end of the island haven't figured that out yet! 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I realise you are on the Coral Princess, but on P&O they now have the dining room open for lunch on tender-port days but closed as usual if the ship is docked on a port day. Maybe Princess is doing the same.

They had it open on the last day in Melbourne as well, but not the first two days there.

There weren't many people in the MDR today so who knows whether they will continue doing it. I'll try to remember to check on pur next cruise - there are three tender ports on that.

I really enjoyed my day on Kangaroo Island today! I went to Cape Willoughby where a very large kangaroo seemed to pose for us to to take photos near the lighthouse!  Then on to a winery afterwards. 

This is my fourth cruise on Coral this year although I did cruise on her before in Alaska many years ago. 

I also met ex neighbours and people I have previously cruised with. I enjoyed meeting Julie and Rolf who invited me to join them for drinks tonight in Crooners bar. I met Les at lunch and also Mic and Rosie on a tour. Looking forward to going home to some good weather for a month before my next cruise to NZ! 

Have fun cruising! 

Joyce 😊

• Like 5

6 hours ago, queenslander said:

I really enjoyed my day on Kangaroo Island today! I went to Cape Willoughby where a very large kangaroo seemed to pose for us to to take photos near the lighthouse!  Then on to a winery afterwards. 

This is my fourth cruise on Coral this year although I did cruise on her before in Alaska many years ago. 

I also met ex neighbours and people I have previously cruised with. I enjoyed meeting Julie and Rolf who invited me to join them for drinks tonight in Crooners bar. I met Les at lunch and also Mic and Rosie on a tour. Looking forward to going home to some good weather for a month before my next cruise to NZ! 

Have fun cruising! 

Joyce 😊

I'm glad you enjoyed your day on KI and were able to meet fellow cruise critic members. Now you have your NZ cruise to look forward to.  

7 hours ago, queenslander said:

Have fun cruising! 

Joyce 😊

We did the morning tour, winery and then Cape Willoughby. Had some wine sent home. We also walked around Penneshaw and checked out the markets. Spent the afternoon reading on my balcony as it had some sun, felt I needed to get some use out of it this cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Actually we left early, last tender was 6pm for a 7pm departure but we were already leaving at 6.35pm.

I think the tracking site I use hasn't been updating. It shows Coral's position where you would likely have been at 9pm, and it looks like all ships are running late. Enjoy!!

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I think the tracking site I use hasn't been updating. It shows Coral's position where you would likely have been at 9pm, and it looks like all ships are running late. Enjoy!!

Currently off the Victorian south coast sort of near Portland.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, queenslander said:

I also met ex neighbours and people I have previously cruised with. I enjoyed meeting Julie and Rolf who invited me to join them for drinks tonight in Crooners bar. I met Les at lunch and also Mic and Rosie on a tour.

Looks as if you met the important people then! 🙂 

We have also met the same people before - well perhaps not your ex neighbours. 🙂 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was Pub Lunch in the MDR today. I had some very nice fish and chips. Rolf had a ploughmans lunch. Other choices were bangers and mash or steak and kidney pie. Dessert was very yummy bread and butter pudding.

How was the ploughman's lunch? Has the potential to be awesome or ordinary, or anywhere between.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was Pub Lunch in the MDR today. I had some very nice fish and chips. Rolf had a ploughmans lunch. Other choices were bangers and mash or steak and kidney pie. Dessert was very yummy bread and butter pudding.

I had the pie with a side of mash, and then the pudding