Trip insurance for cruise and pre cruise travel in Europe

dleahy4444

We will be traveling through Europe prior to cruise and visiting several European ports while on the cruise. It was suggested to me that we purchase travel insurance to cover unexpected medical costs. I’m not familiar travel insurance. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks

The board can be useful but also overwhelming with lots of new information and sometimes conflicting advice. Use it to familiarize yourself with the subject, then call the often-recommended Steve or one of his agents at the Trip Insurance Store to find the right policy for your needs/situation.

It does not cost anything extra to use their professional service because insurance is regulated by each state. Price is determined by age, amount insured, length of trip, and level of coverage. A comprehensive policy will protect you against cancellation and trip interruption/delay as well as medical costs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Babr said:

The board can be useful but also overwhelming with lots of new information and sometimes conflicting advice. Use it to familiarize yourself with the subject, then call the often-recommended Steve or one of his agents at the Trip Insurance Store to find the right policy for your needs/situation.

It does not cost anything extra to use their professional service because insurance is regulated by each state. Price is determined by age, amount insured, length of trip, and level of coverage. A comprehensive policy will protect you against cancellation and trip interruption/delay as well as medical costs.

This is very helpful thanks 

• Like 1

Make sure you check your credit cards and validate what they cover, and the amounts for trip cancellation, trip interruption, emergency evacuation, etc. 

If our trip is below the amount our credit card covers---we don't purchase additional insurance. We do have GeoBlue travel health insurance for coverage out of US. (Medicare does not cover out of US).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Make sure you check your credit cards and validate what they cover, and the amounts for trip cancellation, trip interruption, emergency evacuation, etc. 

If our trip is below the amount our credit card covers---we don't purchase additional insurance. We do have GeoBlue travel health insurance for coverage out of US. (Medicare does not cover out of US).

Another great suggestion! Thanks so much

53 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

I just went to the GeoBlue site and put in my information but apparently I’m not eligible ( maybe because I’m in NY?) it did refer me to HTH Travel Insurance. Does anyone have experience with this company? Thanks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Another great suggestion! Thanks so much

Just know that credit card insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions. If there is anything in your medical history that can be attributed to your reason for cancellation, the claim will be denied. They will look at any reported symptoms, tests, treatments, and even RX changes.

Travel delay is minimal ($500 pp) and limited to mechanical problems - not illness.

Medical is also minimal to non-existent, depending on the policy. The terms in some cases dictate that they arrange the evacuation rather than your primary insurance, which could complicate things.

Credit card insurance does not perform the same as a comprehensive travel policy. It is merely a bit of protection applicable in some cases in return for your annual fee.

Being from New York is all the more reason to consult a professional because New York has some unique regulations affecting travel insurance.

2 hours ago, broker1217 said:

(Medicare does not cover out of US).

Though many Medicare Advantage plans do.  Oddly enough, our United Health plan thru AARP even has $0 deductibles overseas where the same visit at home costs some .. e.g., ER visits at home are $90, and $0 overseas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babr said:

Just know that credit card insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions. If there is anything in your medical history that can be attributed to your reason for cancellation, the claim will be denied. They will look at any reported symptoms, tests, treatments, and even RX changes.

Travel delay is minimal ($500 pp) and limited to mechanical problems - not illness.

Medical is also minimal to non-existent, depending on the policy. The terms in some cases dictate that they arrange the evacuation rather than your primary insurance, which could complicate things.

Credit card insurance does not perform the same as a comprehensive travel policy. It is merely a bit of protection applicable in some cases in return for your annual fee.

Being from New York is all the more reason to consult a professional because New York has some unique regulations affecting travel insurance.

Thanks, there is definitely a learning curve for me. The hubby has a call in to Steve from the trip insurance store for guidance. He is also calling the credit card company to get an idea of any benefits as well

1 minute ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thanks, there is definitely a learning curve for me. The hubby has a call in to Steve from the trip insurance store for guidance. He is also calling the credit card company to get an idea of any benefits as well

Refer to the Guide to Benefits that came with your card. If you have misplaced it, you can access it online. You are bound by the written provisions, not what the Customer Service agent tells you on the phone; but seek clarification of any part you don’t understand once you have studied it. Note that Trip Interruption will reimburse for the unused nonrefundable expenses if your trip is cut short for a covered reason but only the change fees for return transportation - nothing additional if you had to buy new tickets.

As I said earlier, the level of benefit depends on the card; however,  any of them will provide only partial protection for travel risks and little to none for medical.

