New room service menu starting October 1

Honolulu Blue

As promised, Mr. Heald revealed the new room service menu that will be implemented fleetwide October 1.  As expected, the continental breakfast remains complimentary.  Also as expected, everything else on the menu has a price tag attached to it.  Some prices are up from what I remember them to be pre-pandemic (e.g., philly cheesesteak sandwich up to $7 from $5, cookies up to $3 from $2/free).  I'll attach the pictures of the menu that Mr. Heald so kindly provided:

Carnival-RS-Breakfast.jpg

Carnival-RS-1-Mains.jpg

Carnival-RS-2-Drinks.jpg

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

As promised, Mr. Heald revealed the new room service menu that will be implemented fleetwide October 1.  As expected, the continental breakfast remains complimentary.  Also as expected, everything on the menu has a price tag attached to it.  Some prices are up from what I remember them to be pre-pandemic (e.g., philly cheesesteak sandwich up to $7 from $5, cookies up to $3 from $2/free).  I'll attach the pictures of the menu that Mr. Heald so kindly provided:

Carnival-RS-Breakfast.jpg

Carnival-RS-1-Mains.jpg

Carnival-RS-2-Drinks.jpg

Thanks for posting.  Will you also post this in the "Is Carnival Really Going To..." thread, please?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

So, it looks pretty much the same as before to me, with the exception of the charges for the once-included items.  I was kinda hoping for some additional options.  But I guess what they offer is enough variety from which to choose.  Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We don't use room service very often and if we do it's normally for breakfast. I've tried two of the breakfast sandwiches- the biscuit/sausage and the English muffin/bacon. I much preferred the English muffin one and felt it was worth the $4 that I spent. The biscuit was off somehow and while it was filling just didn't taste right.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

So, it looks pretty much the same as before to me, with the exception of the charges for the once-included items.  I was kinda hoping for some additional options.  But I guess what they offer is enough variety from which to choose.  Thanks.

John Heald mentioned liking the chicken wings in his post.  I think those are new.  I'm too lazy to refer to my pre-pandemic RS menus (if I have them lying around somewhere), so I can't point out item by item what other items are new.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

4 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

John Heald mentioned liking the chicken wings.  I think those are new.  I'm too lazy to refer to my pre-pandemic RS menus (if I have them lying around somewhere), so I can't point out item by item what other items are new.

I'm pretty sure the chicken wings were there before.  DH ordered them a couple times.  Another poster (ObstructedView, maybe?) posted the old menu a few days ago on the other thread.

ETA: Found it, but not computer savvy enough to link to it directly.  It's post number 140 in the other thread.  The wings were there, and cost $5 before.

Edited by ShakyBeef
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I thought they were going to offer a "new expanded" menu when included room service went away. The only thing they expanded is the prices. What a major disappointment.

I'm getting dizzy responding on both threads.  I posted over on the other one all the items I was noticing missing from the new menu.  I started getting pretty bummed out the more I noticed missing and had to stop looking.  I'm just going to have to focus on: very limited Room Service is better than no Room Service.  It's OK, not a big deal.  I was just kinda hoping for more options, not less.  I don't know why.  I should have known better.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, debnrick said:

Does anyone know if they still have the blue Equal artificial sweetener? It wasn’t listed on the menu. Thanks. 

I don't know, but since it's not listed among the sweeteners, I would assume not.  I'd bring my own from home if I were you.

1 minute ago, ShakyBeef said:

I'm getting dizzy responding on both threads.  I posted over on the other one all the items I was noticing missing from the new menu.  I started getting pretty bummed out the more I noticed missing and had to stop looking.  I'm just going to have to focus on: very limited Room Service is better than no Room Service.  It's OK, not a big deal.  I was just kinda hoping for more options, not less.  I don't know why.  I should have known better.

When they teased a "new expanded" menu I figured all they'd do is add prices and send it out.

To me $5 for a PB&J is an insult.

There is nothing good about this change at all.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Just now, mz-s said:

When they teased a "new expanded" menu I figured all they'd do is add prices and send it out.

To me $5 for a PB&J is an insult.

There is nothing good about this change at all.

I don't know if it still does, but the PB&J used to come with potato chips and a chocolate chip cookie or two.  This with a beer is DH's favourite RS order.  He enjoys it while relaxing in the jetted bathtub.  It became a wacky Carnival cruise tradition for him many years ago, when we booked our first Suite and he just couldn't stop chuckling about his silly Jacuzzi tub snack.  He'll still order it for the $5, but will be disappointed if the chips and cookie are no longer included.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ShakyBeef said:

I don't know if it still does, but the PB&J used to come with potato chips and a chocolate chip cookie or two.  This with a beer is DH's favourite RS order.  He enjoys it while relaxing in the jetted bathtub.  It became a wacky Carnival cruise tradition for him many years ago, when we booked our first Suite and he just couldn't stop chuckling about his silly Jacuzzi tub snack.  He'll still order it for the $5, but will be disappointed if the chips and cookie are no longer included.

