Westerdam changes.. additional tip line signing for beverages

bluesplayer

24 minutes ago, celticGreen81 said:

Having to give my card at Pinnacle, to order a glass of wine?

I really do not have a problem with that, but then having to sign a piece of paper!!  Do they not trust me? or do they not trust their own systems? 🙄

20 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I sort of like the additional tip line as it makes it easier to give an extra tip if you want

I agree.  I like the idea of being able to add an extra tip. 

I usually toss a few bucks to bar waiters (and others) that have gone above and beyond for us at the end of the cruise.  This will make that much easier and that is less cash to carry and it goes towards my OB spending/Mariner credits/using OBC.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 0106 said:

The receipts we receive are generally printed on thermal paper coated with either BPA and BPS, developers that assist in the heat-activated printing process.

BPA can be absorbed into the body through the skin. The chemicals have been shown to be hazardous to reproductive systems in humans and animals and are linked with obesity and attention disorders. 

Studies have found that individual thermal receipts can contain BPA that is 250 to 1,000 times greater than the amount in a can of food. 

Businesses that want to reduce potential harm should take the steps outlined below.

Go paperless

Don't recycle thermal paper Do not put thermal receipt paper in your recycling or compost bin. BPA and other chemicals embedded in thermal paper can end up in wastewater from recycling plants or minimally contaminate other papers in the recycling stream. 

82C834AE-1172-4F9B-A17C-63A762B5E217.jpeg

23 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

So what would warrant extra?  I’m curious.

Bartenders and Stewards that take time to converse while doing their job.  Bartenders that are a bit generous on their pours.  Bartenders, whom are very busy, still take time to provide the "goodies" during HH and, then, ask, would you like another plate?  A bartender who went searching for a previously purchased bottle of wine that ended up in a different location on the ship.  (And, the bar was busy at the time and he left it to the other bartender to "try to keep up".)

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yes, I am certain about the drink tip. When it was 15%, the breakdown was 10% to the bartenders, 4% to the waiters and 1% to the staff welfare fund. At 18%, I believe it's 11, 5, 2.

Thank you.  I never have read what the breakdown is.  Makes sense was to what I have observed when cash tips have been given and they "disappear" into an "undeclosed location" under the counter or in a drawer.  I am glad to know that.  I really am.  I don't use the waiters enough, usually, to tip them individually, but, unfailingly, these men and women have been willing to banter back and forth when they come to the bar to order/pick-up their orders.  Who can complain for a bit of my tip going to the staff welfare fund?  God bless all of them!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

According to the staff..  this was a new process that went into effect sometime in August and only on the Westerdam.  @Florida_gal_50 was correct calling the ship the Testerdam.  The crew confirmed they were trying this out and only on the Westerdam.

Did any of the crew you talked to tell you why this was being tested?  Had their bosses explained the "thinking" behind the added paper and effort to each transaction?  If no official reason for the test, did the crew have any speculation on why?    Reviving this old and annoying practice doesn't make any sense to me!!

Thanks,

~Nancy

24 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Did any of the crew you talked to tell you why this was being tested?  Had their bosses explained the "thinking" behind the added paper and effort to each transaction?  If no official reason for the test, did the crew have any speculation on why?    Reviving this old and annoying practice doesn't make any sense to me!!

Thanks,

~Nancy

Being a working person it’s been rare when any reason for any decision is given.  I’ve found people being caught in lies as well when I knew the reason.  I highly doubt you’d actually hear the real reason, and for that matter does it make a difference?

2 minutes ago, oakridger said:

It doesn't make a difference, I'm just a curious type, particularly when it's about something that does not make sense to me!

It makes no sense but neither does charging for second entrees or second appetizer.  Maybe they get drunk at the management table and see who comes come up with the dumbest idea.  They must be getting drunk a lot lately. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It makes no sense but neither does charging for second entrees or second appetizer.  Maybe they get drunk at the management table and see who comes come up with the dumbest idea.  They must be getting drunk a lot lately. 

hmm  we got second entrees,  second appetizers and even desserts on the Westerdam MDR.  N/C

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

Thanks,

~Nancy

I did not ask these questions to the staff.  Perhaps @celticGreen81can query?  Currently on the Westerdam.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JesseLivermore said:

hmm  we got second entrees,  second appetizers and even desserts on the Westerdam MDR.  N/C

Yes, the second entree was a test before the shutdown.  It was received very negatively.  Second appetizers are being charged for in the pinnacle now on the westerdam.  Did you go to the pinnacle? There was a very, very long thread about it.  I’m not sure why you think I’m making this up.  I know some think if it doesn’t happen to them it hasn’t happened.  It’s very odd.

12 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Being a working person it’s been rare when any reason for any decision is given.  I’ve found people being caught in lies as well when I knew the reason.  I highly doubt you’d actually hear the real reason, and for that matter does it make a difference?

I have found that the crew often "make up" answers to questions when the do not know the accurate one.  It almost seems to me that they are trained to never say "I do not know".  Maybe its just easier for them as then they do not have to go searching for the correct answer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I have found that the crew often "make up" answers to questions when the do not know the accurate one.  It almost seems to me that they are trained to never say "I do not know".  Maybe its just easier for them as then they do not have to go searching for the correct answer.

