Ship questions for a newbie

sandybambi

Hi , I just booked my cruise for Alaska May 2023 With RCI Brilliance of the Seas

for our Anniversary, this is my 2nd cruise and I'm still a newbie.  

I have a question about the drink package, I'm not a big alcoholic drinker and can go without it , my husband - well not so much.

The package is very expensive.

1-if we buy a drink package (non alcoholic) , would that be the option to go? and if my husband buys any alcoholic drinks - he as to pay for it on the spot?

2- can we bring a case of water on the ship, or beer ? or is there bottle fountains , can i bring a refillable water bottle ?

any frugal tips is much appreciated!!

You are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine and a 12 pack of soda per stateroom onboard. I really cannot answer question 1 as it differs per person but if you think your husband will have at a minimum 5-6 alcoholic drinks per day then the drink package may be worth it especially depending on how much other non alcoholic drinks you and your husband have.

30 minutes ago, sandybambi said:

can we bring a case of water on the ship, or beer ? or is there bottle fountains , can i bring a refillable water bottle ?

Yes, you can bring a case of water on the ship.  I saw someone doing that on my last cruise.

There are not any fountains to refill water bottles.  You will need to fill a cup with water and pour water into your water bottle.

I suggest on your survey after cruise to tell them they need water refilling stations.  If enough people say that, maybe they'll get them.

Have fun!

Edited by moposh

43 minutes ago, sandybambi said:

Hi , I just booked my cruise for Alaska May 2023 With RCI Brilliance of the Seas

I have a question about the drink package, I'm not a big alcoholic drinker and can go without it , my husband - well not so much.

The package is very expensive.

1-if we buy a drink package (non alcoholic) , would that be the option to go? and if my husband buys any alcoholic drinks - he as to pay for it on the spot?

2- can we bring a case of water on the ship, or beer ? or is there bottle fountains , can i bring a refillable water bottle ?

any frugal tips is much appreciated!!

You have to call for only your husband to buy the drink pkg. And you buy the refreshment pkg which isnt that cheap.

If he buys onboard both of you will be charged. 

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You have to call for only your husband to buy the drink pkg. And you buy the refreshment pkg which isnt that cheap.

If he buys onboard both of you will be charged. 

Someone recently reported that calling RCCL and being able to purchase the Deluxe Beverage Package for one, but instead having to buy the Refreshment package for the other, they were allowed to purchase the Coffee Card.  That's a big savings because the coffee card is a total price of about $30, where the Refreshment Package is $30+/day.  I'm not sure if that was a fluke, or something you can negotiate with the CSR.

Edited by rudeney
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rudeney said:

Someone recently reported that calling RCCL and being able to purchase the Deluxe Beverage Package for one, but instead having to buy the Refreshment package for the other, they were allowed to purchase the Coffee Card.  That's a big savings because the coffee card is a total price of about $30, where the Refreshment Package is $30+/day.  I'm not sure if that was a fluke, or something you can negotiate with the CSR.

I saw that post. I just wasnt counting on it happening. Doesnt hurt to ask. 

Just now, firefly333 said:

I saw that post. I just wasnt counting on it happening. Doesnt hurt to ask. 

It makes me wonder...maybe the RCCL sales system just requires some "drink package" for each person in the cabin when DBNP is orders, so it will accept the Coffee Card as an option.  If the CSR's are on commission, they may be "enticing" passengers into more expensive options.  I've even heard some people claim they were told a "doctor's note" was required for those in the room not buying the DBP.

On 9/9/2022 at 3:25 PM, Merion_Mom said:

That's 12 bottles/cans of no more than 17 ounces/half a liter each of any non-alcoholic beverage:  water, juice, soda.

Is that per person or per stateroom? I've seen those numbers posted before (on a blog site) so don't doubt you, but I was unable to find this in any RC FAQ. Do you have a link?

Edited by publicpersona

Per stateroom.

Policy is:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

Current eDocs say:

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines (vermouth, sherry, sake, and port wines) or nonalcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine or champagne onboard only on embarkation day, limited to two (2) bottles (no boxes) of 750 mi per stateroom. Wine should be brought onboard via carry on if possible. Luggage containing wine or champagne will not be delivered to the stateroom and guests will need to retrieve their luggage from security once the ship has set sail. Only staterooms with at least one (1) guest over 21 years of age are eligible to bring bottles of wine or champagne onboard. Guests may request a corkscrew to use for opening bottles in their stateroom. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect the bottles and if they appear to have been tampered with, they will not be allowed to be brought onboard. Security may also inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Not seeing the water/soda policy any more.  Certainly saw people bringing on cases of water and soda both at sailing and in ports last week.

On 9/9/2022 at 12:09 PM, sandybambi said:

You pay for nothing on the spot, It is just added to your daily charges, cost of drink +18%,  which you pay at the end of the cruise. 

2 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Is that per person or per stateroom? I've seen those numbers posted before (on a blog site) so don't doubt you, but I was unable to find this in any RC FAQ. Do you have a link?

Technically per stateroom. But there is zero way for the shoreside rent-a-cops at security to say two people carrying water are in the same room. 

That being said, 12 bottles of water is really heavy to be carrying theough security, through checkin, theough boarding, through lunch until your room is ready. We just bite the bullet and pay for water on the ship. 

30 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

That being said, 12 bottles of water is really heavy to be carrying theough security, through checkin, theough boarding, through lunch until your room is ready.

I believe people have reported having it in their baggage. My possibly wanting to do this is to ensure a particular type of water is available to us, not to simply avoid buying it on the ship.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

That being said, 12 bottles of water is really heavy to be carrying theough security, through checkin, theough boarding, through lunch until your room is ready. We just bite the bullet and pay for water on the ship. 

Bags with wheels are your friends.

• Like 1