bring back free gifts at end of cruise

duldrum6

We used to cruise sometimes with our kids when they were growing up. I remember being so grateful for the free gift of just one week of not having to shop at a crowded supermarket, not having to cook meals or clean up the kitchen or wash the dishes and put them away. I remember being thankful for the free gift of being able to try new foods that I would never have paid for in a restaurant back home because maybe I wouldn’t have liked them and it would have been a waste of money. I recall having a sigh of relief at not having to work a full day in a busy office only to dash home to become a chauffeur to Girl Scout meetings, soccer practices, dental appointments for braces, doctor visits for my elderly parents. It was a thrill just to have the free gift of a waiter putting linen napkins across all our laps like we were rich and famous. And how special it felt to only have to make decisions like what clothes to wear to dinner or whether we should go to trivia or a destination lecture that afternoon.Those were all such special free gifts for a super busy mom living a very hectic life.

Now we’re retired. Our children are grown and have places of their own. Mom and dad have passed on, my in-laws too. No more driving to basketball games, Honor Society installations, softball tournaments. Our lives are so much quieter. We often just get ready-made meals from Costco. Although I enjoy the “present” (which is also a gift) I do miss the good old days. And actually I loved being a sports team mom. I loved watching track meets all day even though I was sometimes sitting on a cold metal bench in the rain cheering our kids on. And I miss having our parents around to celebrate afterwards with a nice homemade roast beef dinner around the dining room table. Little did I realize back then that I was surrounded by priceless “free gifts” both on and off our cruises. I think we must all have our own versions of “free gifts” like that. Don’t you agree?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

I'm guessing the OP was being sarcastic

But....I have a "free" RCI logo baseball hat I won playing trivia along with some playing cards, pens and other trinkets from years ago. Nothing from the last 10 years or so.  I have a "free" cup from paying for a drink package once. Never used it. I wonder if it can be activated on a future cruise?

Edited by mac66

I was digging into my "Cruises box" a few weeks ago and found a sealed pack of playing cards AND a boxed set of menu/recipe cards, Towel Folding instructions and "Sweet Dreams" cards.

Who remembers the "North Star Bag in a Ball"?

MenuMemories.JPG

SweetDreams.JPG

Remember when we used to get chocolates at night?  No more freebies.  They could at least give us multiple towel animals.  I was spoiled on my first cruise.  We got a towel animal every other day or so.

Edited by moposh

10 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Maybe he means the C&A ball caps and stuff we used to get in our cabin? But I think that was 1st day.

Yes , thats correct ,  i have 4 caps that i have never worn .

On 9/5/2022 at 9:03 PM, wikoffclan said:

Received a Royal tote bag from my cabin steward near the end of an eastbound TA. One of the Best stewards Ever.... and that was in 2012.... so maybe not a "gift" destined to be repeated. But still a memorable cruise!

Fwiw, Princess was still handing out logoed tote bags as of a couple of months ago.