Mariner Society Points

CM1984

Has Holland changed how they compute Mariner Society status?  I just looked at the website and it indicates the numbers of cruise days required for each level.  I know in the past we earned points with cruise days and onboard expenditures.  I was hoping we would get to 3 Star on this upcoming cruise, but not so sure now.  😔.

What can you tell me?  TIA

Mimi/ Virginia

16 minutes ago, BlackJack2 said:

I just spoke with someone in the Mariner's Office at HAL.  He said that the Have It All package was not included in your onboard spending.  That it was part of the cost of the cruise.  Soooo confused!!

Me too.  I had an unexpected large bonus point award to one of my cruises and was told that was the reason.  🤷‍♀️

43 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@crystalspinwas explaining one day that if you have HIA there are points as if you had actually purchased all 15 drinks.  Also onboard expenses include the added cost of HIA. 

I probably posted an assumption. We got points for the "full-price dollars" when we had the Signature Beverage Plan -- even when it was rolled into the cruise fare. However I have not sailed since HIA was a thing, so I should not have said it applied to the bonus days... I bow to @BlackJack2's phone convo!

Guess we will just have to buy up the ship to get to 4* this coming winter.

ETA: so with Mary229's experience we have conflicting info. Color me surprised. Guess I will just have to keep fingers crossed.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I probably posted an assumption. We got points for the "full-price dollars" when we had the Signature Beverage Plan -- even when it was rolled into the cruise fare. However I have not sailed since HIA was a thing, so I should not have said it applied to the bonus days... I bow to @BlackJack2's phone convo!

Guess we will just have to buy up the ship to get to 4* this coming winter.

Well this leaves me shaking my head about those bonus points.  It was quite a substantial bonus 

I just don’t know.  Te refresh memory, I had booked a 21 day cruise with the old HIA package. The old HIA was a true perk not an additional cost.  Anyway I bought nothing prior and keep careful records of my on board spending. I ended with with 45 points!   I could only account for about 25 points.  I was not in a suite.  I just go with the flow on this. I think it is sort of mushy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlackJack2 said:

I just spoke with someone in the Mariner's Office at HAL.  He said that the Have It All package was not included in your onboard spending.  That it was part of the cost of the cruise.  Soooo confused!!

It is definitely considered an increase in cruise fare. My TA told me that he would get a higher commission from HAL if we signed up for HIA. 

30 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

It is definitely considered an increase in cruise fare. My TA told me that he would get a higher commission from HAL if we signed up for HIA. 

Also the amount for Cancellation Protection Plans goes up. But that doesn't mean it couldn't ALSO be giving you credits, if they allowed it.

5 hours ago, Junelovestocruise said:

Just checked my account and for a 24 day cruise in an ocean view cabin I received 24 credits for the cruise and an additional 24 points from onboard spending. That would require $7,200 of spending and I can assure you that my sister and I did not spend anything even remotely close to this!

Certainly sounds like they are crediting the $300/day maximum for HIA.  That's in line with our last cruise where we has the Signature Beverage Package (not HIA) and they appeared to have credited 15 x $11 drinks/person toward out daily spending.  Our actual onboard spending didn't come close to $300/day but that's what we got credited per day for Mariner Points.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for the feedback and help.

If I purchase prior to boarding does that still count towards onboard purchases?  (I wouldn’t think so, but wanted to ask anyway.  I have already purchased using gift cards, so maybe I should cancel items, then purchase with OBC?). 

Such decisions! 🤦🏼😂

(and isn’t it just spectacular we will be cruising again? 😎🛳)

• Like 1

We cruised last October on Eurodam in a suite (selected at booking time)  and had HIA included in the booking.  For the 12 day cruise our points were 12 + 12 + 12 = 36 (days + Suite bonus + Spend- HIA).  On board spend points cannot exceed the number of cruise days.

In June on Oosterdam, we booked a last minute reduced price for a Veranda, then got a great price to upgrade to Signature Suite and finally we added HIA at the reduced price on Navigator.

Our points for this cruise were, as expected, 12 + 12 = 24.  (days + Spending HIA) no points for the upgrade to SS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2022 at 7:25 PM, jimgev said:

How about "Club Orange"? If you add that on, does it count to Mariner Points?

If you book specialty dining prior to the cuise, does that count for Mariner Points?

No, club orange won't count towards the points as it is the price of your room.  Yes, to the specialty dining.

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean.

For a 7-night cruise, that would be a max of 7 points earned through onboard spending. If they grant 1 point for every $300 spent… 7 x $300 = $2100 of onboard spending. So if you spent $3000, you wouldn’t earn 10 points, you’d still get 7.

I suppose that’s not bad from a pure loyalty perspective, though - keeps folks from just splashing out on one or two trips and essentially buying their way into higher tiers without accruing much actual sailing time. 🤔

2 hours ago, fieldsofclover said:

I suppose that’s not bad from a pure loyalty perspective, though - keeps folks from just splashing out on one or two trips and essentially buying their way into higher tiers without accruing much actual sailing time. 🤔

I always assumed it was that reasoning, and I never figured to accrue very many points that way, until we discovered how nice SBP and not worrying about every latte or mojito was, and found that we were getting the points for actually more than we drank!  

• Like 1