Live (again) From The Venture

FlyingScotSailors

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

FlyingScotSailors was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

We are on board!

We will try to post fairly regularly and not get distracted by all the things we should be doing instead of posting on CC.

Once on board, the only problem is a noise from the AC in the suite; will update, hopefully that all is well.  Getting to the ship was a bit of a problem,  since Seabourn did not tell us the departure pier had been changed to the other side of the city. The positive side is that we contributed another $30 to the taxi driver and the Iceland economy. 

We know many of the crew, and several we did not remember remembered us.  There were some crew  changes today.  Stig Betten (sp?) Is Master and Stefan is HM.

Food so far is good.   We spoke with the Executive Chef and he seems to understand our dietary needs.

The drinks, wine etc.are perfect.  The staff are joyful and accommodating and so far, everything has been beautiful. 

• Like 9

Thanks for reporting. Glad you're safely onboard.

The engineers were working overtime on our trip fixing HVAC and other issues. Mostly in the hallways.  We had issues with our door to the balcony whistling.  They did a great job, and said they were very busy attending to all the things that went wonky from normal ship settling. Hope they fix yours easily.

Enjoy the trip! We got off as you got on and experienced the same thing when looking for the ship. We came in to Reykjavik a few days early and got lucky when a morning walk along the water revealed the Venture at the downtown dock- not the location shown on our boarding pass! 

We had a great time so sure you will too. The Seabourn team, especially the expedition team are fantastic!

We had Josh Leibowitz and a coterie of Seabourn brass on board who got many ear fulls of suggestions/complaints/why on earth did the ship designers do that??? About the ship itself and other things. Will be interesting to see what others notice. 

Have fun!!! Looking forward to seeing your trip.

• Like 1

Tuesday September 6th,  a sea day and a chance to get on with my posting.

Note the change to singular; I (Peter) usually write and Ann reviews and adds as required.  Now she is off to the hot tub and I am struggling to write on my phone.   She may post independently.

So far, using a rubber-tipped pen, it is much better than using a fat finger on the phone's tiny keyboard.  I don't constantly hit the delete or spacebar  instead of letters on the bottom line. It may make it easier and faster, but I still have to watch out for autocorrect!  It is much quieter, with many fewer four letter words.

I will try posting several smaller posts rather than one long one, to see if that makes it easier for you and me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, here is an amazing discovery aboard the Venture. I believe they put the hot tubs on aft deck 5 in backwards.  Excitement built as the wind and cold hit me after I took off my robe, I climbed down the ladder and boy that was a really big step to find the ledge!  After a few minutes, I discovered two interior entrance steps on the opposite side f the ladder.

They had installed the hot tub  incorrectly but still it was a glorious soak.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Oh, brother. Well, someone had better refit those hot tubs asap. All Seabourn needs is for someone to slip and fall and then claim damages for injury big-time. And whoever was so negligent during installation should take responsibility. It’s probably some combination of a contractor and whoever at Seabourn signed off on it. Thinking about what’s next, and what might happen when the word gets out, you better enjoy the hot rubs now and before they are decommissioned!

Happy and healthy sailing!

1 hour ago, markham said:

Thinking about what’s next, and what might happen when the word gets out, you better enjoy the hot rubs now and before they are decommissioned!

Thanks for that insight.  We had not considered the consequences,  and might wait to report.   However Ann would like to report the problem and get a large reward. 😳

• Like 2

Quick rewrite of lost post:

Eleanor,  we would love to share a zodiac again with you. 

The AC  technician replaced a panel in the hall AC compartment and solved the noise problem. 

In Heimey yesterday, we did two tours. The included tour was very good,  with 26 guests.   Heimey is a very beautiful and fascinating place.   The story of the volcanic eruption is fascinating, and the views of the lava flow amazing.  Very good museum. 

The afternoon optional (paid) Food Tour was nice,  with 23 guests,  but the included tour was better. 

We docked instead of taking zodiacs to shore.  The submarine tours were canceled due to sea conditions and zodiac tours offered to all guests. 

• Like 2

There are 177 guests on board, and 238 crew.

