QM2 Roundtrip Transatlantic (Britannia) 21/08/22 - 4/9/22

Golfwidow100

Hi 

Here is the link to my review of my recent roundtrip transatlantic crossing. I'm hoping it's worked as it's the first time I've done this!

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?posfrom=1&EntryID=690690&et_referrer=Boards_Million_Member_Newsub&et_cid=3500453&stay=1&et_rid=16595718

Just noticed a couple of things which need correcting. 

The 1st is:-

Insight speaker - Andrew Jarrett and not Jallett as written.

The 2nd is:-

Spa gratuity refers to a manicure further on in the review. 

I forgot to mention the My Voyage app which we we felt could be better. On the occasions that it worked, it was fine, but it was intermittent which was frustrating. 

With regards to the hour change eastbound at midday (a question was asked on another thread), we preferred this and hardly noticed the loss of the hour. I personally feel it's a small price to pay to help the crew as it would be hard for them to lose an hour each night when they are already working very long hours. 

Since writing, I tested positive on Sunday and am feeling quite poorly. Hopefully the symptoms won't linger too long. I'd been testing each day last week as I was feeling off colour and husband had already tested positive. 

Hopefully the review will of interest to some of you and if you have any questions please let me know and I'll do my best to answer. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

That worked perfectly, thank you very much for writing such a thorough review.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Did you go to the lectures by Adam Tihany ?

Thanks Hattie, I'm pleased it's worked. No, unfortunately we didn't manage to get to listen to Adam Tihany as this clashed with other things for us. Would have liked to though. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Wow, what a wonderfully thorough review. Even with 3 Crossings on the QM2, I learned a lot form your experiences. Can you tell me if seating at the bar in Golden Lion and Commodore Club is back? 

Thanks

Jack

Thank you Jack for the nice comments and I'm glad it's helped. Yes there definitely was in the Golden Lion and the Terrace Bar but I can't recall if there was in the Commodore Club.  Logic would say that the CC wouldn't be an exception though. 

Your comments regarding the closeness of the 2-tops is spot-on.  While on the Queen Elizabeth in May, I caught COVID along with 3 of the people at adjoining 2-tops. Only my husband and another spouse escaped the virus. 

There was a significant COVID outbreak onboard but people were continuing to be seated close to adjoining tables.  Once it was clear that there was a significant outbreak, we refused to be seated close to other tables.  The ship was barely at 50% occupancy so why the staff continued this risky practice is baffling especially in light of a masking and distancing mandate in most other public venues.

We are sailing the QM2 in early October and will be vigilant regardless of whatever rules are in place.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

Your comments regarding the closeness of the 2-tops is spot-on.  While on the Queen Elizabeth in May, I caught COVID along with 3 of the people at adjoining 2-tops. Only my husband and another spouse escaped the virus. 

There was a significant COVID outbreak onboard but people were continuing to be seated close to adjoining tables.  Once it was clear that there was a significant outbreak, we refused to be seated close to other tables.  The ship was barely at 50% occupancy so why the staff continued this risky practice is baffling especially in light of a masking and distancing mandate in most other public venues.

We are sailing the QM2 in early October and will be vigilant regardless of whatever rules are in place.

HI!  One thing is very clear from what I have read: No matter what you do or precautions you take including hiding in your cabin there is no guarantee you won't catch something.  If one is going to be so concerned, if one is going to worry so much that it takes over your trip much best to stay home.  IMHO.

Deck Chair

• Like 1

Thank you for the detailed review. I love Carinthia for a light lunch, but never thought to try there for tea. On my list for my upcoming cruise. I will have to check the Chef's Galley for a lunchtime salad. The salad bar at Kings Chaos is one of my pet peeves. Such pathetic offerings. 

As for the photographers, yes, VERY stilted poses, particularly what I call the "prom pose," where the man stands behind the woman with his arms around her waist and her hands on his. Been there, done that when I was 18. Now, I want something different. Twice, on QM2, I was able to convince the photographer to take the pose I wanted and I still love those pictures. You have a chance if they're holding the camera and not stuck on a tripod. I have to say, the photographers on QE were very good about details, like fixing a crooked necklace. 

14 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

I hope you have a great trip and stay healthy this time. We felt we'd taken all the precautions that we could, but still ended up succumbing unfortunately.

Pre 'C', we always practiced good hand hygiene, used serviettes on the tongs in the self service areas, an elbow or knuckle on lift buttons etc. 

4 hours ago, deck chair said:

HI!  One thing is very clear from what I have read: No matter what you do or precautions you take including hiding in your cabin there is no guarantee you won't catch something.  If one is going to be so concerned, if one is going to worry so much that it takes over your trip much best to stay home.  IMHO.

Deck Chair

We are not concerned about getting COVID (as we are vaccinated and boosted) but we are concerned about testing positive while traveling and getting denied boarding or kicked off the ship (as we were in Los Angeles in May).   Our Fall adventure includes 2 trans-Atlantic sailings as well as a cruise out of Athens.  Cruise lines seem to be one of the last businesses to require testing.  My spouse recently had elective surgery and was not required to test before the operation. 

Edited by Desert Cruisers

4 hours ago, deck chair said:

Deck Chair

We accepted the risk and made the decision that it was worth taking. I do feel however, that where there is the opportunity to distance people who wish to be seated as a couple,  why not oblige. I would have thought that anything the cruise line can do to try to mitigate the risk of infection would be worth doing. 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Thank you for the detailed review. I love Carinthia for a light lunch, but never thought to try there for tea. On my list for my upcoming cruise. I will have to check the Chef's Galley for a lunchtime salad. The salad bar at Kings Chaos is one of my pet peeves. Such pathetic offerings. 

As for the photographers, yes, VERY stilted poses, particularly what I call the "prom pose," where the man stands behind the woman with his arms around her waist and her hands on his. Been there, done that when I was 18. Now, I want something different. Twice, on QM2, I was able to convince the photographer to take the pose I wanted and I still love those pictures. You have a chance if they're holding the camera and not stuck on a tripod. I have to say, the photographers on QE were very good about details, like fixing a crooked necklace. 

Thank you 3rd GenCunarder.  Yes, it was nice to be able to get a panini for a light lunch in the Carinthia Lounge. The Chef's Galley was usually very quiet and if you just wanted a side salad it was fine. It didn't have such a large variety of items though as the salad bar in the Kings Court where they had a pre-prepared salad each day, ie Greek, Caesar etc along with the 'make your own' items. 

Glad to hear the photographers on the QE were more observant!