Which River Cruise Line?

NiceAunt

On 9/12/2022 at 5:40 PM, NiceAunt said:

They all seem fairly comparable or am I missing something?  I'd like to get a room with a balcony and ideally travel in July which is her birthday month.

Asking the forum to recommend a cruise line is not going to get you anywhere because you are correct that they are all fairly comparable. People here have their favourites and if this thread stays active for long enough then expect in time that every line that does that route to be praised. Also be aware that cruises change so recollection of travel past - especially pre-covid - may not be matched with current or future cruises.

I suggest you start from the point that they are all comparable: you will get a room, a comfortable bed, decent food and drink and sightseeing.

What you need to decide on is what you want and how much you want to pay for it.

For instance, if you don't want cocktails then do you want to pay for a free bar? If the included sightseeing is what you want, do you want to pay for multiple options of sightseeing that you'll not go on? if you prefer to tip yourself do you want to pay for included gratuities?

Next in the mix is the price; there lines publish prices but I don't know if anyone actually pays the list price as they always seem to have discounts and deals.

So, I suggest you decide what you wnat to have and find the line that offers it, and has suitable dates available, and is a price that suits.

PS: I like the heat, so I'd happily go in July. Indoors on the boat it will be airconditioned, outside on your balcony or sundeck if the boat is moving you'll get a breeze from the boats motion.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 7:38 AM, gnome12 said:

@NiceAuntTo get many of those deals you need to be on the companies' email lists. I suggest that you sign up for the email lists on any of the lines that interest you. You will then regularly get promotional deals sent to you.

True. Also, @NiceAunt You may want to find a travel agent (most charge no additional fees) with experience in river cruising, tell them what you are interested in, and ask them to keep an eye out for you.

• Like 1

We[de fans of AMA Waterways. Service was superb on the Rhône and food was very good-excellent. But I can’t compare to others mentioned here. We did one on Crystal that was excellent too, but….

I recommend searching some YouTube videos too. You can find videos that highlight the ships’ decor, food, itinerary, etc. and perhaps find a “vibe” that appeals. There are many videos to pick from. 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 6:16 AM, pontac said:

Asking the forum to recommend a cruise line is not going to get you anywhere because you are correct that they are all fairly comparable. People here have their favourites and if this thread stays active for long enough then expect in time that every line that does that route to be praised. Also be aware that cruises change so recollection of travel past - especially pre-covid - may not be matched with current or future cruises.

I suggest you start from the point that they are all comparable: you will get a room, a comfortable bed, decent food and drink and sightseeing.

What you need to decide on is what you want and how much you want to pay for it.

For instance, if you don't want cocktails then do you want to pay for a free bar? If the included sightseeing is what you want, do you want to pay for multiple options of sightseeing that you'll not go on? if you prefer to tip yourself do you want to pay for included gratuities?

Next in the mix is the price; there lines publish prices but I don't know if anyone actually pays the list price as they always seem to have discounts and deals.

So, I suggest you decide what you wnat to have and find the line that offers it, and has suitable dates available, and is a price that suits.

PS: I like the heat, so I'd happily go in July. Indoors on the boat it will be airconditioned, outside on your balcony or sundeck if the boat is moving you'll get a breeze from the boats motion.  

Nice Aunt,

Everything Pontac says here is correct and spot on and I just want to add a few things. If this is her last cruise I would recommend looking at it through a different lens. Don't look at it through the usual cost analysis where every aspect of the cruise line's offering is examined for value. Go for the overall experience and splurge. Tauck and Uniworld have over the top gorgeous ships and great overall service. She will be pampered and doted on by the staff all while in a pretty luxurious setting. Any of the excursions, kayaking included, can most likely be arranged simply by stopping by the cruise manager's desk and asking. You might have to pay extra, but who care! Its her last trip.

We did exactly what you are doing for my father in law this summer. He is almost 90 and we took him on what is likely his last trip. The guy is notoriously cheap and will grind a penny out of any situation. We took him a small/mid size luxury cruise to the Fjords in a great cabin, he flew business class (first time in his life), ordered fine whiskeys and champagnes that were not on the AI list, ate at all the specialty restaurants etc. No restrictions and pure indulgence. 15 years ago he would have been griping about costs and how we could have gotten a better deal if he had done X or Y instead of what we did.

He had a ear to ear smile the entire time and couldn't stop talking about it when he got back. It was very special to us all and no one complained about the extra few bucks we wasted/spent. We removed, to an extent, the cost consideration, and just went for it. Best investment we ever made. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2022 at 7:52 AM, Los_Pepes said:

He had a ear to ear smile the entire time and couldn't stop talking about it when he got back. It was very special to us all and no one complained about the extra few bucks we wasted/spent. We removed, to an extent, the cost consideration, and just went for it. Best investment we ever made. 

Thanks, that is exactly the plan!    She would never do this on her own, or would do it as inexpensive as possible.    She just told me she can't go anywhere this year because her investment account is down.  I don't think she realizes we are going to treat her. 

Edited by NiceAunt
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, NiceAunt said:

Thanks, that is exactly the plan!    She would never do this on her own, or would do it as inexpensive as possible.    She just told me she can't go anywhere this year because her investment account is down.  I don't think she realizes we are going to treat her. 

@NiceAuntI'm sure it will be a wonderful trip and I look forward to a full report after you get home. 

Paul

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 11:30 AM, NiceAunt said:

Please keep us posted! Money well spent!!

• Like 1

Here's an interesting data point....I'm on AMA right now....and more than once I have heard local guides (who work with all the cruise lines) remark, sometimes among themselves, that they like to work with AMA best because AMA takes care of the guests better than the others, or words to that effect.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Gretchendz said:

Here's an interesting data point....I'm on AMA right now....and more than once I have heard local guides (who work with all the cruise lines) remark, sometimes among themselves, that they like to work with AMA best because AMA takes care of the guests better than the others, or words to that effect.

I've only taken one river cruise, so far. It was on Ama, and I was very impressed. I'm looking at them for Vietnam in 2024. 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 1:41 AM, Gretchendz said:

I’ve been on Ama, Uniworld, and Avalon. 

If I had a physical disability I’d choose Amawaterways. I’ve seen them go above and beyond for those with physical limitations. 

But all three take excellent care of their guests. Uniworld includes everything in the base price including mixed drinks and gratuities. 

Avalon I feel gives you the best value for your money. The tours were all excellent quality. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 6:52 AM, Los_Pepes said:

We did exactly what you are doing for my father in law this summer. He is almost 90 and we took him on what is likely his last trip. The guy is notoriously cheap and will grind a penny out of any situation. We took him a small/mid size luxury cruise to the Fjords in a great cabin, he flew business class (first time in his life), ordered fine whiskeys and champagnes that were not on the AI list, ate at all the specialty restaurants etc. No restrictions and pure indulgence. 15 years ago he would have been griping about costs and how we could have gotten a better deal if he had done X or Y instead of what we did.

He had an ear to ear smile the entire time and couldn't stop talking about it when he got back. It was very special to us all and no one complained about the extra few bucks we wasted/spent. We removed, to an extent, the cost consideration, and just went for it. Best investment we ever made. 

which cruise line was it that you took him on?  It sounds like something worth looking into.