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Hope you enjoyed the Northern Lights this morning as they were amazing.   I am still waiting for them to load from my iPhone to the cloud but after that I will post them.

We got up Sunday night to see the Lights, which looked like clouds.   Last night we were too tired to get dressed in the middle of the night. Ann looked from our balcony and did not think the lights looked any better,.  The pictures we saw from the photo expert were phenomenal, but we are not sure what could be seen with the naked eye. Juan thinks Greenland will provide more opportunities. 

• Like 1

Ann and Peter, sounds like you’re having a great time.  We’re not too far from you, presently on a two week break in Shetland, where we’ve spent around sixteen weeks since visiting on that Quest Route of the Vikings with you!  See what Seabourn started 😀.  We saw the lights Saturday night from our garden, like a white arc to the naked eye, confirmed with my iPhone they looked fine on camera but couldn’t be bothered setting up the tripod which was right next to me as we’ve seen much better displays here and in Alta/Lofoten.  I did stare at the Milky Way though and various satellites. Go have a look if you get chance.  The next night was meant to be stronger but it was cloudy here.  Look forward to your next reports, Eleanor and Neil x

Edited by galeforce9

Friday, September 9th.   Hello Internet!

Yesterday was an unexpected sea day,  but no Internet connection,  so unable to take advantage of the extra time to post.   There were high winds in Umilik Bay preventing kayak and sub trips, and ice blocking the entrance to the Bay itself, so we had a slow sail to Skjoldungen Fjord, where we stayed overnight. 

Zodiac excursion this morning. 

20220909_112645.thumb.jpg.c6444dc352308897fd2c276e2fdc5d06.jpg

20220909_082819.thumb.jpg.f3efb09ebcf5d6932abf535566377c9a.jpg

• Like 2

Zodiac tours today were at 9:30 and 11:00am.  They were about 90 minutes long and the sound of the ice melting, waterfalls and crashing calving glaciers onto the fjord were majestic.  Calm skies with majestic peaks made our zodiac experience extra special.

Upon our return to the ship, Juan, the Ventures  team leader, from his Zodiac, called over to us to wish us a happy 50th Wedding Anniversary.  Another Seabourn Moment. 20220909_102910.thumb.jpg.f27b6b37814de8899981870e07c464ba.jpg

• Like 4

Food has been good to great. Some standards,  such as twice baked cheese souffle, were outstanding.  A beef Wellington,  made  low-sodium especially for us was not so good.  We mentioned this to our waiter and almost immediately Chef Ainsley was at our table apologizing.  We told him (truthfully) that almost all the food was great, and that we appreciated the special attention. 

The entire crew has been up to pre-covid standards. A wonderful cruise so far.

We started talking with the new executive pastry chef on Sunday.  We now get a special dessert at dinner. 

20220908_203826.thumb.jpg.a00132d279ee830c119159d9ee67a9f7.jpg

20220907_211742.thumb.jpg.7772b3f66de31d9badf9ac1b3f9e9320.jpg

20220906_204855.thumb.jpg.9738b72157c286d88810eae667738625.jpg

• Like 5

Saturday in sunny Aappilattoq! This morning we traveled up a fjord to set our eyes on a truly beautiful glacier. The jagged granitic cliffs surrounding our ship made this viewing quite spectacular.  Afterwards we sailed to the remote village of Aappilattoq. Some passengers hiked an amazing steep granite hill/mountain, I think they are still up there! They looked like tiny ants wearing yellow parkers. We took the constant Uber Zodiac to the dock and participated somewhat with the Ventures town tour. Blue skies, choppy seas and a shakey ramp to land but the photographic opportunities were fantastic. Perhaps there are about 100 people in this village. 

I am including photos from today and later I will give you the recap from our delicious Indian dinner from last night.  Perhaps the best Naan I have ever had.

Sometimes there is internet and sometimes none but when there is I will attempt to write quickly.

A of the A&P20220910_101904.thumb.jpg.c0844a2ebbd3a694358ea17eebd525d8.jpg20220910_103211.thumb.jpg.8df089873feafe068542c44b4b075e6a.jpg20220910_114010.thumb.jpg.a6c879f28d0cbfba9b47a3ba746442e1.jpg

• Like 3