Is Aqua Class Worth It?

Empehi

3 hours ago, thebutlerdidit said:

You have to remember to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples. Aquaclass quoted prices include gratuities, classic beverage package, and WiFi whereas other categories do not. 

Concierge includes those too. But my answer to the OP is, there is no right answer, you make the choice. To some it is, to others it’s not. Look at the benefits and make your own decision.

We're doing our first Aqua class cruise in Feb 2023, so following this thread.  I chose it for the Blu menu and discounts to the spa.  In the past we've sailed in concierge cabins and when they took away the flowers and fresh fruit, I thought I'll try aqua.  Following this thread & would like to hear others experiences.  

Just now, kazes2004 said:

We're doing our first Aqua class cruise in Feb 2023, so following this thread.  I chose it for the Blu menu and discounts to the spa.  In the past we've sailed in concierge cabins and when they took away the flowers and fresh fruit, I thought I'll try aqua.  Following this thread & would like to hear others experiences.  

Not offering a useful opinion as never done Aqua, we do Concierge. Price difference on the cruises we’ve done are c£550 more on Aqua so couldn’t see where we would get value, don’t use the spa and happy to use the available restaurants. Are we missing something?

3 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Not offering a useful opinion as never done Aqua, we do Concierge. Price difference on the cruises we’ve done are c£550 more on Aqua so couldn’t see where we would get value, don’t use the spa and happy to use the available restaurants. Are we missing something?

The price difference for Aqua compared to Concierge was negligble (maybe $100 pp?).  I'm also interested in the fitness classes (spin-peloton) so I thought it was worth a go.  Sounds like it's much more pricey booking in the UK.  

7 minutes ago, kazes2004 said:

The price difference for Aqua compared to Concierge was negligble (maybe $100 pp?).  I'm also interested in the fitness classes (spin-peloton) so I thought it was worth a go.  Sounds like it's much more pricey booking in the UK.  

Fair enough, it was that much more from here but for $100pp for you worth the risk I reckon.

• Like 1

Our problem, as with many other cruisers in Aqua, is the overcrowding and wait time at the door. Beepers have become a regular nightly necessity as suite diners are also trying the dining in blu, even though it was supposed to open them on “room available”.

Another problem for us(need an accessible cabin) is the existence of only one cabin on M class ships - way in the aft(9164) away from the elevators without an electronic door opener to the cabin. 

Hal

Overcrowding of BLU with added suite guests could be solved by enforcing the space available basis  rule for suite guests to enter...and or have a  suite guest sign up list limited to a few res per evening.  Or give each suite a dinner voucher for  a Specialty restaurant to provide guests variety.

Sad Commentary on Luminae which was created exclusively for suite guests after the huge success of BLU  for AQ guests.  Maybe they should review the  Luminae menu and add some items  from the  BLU menu,, That might  limit those going to BLU because they prefer the BLU menu or are just curious or seek variety.

I believe  mgmnt is aware of these issues..there were once rumors that the 2 venues might at some point be combined  on newer ships but it never happened

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It depends on the cost difference between a regular balcony to AQ, for example is a regular balcony is $1000/pp, how much is one willing to pay?  $100/pp more, most would pay...$500/pp more, most WOULDN'T pay.

One Blu issue for some people including myself, some ships like Equinox won't allow you order MDR rotational items due to being short staffed.  You can order the "timeless classics" like french onion soup and the NY Sirloin, but they won't serve prime rib on the first night, no crab cakes, etc.  It was a huge underutilized perk that you had to choice to dine in one place and order items off two menus.  I believe some ships still do this.

Currently on Equinox and haven’t had any issues ordering off MDR menu.  They do have the usual shrimp cocktail, French onion soup, salmon etc but dh ordered a pasta last night that was only on MDR menu.  They knew what entree he was asking about immediately and didn’t bat an eye.  They have gone above and beyond to honor every request.  

• Like 1

So we are currently on Equinox in Aqua.  I booked it as we were coming out of Covid primarily bc of the smaller dining room for Blu for breakfast and dinner.  Tonight was the first night (night 8 ) that we had to wait for dinner and that was only bc we asked for our specific server and it was the last chic night/lobster night so the place was packed.  It’s been at most half full the rest of the nights.  The food has been hit and miss but they are so nice and will switch out anything you don’t like.  One night my fish wasn’t even edible, but the guy next to me ordered the same thing and loved it so it’s kind of all over the place.  My only real complaint for Blu is that I haven’t been that impressed with the sommelier.  I finally learned to ask for wines by name bc even with the premium package they will bring you the absolute cheapest wine option.  (ex: I asked for a Pinot noir and she brought me The Naked Grape).  

I thought we would go to breakfast more but the hours are horrible (7:30-9) so if you want to sleep in on a sea day forget about it. 

