Live (again) From The Venture

FlyingScotSailors

Were the villagers expecting you?  Did Seabourn work with people in these remote villages weeks/months before you arrived - to let them know what to expect, etc., or do you simply arrive on their doorsteps unannounced?  Interested to hear what you thought the villagers' reactions were to your visit.

2 hours ago, crickette said:

Were the villagers expecting you?  Did Seabourn work with people in these remote villages weeks/months before you arrived - to let them know what to expect, etc., or do you simply arrive on their doorsteps unannounced?  Interested to hear what you thought the villagers' reactions were to your visit.

We visited the same village of Aappilattoq, and several others, on a Silversea expedition cruise a few years ago. Yes, the cruise company works with the locals to arrange for the visit. They weren't startled to see 200 passengers romping around their town. I guess it happens just often enough that it's not a novelty to them. They're an isolated village, but its not as if it's the outback of Australia. 😉 Kids were playing soccer/football, people were talking on cell phones, the men in the church choir look virtually identical to the picture I have from our visit in 2018!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only villagers seen were those in my photos.   There are 4 school age  children at this village and two who are not old enough for school.   The children were kept in their houses, guess we would not be a good influence on them.    We had a coffee and cake even in their school.

Today we are fogged in at  Qaqortoq and when/if it clears we will go into the small town.   It’s Sunday so we don’t know what will be open.    Later we move on to the old Viking ruins.   Both are visited by large ships by Celebrity and Holland America.

• Like 1

We are just starting to get our packing organized for our Venture cruise which starts on the 18th and I was wonder If we should take walking sticks/trekking poles. We have the ones that fold down so they fit in our suitcases. But, I was wondering if they are necessary - or even helpful - for the kind of hikes we are likely to take in Greenland. Your thoughts?

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

@worcestergalI was happy to have my poles in Greenland. Even though hikes were short lots of uneven terrain and wandering over boulders.

@travelordienot a big dance scene on the Venture. But there are oportunities on very small dance floors.

Thanks so much for your advice. I will add my poles to my packing list. 

3 hours ago, travelordie said:

Thanks for this information.   Might not pack our dancing shoes.  Do you recall if the music is live or recorded?

There is live music before and after dinner in 3 venues:  the Constellation Lounge,  the Club, and the Expedition Lounge. The piano player,  guitarist, and the duo rotate daily through the venues. There is recorded music between sets.  Not much dancing this cruise,  but you could request appropriate music; the musicians are generally happy if someone seems to be listening. 

1 hour ago, worcestergal said:

Thanks so much for your advice. I will add my poles to my packing list. 

This morning on our walk around Hvalsey, we would have liked to have the poles we left on board. Until now,  the tours were basically in towns. I asked Expedition Leader Juan if he thought you would need poles next cruise,  and he said he would have to think about it.   Since the plans for this afternoon and tomorrow are being changed due to ice blocking our route,  I will ask him again when he is less stressed. Probably a good idea to take them, as you already decided!  Also,  you may choose more strenuous walk than we do. 

P

20220912_143911.thumb.jpg.502c91da8fb990a750ca0f1f528f8f8c.jpg

• Like 1

We have been watching passengers doing the polar plunge.   Good for them but we did not partake.   I know on the last cruise there were some complaints about the hikes being designed for the elderly but I haven’t heard that on this cruise.   It’s too bad they missed the long hike today because of the ice in the passage.   Let’s see where the captain can take us tomorrow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

There is live music before and after dinner in 3 venues:  the Constellation Lounge,  the Club, and the Expedition Lounge. The piano player,  guitarist, and the duo rotate daily through the venues. There is recorded music between sets.  Not much dancing this cruise,  but you could request appropriate music; the musicians are generally happy if someone seems to be listening. 

This morning on our walk around Hvalsey, we would have liked to have the poles we left on board. Until now,  the tours were basically in towns. I asked Expedition Leader Juan if he thought you would need poles next cruise,  and he said he would have to think about it.   Since the plans for this afternoon and tomorrow are being changed due to ice blocking our route,  I will ask him again when he is less stressed. Probably a good idea to take them, as you already decided!  Also,  you may choose more strenuous walk than we do. 

P

20220912_143911.thumb.jpg.502c91da8fb990a750ca0f1f528f8f8c.jpg

Again, many thanks for your help. My trekking poles are now collapsed and ready to go. I even remembered the tips for rocky terrain. (I’m leaving the snow baskets at home, though.  😉). 

