Any good reference on what shows are on a given ship [RCI in particular]

LinRon3

We've never found a good, updated, reference on how to check the entertainment shows on any given ship or cruise.  Does anyone know of some sort of reference for this?  We usually do Royal Caribbean, but a reference to what any of the cruise ships offer would be nice. Something not sporadic like Royal Blog.  Thanks in advance.  

For example, we're going on Symphony in October, and were trying to find out what shows we might expect.  I had always heard of something called HairSpray...and we found something on Youtube called FLIGHT.  But nothing definitive...we're left 'assuming' things.  So a REFERENCE or Listing depicting exactly what shows to expect...we've never found anything like that [except for mentions here and there, like here on Cruise Critic].  And absolutely nothing on ice shows or aqua shows.  We're always pleasantly surprised of course.  

If you go into RoyalCaribbean.com, click on "ships" and then "things to do".  You can see what shows are on what ship.  Symphony has Hairspray which is fantastic.   Harmony has Grease which is also amazing.  Oasis has CATS and we won't go to that.  Allure has Mama Mia, one of our favorites.  Liberty has Saturday Night Fever.  Wonder does not have a Broadway show.  If you want to see what else they have just go to the website

Edited by karena1

Download the Royal app.

Click on the "person" icon.

Click on "select a different sailing" (or something like that, I'm going off memory).

Scroll to the bottom and click on "ships this app supports" (or something like that).

Scroll to the ship you're looking for and click on that.

Scroll to the current week and click on that.

You can see the activities for every single day.  You can click on the "filter" icon and just choose "entertainment" to make it easier to see what you're looking for.  

Hairspray is a Broadway musical.  There will also be a headliner or two (comedian, magician, singer, etc.), a few production shows (singers and dancers), the Aqua Theater show, the Ice Skating show, the "Love and Marriage" game show, etc. 

"Columbus, the Musical".  I don't know why I laughed at that.

I saw "Mamma Mia" on Allure.  I only went because my mother went.  I had not enjoyed "Mamma Mia" when we had seen it in the theater.  I like the songs, just not the story.  I thought RC did a good job.

16 minutes ago, moposh said:

I saw "Mamma Mia" on Allure.  I only went because my mother went.  I had not enjoyed "Mamma Mia" when we had seen it in the theater.  I like the songs, just not the story.  I thought RC did a good job.

Got off Harmony Sunday. No Columbus, the Musical and only one aquashow.

17 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Here is the brochure with a summary of entertainment on each ship (last updated 2020).

https://secure.viewer.zmags.com/publication/8d5cc72f

Yes, thank you 'Cruise Wonderland'.  Where did you find that link anyway; we've looked everywhere for this kind of reference.  We realize shows are not locked in granite, due to changing situations, but as a general expectation might help in booking decisions.  Would be nice if there was some similar catalogue for the major cruise lines et. al.  But the link you provided is what we were looking for [without knowing it existed, ha].  Thanks again.  

1 minute ago, LinRon3 said:

Yes, thank you 'Cruise Wonderland'.  Where did you find that link anyway; we've looked everywhere for this kind of reference.  We realize shows are not locked in granite, due to changing situations, but as a general expectation might help in booking decisions.  Would be nice if there was some similar catalogue for the major cruise lines et. al.  But the link you provided is what we were looking for [without knowing it existed, ha].  Thanks again.  

The link was provided by another person in a previous cruisecritic thread. I found it quite useful and thus save it for reference. 😉

8 hours ago, moposh said:

Yea, we liked the music too [ABBA just likeable music].  The storyline, like you, not so much; it sort of celebrated...well, let's just say we are very traditional [as to family].  But the actors were great.  I know, I know...we're prudes; what can I say, LOL.  

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 5:44 PM, karena1 said:

If you go into RoyalCaribbean.com, click on "ships" and then "things to do".  You can see what shows are on what ship.  Symphony has Hairspray which is fantastic.   Harmony has Grease which is also amazing.  Oasis has CATS and we won't go to that.  Allure has Mama Mia, one of our favorites.  Liberty has Saturday Night Fever.  Wonder does not have a Broadway show.  If you want to see what else they have just go to the website

Just curious.  We haven't cruised the Oasis yet but seems we don't hear a lot of compliments about CATS?  What is it that people might not like about this show [realizing it's all a matter of personal taste of course].  As mentioned, just curious. 

6 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

Just curious.  We haven't cruised the Oasis yet but seems we don't hear a lot of compliments about CATS?  What is it that people might not like about this show [realizing it's all a matter of personal taste of course].  As mentioned, just curious. 

One it is like 3 hours long.  People either love it or hate it.  I have read so many people say they walk out of it, so we have no desire to see it.  I love broadway musicals, that is just one we could care less about.

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

One it is like 3 hours long.  People either love it or hate it.  I have read so many people say they walk out of it, so we have no desire to see it.  I love broadway musicals, that is just one we could care less about.

I'm like you. I LOVE broadway musicals. I actually saw Cats on Broadway.  15 minutes in, I'm thinking, why?  I stayed for the whole show, but would never see it again.   Can't say why, just don't care for it at all.

Erika

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

This was years ago.  My Girl Scout troop got free tickets to see Cats at the National Theater.  I asked one of the troop leaders what it was about.  She couldn't tell me.  I think this says it all.

It's more songs and costume than story.

On 9/16/2022 at 5:36 AM, karena1 said:

Cats has been shortened.  It is no longer 3 hours.  I think it is about 90 minutes now.