Persian gardens are ok.  The spa staff leaves a lot to be desired though and you have to go through them to enter.  It’s very small on Equinox so don’t expect much.  

The afternoon canapés are mostly a miss.  Some are tasty.  Most are terrible.  And all tiny! As in dessert bites that are the size of your pinky nail.  

All of that to say I love the smaller, more intimate, atmosphere of Blu but that is the only real value I see in the increased price so I would base it mainly off that “perk”.  (They don’t have any of the in room exercise items they claim to offer.  There are about a dozen options and were then told they only have a yoga block.) The rest won’t make a huge difference in how much you enjoy your cruise. 

We did get invited to a helipad sail away.  The free champagne and drinks were terrible but the view was great.  

Also on Equinox it’s one of only two floors that are cabins only so it’s super quiet.  

We are doing Aqua next May for the first time. Had a SS booked, but couldn’t justify the cost for a ship that hasn’t been revolutionized. We chose Aqua because it was actually cheaper than a Veranda! Thought that was odd. The price has since gone up, but a veranda now is still what we paid for Aqua so decided to try it. We shall see.

Absolutely do not believe food in Blu is any healthier, more tasty, tables for 2 close together, some like their smoothies for breakfast ….for the price, never. prefer sp restaurant and stimulation of MDR and/or buffet.

you can purchase day or week passes to spa.

We go concierge. Upgraded once to Aqua. Never again.

In my opinion it is not worth anymore. We were on the Refelction in August. The Food was OK but not more. Sometimes the food was over seasonde and at two days I had to give back my food because of the quality. The tatar had so much cartilage that you would not like to eat it. A lot of chicken and salmone. If you get one day salmon you can bet on it that on the next day you got salmon salad. The service was engaged but unprofessional. There were a lot of new crew members. Most of the staff worked before for MSC or Costa. Than explaind a lot. My wife and I will not book aqua for the next two years again.

At the last day I was so angry that I walkted through the maindining room to have a look at the food. And I can tell you, what I saw was much better than I got in 12 days in Aqua. More vegatabels, nicer aragenment on the plate.

Our plan is, main dining room  + Speziality Restaurants.

I forgot, the lobster at chick night was for the garbage box. The baked alaska was artificial.

If this is "modern luxury"  I what back my old Celebrity 😉 

Ship and entertainment was good. But the rest goes down 3 levels as I know from over 30 ruises I made in the past.

Book if you like the route,  take the cheapest cabine of your favour you can get. Enjoy the route, nice peopel you get in touch with. And look during the cruise where you can get what you like on the ship.

1 hour ago, vivacolonia said:

In my opinion it is not worth anymore. We were on the Refelction in August. The Food was OK but not more. Sometimes the food was over seasonde and at two days I had to give back my food because of the quality. The tatar had so much cartilage that you would not like to eat it. A lot of chicken and salmone. If you get one day salmon you can bet on it that on the next day you got salmon salad. The service was engaged but unprofessional. There were a lot of new crew members. Most of the staff worked before for MSC or Costa. Than explaind a lot. My wife and I will not book aqua for the next two years again.

At the last day I was so angry that I walkted through the maindining room to have a look at the food. And I can tell you, what I saw was much better than I got in 12 days in Aqua. More vegatabels, nicer aragenment on the plate.

Our plan is, main dining room  + Speziality Restaurants.

In many yrs of doing AQ class and BLU we did have one  bad experience on Refection and one "dreadful" experience..on another non E ship..sorry can't recall which one it was.

On  Reflection, pre Luminae, the Suite concierge walked in lines of suite guests while AQ guests  just stood in our line..After a few nights and many complaints..that ceased!

On the other cruise,  kitchen service was  terribly slow...while everyone waited for food, the Maitre d  and sommelier catered to a few select lg round  tables..most of them became very drunk.A big party vibe!  Maitre d tried to  stick others in the rear with poor and very slow  kitchen and wait service.  After a few nights we booked into the mdr which treated us like VIPs..great tbl, great service and the food was outstanding,  We did not return to BLU for dinner  on that cruise.  When we let maitre d know at bkfst..he was pout faced but really did not care.

Over the yrs BLU was our favored place..less salt,  plainer food, more custom orders, great service etc..but not sure abt future,..On  E class the mdrs are excellent!

A good,   well trained staff is the key to success!

6 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

We are doing Aqua next May for the first time. Had a SS booked, but couldn’t justify the cost for a ship that hasn’t been revolutionized. We chose Aqua because it was actually cheaper than a Veranda! Thought that was odd. The price has since gone up, but a veranda now is still what we paid for Aqua so decided to try it. We shall see.

We have also booked Aqua for May cruise & couldn’t justify cost of retreat however this thread is making me have a rethink!

9 hours ago, chimchimtx said:

(They don’t have any of the in room exercise items they claim to offer.  There are about a dozen options and were then told they only have a yoga block.) 