Yeah according to the menu the cookie and chips are still included. So at least there's that I guess.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

I was just kinda hoping for more options, not less.  I don't know why.  I should have known better.

You're not imagining things.  Quoting from Carnival's e-mail announcing the room service (emphasis mine):

We have been carefully watching guest patterns since our restart in July 2021, including food and dining preferences. As a result, we are updating our room service menu to add more options on an à la carte basis, while maintaining a complimentary breakfast offering each morning. These changes are consistent with trends across the industry, and also provide us opportunities to continue to work toward meeting our various sustainability goals, including food, water and energy reduction, while still giving our guests the option of 24/7 room service if they so choose.

Effective with all cruises departing on or after October 1, 2022, we will be rolling out the expanded room service menu across our fleet. In addition to the complimentary breakfast selections, we will be adding choices which reflect what we believe will meet more guest preferences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

You're not imagining things.  Quoting from Carnival's e-mail announcing the room service (emphasis mine):

We have been carefully watching guest patterns since our restart in July 2021, including food and dining preferences. As a result, we are updating our room service menu to add more options on an à la carte basis, while maintaining a complimentary breakfast offering each morning. These changes are consistent with trends across the industry, and also provide us opportunities to continue to work toward meeting our various sustainability goals, including food, water and energy reduction, while still giving our guests the option of 24/7 room service if they so choose.

Effective with all cruises departing on or after October 1, 2022, we will be rolling out the expanded room service menu across our fleet. In addition to the complimentary breakfast selections, we will be adding choices which reflect what we believe will meet more guest preferences.

Thank you.  I thought I had gotten that idea of "expanded" or "added" options from somewhere early on in this discussion.  Even though I said I was going to stop, I keep looking back at the new menu and noticing more things my family has enjoyed many times (including grilled cheese, one of my favourite comfort foods) missing from Room Service.😢  The new menu is just so much smaller!  I'm really working on my feeling of gratitude overcoming my feeling of disappointment, right now.  Working hard at it.😐

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

I thought they were going to offer a "new expanded" menu when included room service went away. The only thing they expanded is the prices. What a major disappointment.

Right!  This new menu isn't better, it's more expensive.  The only things we've ordered from the previous menu are still there and are more expensive.  I hope the increased price means they aren't such stingy portions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spirit-wedding? said:

Right!  This new menu isn't better, it's more expensive.  The only things we've ordered from the previous menu are still there and are more expensive.  I hope the increased price means they aren't such stingy portions.

$5 for a PB&J plus "service charge" plus customary tip. It's darn close to $20 for my wife and I to get a sandwich delivered after a port day. Carnival is pricing me off of their ships!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I'm pretty sure the chicken wings were there before.  DH ordered them a couple times.  Another poster (ObstructedView, maybe?) posted the old menu a few days ago on the other thread.

ETA: Found it, but not computer savvy enough to link to it directly.  It's post number 140 in the other thread.  The wings were there, and cost $5 before.

I was gonna point that out. The wings were there and were $5. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

We don't use room service very often and if we do it's normally for breakfast. I've tried two of the breakfast sandwiches- the biscuit/sausage and the English muffin/bacon. I much preferred the English muffin one and felt it was worth the $4 that I spent. The biscuit was off somehow and while it was filling just didn't taste right.

Thanks for the review.  Both the muffin and the biscuit are $5 (plus 18% gratuity) now, which fits the theme of Carnival's great room service redo.

P.S.  Thanks to those that pointed out the chicken wings are not a new addition.  I apologize for the misinformation.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

$5 for a PB&J plus "service charge" plus customary tip. It's darn close to $20 for my wife and I to get a sandwich delivered after a port day. Carnival is pricing me off of their ships!

As far as I'm concerned the service charge is the tip. The only tip I leave now is if we only get the complimentary items. Two sandwiches are $10, plus $1.80 plus whatever you would leave in addition to that. Nowhere near $20 unless you are leaving a lot as the customary tip. (And I will note that Royal and NCL both charge for room service as well, with the added benefit of paying more to sail with them as a rule, although good deals still pop up.)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spirit-wedding? said:

We have to pay 18% gratuity and a service charge?

18% service charge is added to all checks. gratuity is customary for all deliveries but not required obviously. The service charge is just additional profit for Carnival ($5 for a dry PB&J isn't enough as it is), it is not a tip given to the delivery or kitchen crew. If it was a tip they'd call it a gratuity.

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

As far as I'm concerned the service charge is the tip. The only tip I leave now is if we only get the complimentary items. Two sandwiches are $10, plus $1.80 plus whatever you would leave in addition to that. Nowhere near $20 unless you are leaving a lot as the customary tip. (And I will note that Royal and NCL both charge for room service as well, with the added benefit of paying more to sail with them as a rule, although good deals still pop up.)

I don't want to get into a tipping debate. I used to always tip for room service deliveries. I doubt I'll ever order room service on Carnival again - at these prices it's obvious they don't want anyone to actually order anything. $5 for a dry PB&J and $7 for half an order of TGI Friday's frozen chicken tenders is an insult.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1