Cunard to Alaska

DWhit

We have been on two previous Cunard voyages (QM2 crossing and QV trip around the UK) and have enjoyed every minute of both.

We are considering an Alaska cruise and I am wondering about how Cunard does Alaska, and how it would compare to our previous voyages.

Is dinner less formal?  Do they require jackets for men?  Is there still ballroom dancing?   Is there a place to hear and dance to more modern music?  Do they host evening parties on occasion?  Do they have the traditional tea on some afternoons?  

Also how are they for excursions?  Do most people use Cunard-sponsored excursions, or do most choose independent excursions?

Do they still allow you to bring your own wine and alcohol for in-room consumption?

Any other things of that nature that might differ from our two previous voyages?

Thanks,

Doug and Pam

We went on the QE to Alaska in 2019, so pre pandemic and I posted a live review but I have no idea how to find it again so I can attach the link. There was dancing and people dressed up for dinner then. We did a combination of Cunard tours an independent, and a walk around the port day. To be honest, I really enjoyed the hike with Wild Wolf tours in Ketchikan and the day we walked around the port in Sitka. If someone tells me how to find the link to my review, I will post it here. My feeling is Cunard does Alaska very well and I was glad we'd gotten a balcony because it was nice to sit out for a bit, come in and make tea, and go back out again.

3 hours ago, kmerlin14 said:

We went on the QE to Alaska in 2019, so pre pandemic and I posted a live review but I have no idea how to find it again so I can attach the link. There was dancing and people dressed up for dinner then. We did a combination of Cunard tours an independent, and a walk around the port day. To be honest, I really enjoyed the hike with Wild Wolf tours in Ketchikan and the day we walked around the port in Sitka. If someone tells me how to find the link to my review, I will post it here. My feeling is Cunard does Alaska very well and I was glad we'd gotten a balcony because it was nice to sit out for a bit, come in and make tea, and go back out again.

I think this is the link to your QE Alaska cruise review from 2019.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=659300

@DWhit

I planned to take Cunard to Alaska in 2020… obviously that did not happen.

BUT

We have now booked Cunard for Alaska for 2023.

Certainly we love the Cunard experience… but one of the things I love about what Cunard offers for Alaska is the excellent itinerary.  We will get both Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay National Park! Plus we want to go to Sitka.
I think as far as excursions it is really up to you whether to do ship excursions, book independently, or explore on your own. There will be plenty of vendors who will want your business in port.

We plan to do a mix of both ship excursions and independent exploring.

We can’t wait!

17 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

@DWhit

I planned to take Cunard to Alaska in 2020… obviously that did not happen.

BUT

We have now booked Cunard for Alaska for 2023.

Certainly we love the Cunard experience… but one of the things I love about what Cunard offers for Alaska is the excellent itinerary.  We will get both Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay National Park! Plus we want to go to Sitka.
I think as far as excursions it is really up to you whether to do ship excursions, book independently, or explore on your own. There will be plenty of vendors who will want your business in port.

We plan to do a mix of both ship excursions and independent exploring.

We can’t wait!

Are you thinking the 10 day cruise.  That is the one we are looking at.  My ONLY concern is that there are only 1 or 2 non-stop flights a day from my preferred airport to Vancouver so will probably fly in 2 days before just in case.

• Like 1

A couple of questions very specific to an Alaska itinerary.

Do they bring aboard sled dogs at any part of the cruise? I think some of the cruise lines do that.  I ask because we did a land trip to Alaska and stayed at a place that had attached a sled dog kennel and my wife loved that.

Does a park ranger come aboard for Glacier bay, do they bring along a passport stamp (no not the country passport, specific for US national parks)?

FYI, not specific to Cunard, there are issues with Skagway so if not fixed there may be a substitute port. Saw this on other forum sites.

On 9/24/2022 at 5:24 PM, DWhit said:

Is dinner less formal?  Do they require jackets for men?  

The requirement for jackets remains on Gala nights, however it has been dropped on other nights - this applies to all Cunard cruises/crossings, not just Alaska ones.

On 9/24/2022 at 5:24 PM, DWhit said:

Do they still allow you to bring your own wine and alcohol for in-room consumption?

Yes - you can still bring your own alcohol on board for in cabin consumption.  You can also take your own wine for consumption in the restaurant, subject to a corkage fee.

15 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

In reading the Cunard website it looks like some of the cruises do not do the inside passage.

I believe they all take at least part of the inside passage. The maps shown on the booking site are often inaccurate.

I was told many years ago by a ship's officer that the Strait of Georgia between Vancouver Island and the mainline is not part of the inside passage, although many people consider it to be so. Ships departing Vancouver take this route north and also south if they are not stopping at Victoria. Many people prefer this route rather than being on the open Pacific.  It appears that Seattle-based cruises always use the route to the west of Vancouver Island.

In 2023 not all Cunard Alaska cruises are stopping at Victoria on the return. For the two Cunard cruises I have taken to Alaska the map on the booking site showed the QE taking the route on the Pacific both ways rather than the Strait of Georgia northbound.  This was not true.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Se1lad said:

Yes - you can still bring your own alcohol on board for in cabin consumption.  You can also take your own wine for consumption in the restaurant, subject to a corkage fee.

BC has some lovely whites and we really enjoyed the one that we picked up before we boarded.

we did Alaska this July. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We did our own thing in the ports, but there were plenty of excursions. 

Lots of ballroom dancing, no parties due to covid I assume.

There was a folk duo and another duo who were good. 

No jackets needed on Smart Attire nights

Some Tlingit people came on board and did talks and music (very interesting), also had a whale expert on board, who was excellent.

We saw Sitka, Juneau, Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway (we were able to dock there), Ketchikan & Victoria (fell in love with Victoria). We also saw whales, dolphins, bald eagles and seals.

There was afternoon tea in the buffet and the Queens' Room.

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Thanks 1