I agree.  If they say I don’t know people will probably not let it go so that’s a good way out.  I personally feel everyone is not entitled to know every tiny detail, but that’s me.  Sometimes I’d like to know something but it’s none of my business (not speaking about this issue but more personal questions people ask on threads) so I don’t ask.

10 hours ago, JesseLivermore said:

The Pinnacle menu on the Westerdam did say (in small print) there would be a $7.00 additional charge for each appetizer.  We each ordered 1 appetizer and shared the bacon.  We were not charged.  Thinking they may want to curb the folks that order multiples and take one bite.

1 minute ago, bluesplayer said:

The Pinnacle menu on the Westerdam did say (in small print) there would be a $7.00 additional charge for each appetizer.  We each ordered 1 appetizer and shared the bacon.  We were not charged.  Thinking they may want to curb the folks that order multiples and take one bite.

In my mind that is a better way to go.  Letting people know if the don’t eat it they will be charged in you must cheapen the experience by charging extra. It’s not worth it to me to up the overall price.  The pinnacle in the worst pay extra restaurant on board to me.  

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes, the second entree was a test before the shutdown.  It was received very negatively.  Second appetizers are being charged for in the pinnacle now on the westerdam.  Did you go to the pinnacle? There was a very, very long thread about it.  I’m not sure why you think I’m making this up.  I know some think if it doesn’t happen to them it hasn’t happened.  It’s very odd.

ahh Pinnacle. We don't do any upgrades other than what's included in the fare. esp w/ all the great included options.  Family rule 😉

Edited by JesseLivermore
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I have found that the crew often "make up" answers to questions when the do not know the accurate one.  It almost seems to me that they are trained to never say "I do not know".

Agree.  The PR theme that is taught to the crew is "Happy, Happy".  OK, maybe for a first time or two cruiser, but, when one has some "water under one's keel",  a "Happy, Happy" response comes near to be insulting when one suspects it is not really "Happy, Happy".  

23 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Maybe they get drunk at the management table and see who comes come up with the dumbest idea.  They must be getting drunk a lot lately. 

Or maybe the requirements to earn an MBA have lessened?  🤔  There have been many decisions coming out of Seattle that have been only marginally fair and some that have failed totally.  You talk to any experienced HAL Master and, if they are honest, they will tell you that the micromanagement from the "suits" has increased over the years and it does interfere with offering the HAL experience that the onboard crew try to provide.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As far as the extra charges in Pinnacle, that's ridiculous.  In times gone by, many people cruised for the food.  And the tipping!  When they came out with the automatic tipping, I thought it meant that you no longer have to think about it.  Wrong again.  I usually tip a few people extra, but I do wonder why sometimes.  They have tips in place so I shouldn't feel the obligation that I do.  Trust me, I am sure crew works hard for extra tips.  It just feels like pressure sometimes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, albingirl said:

As far as the extra charges in Pinnacle, that's ridiculous.  In times gone by, many people cruised for the food.  And the tipping!  When they came out with the automatic tipping, I thought it meant that you no longer have to think about it.  Wrong again.  I usually tip a few people extra, but I do wonder why sometimes.  They have tips in place so I shouldn't feel the obligation that I do.  Trust me, I am sure crew works hard for extra tips.  It just feels like pressure sometimes.

I agree.  Although it’s not the same I get a cabana on the ship.  The stewards do very, very little for me.  About the only thing is putting water in the ice bucket and maybe get me some apples from time to time.  There are people that get them to do everything for them.  They still get a pretty healthy tip from me even though they acknowledge they do very little for me.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, albingirl said:

It just feels like pressure sometimes.

Maybe its because I am becoming a cruising relic, but, I don't feel pressure to tip.  I began cruising when tipping was "the order of the day".  My goodness, I had to pay to reserve a deck chair, cushion, and blanket!  We have come a long way since then.  If one cannot afford to tip for "service above and beyond", then, perhaps, they ought to consider their vacation choices.  

35 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Maybe its because I am becoming a cruising relic, but, I don't feel pressure to tip.  I began cruising when tipping was "the order of the day".  My goodness, I had to pay to reserve a deck chair, cushion, and blanket!  We have come a long way since then.  If one cannot afford to tip for "service above and beyond", then, perhaps, they ought to consider their vacation choices.  

Nope.  You pay $15.50 a day if I recall per person.  That should satisfy any tipping.  If a person says nope I’m not paying anything or I’m going to take care of “my people” that’s a whole different discussion.  To say people should be giving above and beyond is just wrong and this is coming from someone that over tips rather than under.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You pay $15.50 a day if I recall per person.  That should satisfy any tipping

I do not have a problem with the Crew Appreciation fee, but I do baulk at 18% on drinks.  And then giving more......there is no drink or service in the world that could entice a further tip from me.  The drinks are expensive enough already.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

You have misunderstood me.  I freely tip over and above, but sometimes there is that feeling that the automatic tips are just a starting point for the staff.  When Holland America put those tips in place, it certainly helped to insure that the crew would receive their fair compensation from the guests, but it seems now that more is expected as a matter of course. One bartender told me that after a long cruise that it was expected that guests would give further complensation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, albingirl said:

One bartender told me that after a long cruise that it was expected that guests would give further complensation.

Did the bartender say 'who' had the expectation?  The particular bartender?  Bar staff in general?  or HAL?   Did he say why they had that particular expectation?