Her Majesty the Queen dies.

NSWP

2 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Maybe your neck of the woods as well - though perhaps closer to the lake if you can hear Stage 88?

Yes, a short stroll to the lake.  It’s a vibrant village community, and we love being part of it.

With the Australian passport (& possibly the same for other Commonwealth government’s passports) stating on inside cover:  “the Governor General....being the representative in Australia of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, ....”.  I’m assuming current passports will remain valid until end of their expiration date after which new passports will have new wording?  Anyone know if this will be the case?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FeebeeH said:

With the Australian passport (& possibly the same for other Commonwealth government’s passports) stating on inside cover:  “the Governor General....being the representative in Australia of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, ....”.  I’m assuming current passports will remain valid until end of their expiration date after which new passports will have new wording?  Anyone know if this will be the case?

Your passport is valid until the expiry date, or 3 months prior for some travel depending on your destination.

https://www.passports.gov.au/news/will-death-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-affect-production-australian-passports

More, real this time, changes:

all barristers with the title QC automatically changed to KC. I don’t now the implications for court cases, but probably big stationery bills.

The Victorian Parliament sits today. Under the state constitution, all members are required to swear allegiance to the new monarch before taking their place.

• Like 1

People are queueing already for the Queen's Funeral.  People are bringing them free hot food and coffee.  

British people are experts at queueing for long periods in all weather conditions.  When we went over to England for the Queen's Jubilee, we couldn't last waiting on the banks of the Thames, in the cold and wet weather conditions, so went back to our accommodation to watch on TV.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Docker123 said:

The Victorian Parliament sits today. Under the state constitution, all members are required to swear allegiance to the new monarch before taking their place.

I'd have Dan Andrews kneel before the Governor General while swearing that oath

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

The Queen's coffin has arrived at Buckingham Palace in London, from Scotland.  Watching the crowd of people, waiting in the rain to catch a glimpse of the coffin, was very moving.  

I love the way the British show their love and respect for the Queen.  From people on horseback and tractors lining the route to the sole bagpipe player near the Palace to spontaneous cheering and clapping on arrival of the hearse at Buckingham Palace.  Some people will remain camping overnight on the route of the Procession from Buckingham Palace to the Palace of Westminster.

Members of the Royal Family were able to view the coffin privately within Buckingham Palace.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 7:31 AM, Docker123 said:

More, real this time, changes:

all barristers with the title QC automatically changed to KC. I don’t now the implications for court cases, but probably big stationery bills.

And a newly minted KC died the first day of new KCs. Though there aren’t many left in Aus, most jurisdictions switched to SC years ago.

34 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

And a newly minted KC died the first day of new KCs. Though there aren’t many left in Aus, most jurisdictions switched to SC years ago.

That is sad.  What is SC?  Is it equivalent to KC?

I've always felt the law is for the rich and the poor, not for middle class who can't afford it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

That is sad.  What is SC?  Is it equivalent to KC?

I've always felt the law is for the rich and the poor, not for middle class who can't afford it. 

SC is Senior Counsel, a term that has replaces QC (Queens Counsel) or KC (K8ngs Counsel) in most Australian States, I honestly hav3n’t tried to keep up, but I know South Aus was looking at reverting to QC a few years back, not sure if the did or not. NSW changed to SC mid 90s (so over 35 years ago) and also changed from a tap on the shoulder by the Attorney General to an application to the Bar Association, there can’t be many KCs left in NSW, but I do know a couple 

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

SC is Senior Counsel, a term that has replaces QC (Queens Counsel) or KC (K8ngs Counsel) in most Australian States, I honestly hav3n’t tried to keep up, but I know South Aus was looking at reverting to QC a few years back, not sure if the did or not. NSW changed to SC mid 90s (so over 35 years ago) and also changed from a tap on the shoulder by the Attorney General to an application to the Bar Association, there can’t be many KCs left in NSW, but I do know a couple 

Somewhere around 2012-2015 or so,  Victoria introduced a scheme that allowed SCs to apply to be grant QC status. It was widely taken up.

22 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Somewhere around 2012-2015 or so,  Victoria introduced a scheme that allowed SCs to apply to be grant QC status. It was widely taken up.

Thanks I knew some states had made that move, or were looking at it. Personally it seems more people understand QC KC than understand SC.

Love the old wording

”One of Her Majesty’s Counsel, Learned in the Law” had a dear friend who loved signing off that way. (But even more loved admitting he knew nothing about law, but could hold a jury in the palm of his hand for hours on end)

8 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Thank you.  Kings Counsel sounds more impressive that Senior Counsel.  

10.30 pm local time waiting for the Queen's coffin to travel to Westminster Hall from Buckingham Palace. 

The empty gun carriage has just appeared on the way to Buckingham Palace.  

The things I remember from these Royal Processions are the sounds of marching feet and the rolling wheels breaking the silence.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The things I remember from these Royal Processions are the sounds of marching feet and the rolling wheels breaking the silence.  

It was supposed to be silent apart from Big Ben. Traditional, respectful.

Then a Scotsman in the crowd in Edinburgh made an astute observation about Prince Andrew live on BBC News, which was loud enough to be broadcast all over the world.

So here we are, a big band for HM covering up dissenting views about the Royals.

17 minutes ago, vegemeter said:

So here we are, a big band for HM covering up dissenting views about the Royals.

An Australian was arrested in Scotland yesterday for a similar deed. I agree with his observation, but there is a time and a place for everything. Not the time, nor the place.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

10.30 pm local time waiting for the Queen's coffin to travel to Westminster Hall from Buckingham Palace. 

The empty gun carriage has just appeared on the way to Buckingham Palace.  

BBC has dedicated live streaming of the public paying their final respects to the Queen as she lies in State in Westminster Hall.  Members of the Public can pay their respects virtually, if they are unable to attend in person.  

12 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

BBC has dedicated live streaming of the public paying their final respects to the Queen as she lies in State in Westminster Hall.  Members of the Public can pay their respects virtually, if they are unable to attend in person.  

The people in the queues are inspirational:  their patience, their reverence, their sense of gratitude to a beloved Queen.  The current queue length, according to the BBC roving reporter just now:  eight miles💂🏻🇬🇧💔