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Refer to the Guide to Benefits that came with your card. If you have misplaced it, you can access it online. You are bound by the written provisions, not what the Customer Service agent tells you on the phone; but seek clarification of any part you don’t understand once you have studied it. Note that Trip Interruption will reimburse for the unused nonrefundable expenses if your trip is cut short for a covered reason but only the change fees for return transportation - nothing additional if you had to buy new tickets.

As I said earlier, the level of benefit depends on the card; however,  any of them will provide only partial protection for travel risks and little to none for medical.

Thanks

19 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

I just went to the GeoBlue site and put in my information but apparently I’m not eligible ( maybe because I’m in NY?) it did refer me to HTH Travel Insurance. Does anyone have experience with this company? Thanks

I always use GeoBlue. I live in NJ. One has to have primary insurance to qualify, but I get it mainly for the emergency evacuation insurance, so I don’t inadvertently get stuck in some remote “hospital” in port “Where-Is-That?”. 

16 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Steve and the team do an excellent job. Enjoy your trip!

Steve is super to visit with, so give them a call oncce you know exactly what you need to ask and he will educate you, even on companies that have cheaper coverage, even though they are under the same company.

Edited by Lastdance

3 hours ago, njguy_south said:

I always use GeoBlue. I live in NJ. One has to have primary insurance to qualify, but I get it mainly for the emergency evacuation insurance, so I don’t inadvertently get stuck in some remote “hospital” in port “Where-Is-That?”. 

Unfortunately I can’t seem to get that in NY. 

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

Steve is super to visit with, so give them a call oncce you know exactly what you need to ask and he will educate you, even on companies that have cheaper coverage, even though they are under the same company.

Thanks, it seems that he is everyone’s recommendation. I haven’t been able to get him on the phone yet because he has limited hours on the weekend but I’m sure we will connect soon. I definitely need an education on all of this. The hubby called Medicare and the rep told him that we are covered in Europe which I don’t think is correct 

25 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thanks, it seems that he is everyone’s recommendation. I haven’t been able to get him on the phone yet because he has limited hours on the weekend but I’m sure we will connect soon. I definitely need an education on all of this. The hubby called Medicare and the rep told him that we are covered in Europe which I don’t think is correct 

Medicare itself does not cover you outside the US, but Medicare Advantage or Medigap plans  do with varying levels of coverage depending on each plan.

• Like 1

I never travel without travel insurance.  My husband (at 61) passed away two weeks before a scheduled cruise- I got a full refund within a couple weeks from the cruise line insurance.  I was "stranded " in Puerto Rico for three days after a cruise because of a storm in the Northeast and could not fly home.  The insurance paid for hotel and food for those three days.  It also happened in Ft. Lauderdale after a cruise when the Super Bowl was in Miami - a storm canceled our flights home.  Again the insurance paid for hotel and food for those three days.  

Unfortunately,  New York State is not allowing us to buy insurance from the cruise lines - and I just had to pay twice as much for insurance from Insure My Trip.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 2:43 PM, canderson said:

Though many Medicare Advantage plans do.  Oddly enough, our United Health plan thru AARP even has $0 deductibles overseas where the same visit at home costs some .. e.g., ER visits at home are $90, and $0 overseas.

Our Aetna Medicare Premier Plan PPO offers worldwide coverage also.  Even medical evacuation coverage.

• Thanks 1

My wife and I returned home last week after spending 5 weeks in Italy and Greece that included 24 days in two cruises and 13 land days. Our first cruise was with Celebrity and our second was with a cruise line we will never cruise on again. We bought travel insurance for the whole trip and my wife got Covid 5 days before the end of our second cruise. We spent 3 days after the cruise in quarantine in Venice and have about $2000 in expenses not covered by the cruise line that our travel insurance will cover 100%. Anyone who travels without travel insurance with Covid still a major issue worldwide is making one huge mistake. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HappyCamper49 said:

Our Aetna Medicare Premier Plan PPO offers worldwide coverage also.  Even medical evacuation coverage.

Thanks for posting. I switched this year from Humana Medicare Advantage to Aetna and did not realize that Aetna coverage includes international travel. 

8 minutes ago, Croooser said:

Thanks for posting. I switched this year from Humana Medicare Advantage to Aetna and did not realize that Aetna coverage includes international travel. 

You need to check with your policy, not all Aetna Medicare Advantage plans cover international travel. I know our Aetna Advantage plan has no coverage outside the US.  Medical costs are just a small part of potential costs from getting sick overseas. You still need to have a good travel insurance plan that covers any non-medical costs. Our 4 nights of hotel costs last week while my wife was in Covid quarantine in Venice Italy were almost $1500 not including meals. My wife was in one room while I was in another since I didn't have Covid. Our travel insurance will cover this, while our total out of pocket medical costs were $42 for cough syrup on the cruise ship, which the insurance will also cover.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1