Norway Fjords Cruise Question - Remain on the Ship?

mhumphries

I am planning to do a 7 night Norway Fjords cruise on MSC Virtuosa (in the Yacht Club) next September, sailing from Southampton in the UK.  The trip is my Dad's 80th birthday present and is something he has always wanted to do (he is fully mobile and will be able to manage all of the excursions).

I will also be travelling with my 81 year old Mum, who has limited mobility (she walks with 2 sticks, walks very slowly and cannot walk very far) and mid-stage dementia.  

I am concerned that getting my Mum on and off the ship for the excursions may be too much for her (both because of mobility issues and dementia) and am seriously considering remaining on the ship with my Mum (as I am her full time carer) whilst Dad goes off and does the excursions.

Does anyone have any experience of, or opinions on, going on a Norway Fjord cruise and not getting off the ship?  Will we still be able to have some nice views from the ship and not feel like we are totally missing out on the experience (our ports of call are Haugesund, Olden, Flaam and Kristiansand).

Thanks in advance.

Olden and Flåm are both located in a deep fjord with very nice scenic cruising in and out of the fjord. Haugesund and Kristiansand are both coastal cities. In my opinion not much to see and do in those cities.

If possible you should plan the train ride in Flåm - if the ship is docked it’s a very short walk from the pier to the train. If you book a late morning train riptide should not be too stressful- I did bring my 95 year old mother in law on the train. You can book the train here

• Like 2

When we were in Kristiansand   they had one of the little tourist train to town 

I would see how you mom is by the time of the cruise  then access the situation

I agree you will see some scenic views from the ship in the fjords 

12 hours ago, mhumphries said:

Does anyone have any experience of, or opinions on, going on a Norway Fjord cruise and not getting off the ship? 

Hi!

Welcome (back?) to posting on Cruise Critic!

I have not sailed to Norway nor been on MSC. But we have stayed on ships in several ports, even Alaska! and the Azores. The ship can be very different when "everyone" else is off! 

Have you thought of getting a wheelchair, preferably one that folds? I'm not sure how that would work with the train tours that people have suggested above, or on the ship even! Here are some "boards" on CC that may be useful in your planning:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/544-uk-cruisers/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/49-msc-cruises/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/775-europe-disabled-cruising/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/116-northern-europe-amp-baltic-sea/

13 hours ago, mhumphries said:

I am planning to do a 7 night Norway Fjords cruise on MSC Virtuosa (in the Yacht Club) next September, sailing from Southampton in the UK.  The trip is my Dad's 80th birthday present and is something he has always wanted to do (he is fully mobile and will be able to manage all of the excursions).

I will also be travelling with my 81 year old Mum, who has limited mobility (she walks with 2 sticks, walks very slowly and cannot walk very far) and mid-stage dementia.  

I am concerned that getting my Mum on and off the ship for the excursions may be too much for her (both because of mobility issues and dementia) and am seriously considering remaining on the ship with my Mum (as I am her full time carer) whilst Dad goes off and does the excursions.

Does anyone have any experience of, or opinions on, going on a Norway Fjord cruise and not getting off the ship?  Will we still be able to have some nice views from the ship and not feel like we are totally missing out on the experience (our ports of call are Haugesund, Olden, Flaam and Kristiansand).

Thanks in advance.

I second the train ride in Flam.  Maybe you could contact your cruise line and see whether they can make a wheelchair available to Mum for excursions?  Alternatively see if you can rent a lightweight folding wheelchair for the duration of the cruise.

• Like 1

What a great gift idea for your father!

While I can understand the feeling of a burden, I think you're jumping too quickly into staying on the ship. What if this is your only chance to go here, and you are missing out? As some have said, there are options to look into. If they absolutely won't work, then stay on the ship. Give it a try though!

On 9/22/2022 at 9:54 AM, mhumphries said:

oes anyone have any experience of, or opinions on, going on a Norway Fjord cruise and not getting off the ship? 

Hi  from the UK.  Because we are closer to Norway, many British cruisers  do Norway itineraries every year so there is a lot of info about cruising in Norway and all the ports on the boards of cruise critic for British companies, suggest you look at the P and O ((Uk) section, there has been a lot of recent discussion of the ports and accessibility and much else about cruises to Norway.  

You could also join the roll call for your cruise and see if others with limited mobility are going and have ideas to share. Good luck with the trip.

• Like 1

What a great gift!  We loved Norway and the sails up the fjords are beautiful.  As your Mom may be happiest staying in your cabin as she will be most familiar in it, your views from the balcony should be very nice.  We did enjoy the Flam Railway trip but be aware that the wheels make quite a loud screech (I found it headache inducing) which might affect your Mom.  You are lovely to plan this trip.