Is Colon Panama safe?

Trees780

15 hours ago, Trees780 said:

I’m solo when we are in Colon Panama.  I’m concerned about my safety (husband is on an excursion to Panama City).  Where is it safe and what can I do solo?  The Royal Caribbean’s Colon excursions don’t really interest me.

You are safe provided you remain within the confines of the port, or are participating in a cruise line shore-ex.

Do NOT venture outside of the port, especially as a single.

Colon was my very first port and we were advised to go ashore in groups of at least six. Just outside the dock gates we witnessed a sight that caused our group to about turn and head back onboard.

• Like 1

Not even worth getting off the ship,  we were going to walk over after the locks to the shopping area, and part way there in closed in passageway DH said No!  His spidy senses which are highly attuned went off.  This has only happened one other time in a dock area.  

On 9/18/2022 at 8:48 PM, Trees780 said:

I’m solo when we are in Colon Panama.  I’m concerned about my safety (husband is on an excursion to Panama City).  Where is it safe and what can I do solo?  The Royal Caribbean’s Colon excursions don’t really interest me.

I was there in February. We walked around just outside the cruise terminal - nothing remarkable, not very clean, not very comfortable to walk. For shopping, we took the cab at the terminal - they drove us to the shopping mall and picked up later. It looked safe to us.

Nope. 

I remember a story told to me by our stateroom attendant about a couple of crew members who were mugged in Colon.  Besides their valuables their clothes were also stolen so they had to get back to their ship in their underwear!  😳

11 hours ago, Chinook Wind said:

Nope. 

I remember a story told to me by our stateroom attendant about a couple of crew members who were mugged in Colon.  Besides their valuables their clothes were also stolen so they had to get back to their ship in their underwear!  😳

Unfortunately, this is a very common occurrence in this port. Some have even required hospitalisation.

12 hours ago, Chinook Wind said:

Nope. 

😲