I am sailing AquaClass with my niece next month on Equinox. She received an email from Celebrity asking her to select up to 3 in-room amenities from their list of fitness accessories. It was received about 4-5 weeks out. 

Here are the choices we were offered.

ED523EB3-6082-4D70-A7DE-D00D88C6563C.thumb.jpeg.ccf1354ee0c86d0538dd728950737b2e.jpeg

We checked three choices and saw this.

6DAD4181-3EFD-4845-B8CA-27ECC9248A01.thumb.jpeg.4b9c4f20790771a9e6c3f50c10917e29.jpeg

2 hours ago, wineoclock said:

We have also booked Aqua for May cruise & couldn’t justify cost of retreat however this thread is making me have a rethink!

We have done Aqua many (times at least 9) times. We love the Persian Garden on the S class ship heated recliners and large windows - M class just has a heated bench and no windows (not as nice). We love this feature and take full advantage. After following this thread - I feel as though I have sailed with a different company. We have never waited for a table and the staff was wonderful and attentive. We take longer cruises so the staff gets to know us. The food was always great. I enjoy the room service in the morning to bring us our coffee and tea and a fruit plate. The afternoon canapé are not a big deal for us. Also on the S class ship - we book in the front of the ship to take advantage of the quiet lounge that looks out the front of the ship. This is also helpful in the middle of the night when my husband is snoring and I want to read for a while!  Haven't been on the newer ships.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

I am sailing AquaClass with my niece next month on Equinox. She received an email from Celebrity asking her to select up to 3 in-room amenities from their list of fitness accessories. It was received about 4-5 weeks out. 

ED523EB3-6082-4D70-A7DE-D00D88C6563C.thumb.jpeg.ccf1354ee0c86d0538dd728950737b2e.jpeg

6DAD4181-3EFD-4845-B8CA-27ECC9248A01.thumb.jpeg.4b9c4f20790771a9e6c3f50c10917e29.jpeg

Thanks for this!  I asked about Goop when I was looking to book, because from their commercials and on line reading, they were going to offer special content on the TV plus fitness gear.  No one seemed to know anything about it and I got a political comment about G. Paltrow 🙂

1 hour ago, thebutlerdidit said:

Yep.  Got the same email.  I had asked for resistance bands months ahead of time and the instant the email went out. Nope.  Not on board. I was told they didn’t have more.  I was told they didn’t have ANY.  The list the steward was consulting was short so I don’t think they ran out.   (Maybe they sold off all the items during Covid to make money??? Don’t get where they would have gone to) Was offered a yoga block and one other thing instead which I can’t remember now.   There is a yoga mat in the room but the vast majority of the extra options did not exist so I would not plan on getting them.  

Edited by chimchimtx

We definitely feel that Aqua Class is worth the upcharge on the Millennium and Solstice class ships - but definitely NOT worth it on the Edge class ships.  We love Blu - for us, Blu is the primary reason we love Aqua.  Sure, the bottle of sparkling wine (which we always have our steward exchange for a bottle of red), the afternoon canapes which you can tailor to your personal preferences, no charge in the Persian Garden - nice, but not worth the price - it’s all about Blu for us as we love the smaller dining area, the more intimate feel.  We do not adhere at all to the supposed idea that the food in Blu is “healthier” - Celebrity as a fleet has in general made a commitment to healthy meals, to smaller portions - if you want extra, you can order additional dishes - no matter what dining room you’re in.  We find the food in Blue to be no more and no less “healthy" than the food in the main dining room.  

On the Edge Class ships, Aqua cabins all have the infinite verandas (the rooms that have huge windows that open) - no traditional balconies - that, we don’t like.  Plus, the Blu dining room on the Edge class ships has no windows - well, yes, Blu has windows but they are curtained and look out at  the life boats - so, no view.  On the S and M class ships, the views from Blu, even if you’re not seated directly at a window, are beautiful.  Additionally, on the Edge Class ships, we really love the new plan of four main dining rooms - love it, we’ve enjoyed that very much.  Our plan in general on Edge Class is booking a sunset veranda for an incredible traditional balcony, and dining in one of the four main dining rooms or booking specialty dining.  (We love Retreat on Edge Class, but we can’t swing that $$ very often.)  So for us, Aqua on Edge Class is a definite and resounding “no” because of the “no traditional balcony” and because Edge Class has so many lovely dining options - think Eden for specialty - and the four main dining room plan, love that.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Provence55always said:

Anybody on Constellation now in Aqua. Can you please comment on the food.

Thank you.

Just off Constellation this morning. We really enjoyed Blu- mainly because it was easy to get a seat, pretty quiet, and great service. We were able to order from the Main Dining menu as well (which I chose over half the time). Food was good, but not fantastic.