How do you define 72 hours before you sail for a covid test?

ugagrad97

We have to covid test for our upcoming cruise.  If it leaves boards and leaves on a Sunday, can we get a covid test on Thursday late afternoon?  That truly is less than 72 hours.  Just making sure they don't count the day you get your test as day one, and then two days after that.  Only reason this is important is that our flight is Thursday night, so it would be a lot easier to test Thursday in our local area where we know where to go.  If we have to wait until Friday, we will be testing in a foreign country and completely at the mercy of our hotel suggesting where to test.

I'm thinking Thursday late afternoon is fine, but just thought I'd ask the group.  Thanks.

27 minutes ago, ugagrad97 said:

We have to covid test for our upcoming cruise.  If it leaves boards and leaves on a Sunday, can we get a covid test on Thursday late afternoon?  That truly is less than 72 hours. 

Our covid test results have always had a time stamp on them that indicate when the test was conducted.  I think they put the requirement in hours instead of days because for some, it will actually come down to literal hours to be within the window.  I'm not sure how closely this is monitored.  I noticed people looking at the date more than the time the test was conducted.  I haven't cruised over seas since the restart so others can probably better guide you here.

PS...Go Dawgs!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Our covid test results have always had a time stamp on them that indicate when the test was conducted.  I think they put the requirement in hours instead of days because for some, it will actually come down to literal hours to be within the window.  I'm not sure how closely this is monitored.  I noticed people looking at the date more than the time the test was conducted.  I haven't cruised over seas since the restart so others can probably better guide you here.

PS...Go Dawgs!

You could test as early as 12:01AM Thursday and you’d be good to go.

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

PS...Go Dawgs!

Yep...UGA Grad!!!  Class of 1997!  Lol.  Love my internet user name.  I've been using it probably since 1997 too.  Haha.  GO DAWGS!!!

3 hours ago, ugagrad97 said:

We have to covid test for our upcoming cruise.  If it leaves boards and leaves on a Sunday, can we get a covid test on Thursday late afternoon?  That truly is less than 72 hours.  Just making sure they don't count the day you get your test as day one, and then two days after that.  Only reason this is important is that our flight is Thursday night, so it would be a lot easier to test Thursday in our local area where we know where to go.  If we have to wait until Friday, we will be testing in a foreign country and completely at the mercy of our hotel suggesting where to test.

I'm thinking Thursday late afternoon is fine, but just thought I'd ask the group.  Thanks.

If I might ask, where are you reading where it refers to 72 hours? All I see on the NCL website regarding testing requirements is 2 or 3 days, depending on the type of test, antigen or PCR.

http://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

4 hours ago, ugagrad97 said:

Yep...UGA Grad!!!  Class of 1997!  Lol.  Love my internet user name.  I've been using it probably since 1997 too.  Haha.  GO DAWGS!!!

Ha, my husband (UGA '00) and I were just in Columbia (for something other than the game) this past weekend. It reminded me of how much I hate hearing about how, if you live in SC, you either have to be a Gamecocks fan or a Clemson fan. I really don't give a crap either way, and I don't really follow sports, but I am always happy to see Georgia win.

As for my own alma mater, our football team is nothing to write home about, and our mascot is a pacifist, so I don't pay attention to what's going on with them, nor does ESPN.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, where are you reading where it refers to 72 hours? All I see on the NCL website regarding testing requirements is 2 or 3 days, depending on the type of test, antigen or PCR.

http://www.ncl.com/travel-requirements-by-country

Excellent question.  I was going off 72 hours from the airline.  We aren't vaccinated, so we had to have a covid test to even just fly into Barcelona.  And our airline said 72 hours for a PCR test.  However, it looks like Spain is changing their flight arrival rules LITERALLY TODAY.  So not sure we even need that test anymore.  But you're right.  To board NCL, their language just says two days and three days.  Ugh.   

We are going to get covid tests for the flight just in case (we leave in two days) since the rule change is so recent.  Not sure if/when the airlines will keep up and adopt the new change, so we are doing the test anyway as a precaution.

19 hours ago, casofilia said:

If you are boarding overseas be even more careful of the specific requirements when there is a time difference.   72 hours before in Athens is different to 72 hours before in Georgia.    Always do the test in the embarkation port for safety.

Excellent point.  With the time change, it actually helps us if we test in the states though.