On 9/11/2022 at 6:26 AM, Covepointcruiser said:

We had a coffee and cake even in their school.

One of my most significant memories of my three visits to Greenland have been the small cultural shows which included teen-agers performing native dancing,  church choirs, and, always, coffee and cake.  A very welcoming and warm people.  

• Like 1

Hey Flying Scot, 

Should you be chatting up staff, any buzz on the Pursuit progress? Didn't sound positive when I was on board.

When we were in Ittoqqortoormiit it was an event for the kids. They were hanging around the Zodiacs and helping to push. Fun.

Your trip looks fabulous. Keep it coming.

4 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Glad to hear that there is live music.  We will certainly request some of our favourites.

Here's another question.  We're packing now and trying to decide if we should bring empty water bottles from home for excursions ashore or whether Seabourn will provide them.

Seabourn corporate has been working on a new non-alcoholic cocktail program in the past few years, and their corporate manager told me progress has been slower than expected due to provisioning challenges, etc., and this was pre- and during covid.

Any evidence of this mocktail program being rolled out (perhaps partially, even) at the moment on the Venture? 

20220913_103907.thumb.jpg.10a2d864e57c69521b794b5399096aff.jpg20220913_104507.thumb.jpg.d547d38f74723c938108c9d44d9e1615.jpg20220913_103659.thumb.jpg.c57a88f51e8db55975da239dee07aac2.jpg20220913_102520.thumb.jpg.5722cad5b8d7172c9ee099c40d87ec4c.jpg20220913_101055.thumb.jpg.44161ca3f260ea18a5408562d559de7b.jpgWe woke up to another foggy morning. The Zodiacs were ready to shuttle us to shore with a wet landing. Our visit was to an abandoned mining camp at Ivittuut. After we arrived to the shore, we barely could see the Venture but there was a lovely fog rainbow around her. This site was important for mining cryolite in the production of aluminum in WW2. Strategicly important for weather information, etc for the Korean conflict and WW2.

There are abandoned homes and some still in use for hunters.

I will let my photos tell the rest of the story.. (when the internet cooperates)

A  

Edited by FlyingScotSailors
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 6:47 PM, highplanesdrifters said:

Hey Flying Scot, 

Should you be chatting up staff, any buzz on the Pursuit progress? Didn't sound positive when I was on board.

We asked Stefan about the Pursuit.  He said the hull was complete and he saw it "swimming " at the shipyard. He thought another year of fitting out and it would be ready for her maiden voyage in September 2023. He said both Pursuit and Venture would sail to Antarctica for the 2023-2024 season, and then Venture would do cold cruises and Pursuit would do tropics. 

On 9/12/2022 at 9:54 PM, sfvoyage said:

Seabourn corporate has been working on a new non-alcoholic cocktail program in the past few years...

Any evidence of this mocktail program being rolled out (perhaps partially, even) at the moment on the Venture? 

We are totally the wrong people to ask about this!!!

However,  the same Club and "Observation" specialty cocktail menus are still being used.

P

• Haha 1

Speaking about foul weather, we were lucky until yesterday.  Seabourn got it right because there is a closet in the suites with a heater and floor pan to catch the water from our parkers. There also is a closet above for the lifevests. Everything dried beautifully.

Nuuk is a cosmopolitan city, after all, it is the Capital.  Our Zodiac ride  included rain, hail and snow on the ride to the harbor. There was a shed to leave our life vests and a shuttle bus to town center to meet our tour. The walking tour included the National Museum, waterfront and various school buildings. There is a shopping mall with the government offices above.  (The grey tall building photo below,)  It was wonderful, even in the rain.

A

20220915_150822.jpg

20220915_140109.jpg

20220915_135534.jpg

20220915_134248.jpg

20220915_135313.jpg

20220915_135306.jpg

• Like 3

Very happy for the heated closet after yesterday’s rides in the Zodiacs!   Great weather today with a short, sunny ride into another “hilly” but essential Greenland village.  We heard that we will be alongside at one port tomorrow and they will off load garbage and take on some supplies.   At the termination point of this cruise we will be shuttled to shore in Zodiacs so let’s hope for good weather.    They will have local school buses take us to the airport.

• Like 2