First Time Doing This!

Ret MP

About a week or two ago, I transferred my BOA (Royal Visa C.C.) Rewards points over to my Oct 31 cruise on the Independence.  I did it online in the BOA website.  Does anybody have experience doing this?  If so, what do I expect from here?  What notification? What receipt or acknowledgement form Royal?  How do I know if they were successfully transferred to my folio before embarkation day?

16 minutes ago, John Reid said:

I've made four point transfers. The amount just shows up in your account. If you go to your Plan My Cruise button on your cruise listing, it shows up there.895233113_ScreenShot2022-10-05at1_13_44AM.thumb.png.5a3060ba8ac5974809f5f990e538412c.png895233113_ScreenShot2022-10-05at1_13_44AM.thumb.png.5a3060ba8ac5974809f5f990e538412c.png

Thank you.  That was very helpful. It was there.

Now, it says that it can be used to spend on "pre-cruise purchases".  I was under the understanding that the credits could be used as actual OBCs, pay for the onboard folio.  I was actually advised not pre-pay the gratuities and then pay for them while on the ship with the OBC.  A Royal "Phone Answerer" told me that.  

Do you have any more insight into this?  

11 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Thank you.  That was very helpful. It was there.

Now, it says that it can be used to spend on "pre-cruise purchases".  I was under the understanding that the credits could be used as actual OBCs, pay for the onboard folio.  I was actually advised not pre-pay the gratuities and then pay for them while on the ship with the OBC.  A Royal "Phone Answerer" told me that.  

Do you have any more insight into this?  

Of course it's your choice how you spend it.  You can spend it on things in your Cruise Planner or you can use it on board in your SeaPass account, to offset ANY charges.

• Like 1

That's great news.  Just what I wanted to hear.

I just purchased the Hibachi for two.  I was surprised I could make a reservation.  I though you couldn't make dining reservations until onboard.  I'm happy.

So far so good.  Now, I've got another issue, or not.  On the top where it shows my OBC, it only show the amount that I got off of my Credit Card, not my wife's.  We had $200.00 each but it only shows $200.00.  I did select the "Share" option when I made the transfer.  Is there a way to see her OBC or do I need to call RCCL in the morning?

Edited by Ret MP

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

So far so good.  Now, I've got another issue, or not.  On the top where is shows my OBC, it only show the amount that I got off of my Credit Card, not my wife's.  We had $200.00 each but it only shows $200.00.  I did select the "Share" option when I made the transfer.  Is there a way to see her OBC or do I need to call RCCL in the morning?

It will be on her Royal Caribbean online account. 

A few years ago, when it didn't show up in the planner, I used to select the "share" option so we could book onboard. Now that it shows up in the planner, I just put it on mine and book for both of us. 😀

19 minutes ago, Coralc said:

It will be on her Royal Caribbean online account. 

A few years ago, when it didn't show up in the planner, I used to select the "share" option so we could book onboard. Now that it shows up in the planner, I just put it on mine and book for both of us. 😀

Man, I hate just adding one issue after another.  But, Royal's IT just keeps on frustrating me. My wife doesn't have a separate "On-line" account.  We both use the same log-in and password.  Both, website and mobile app.  I just looked into our BOA on-line accounts, on BOA we do have separate credit card accounts, and her amount shows transferred  to RCCL and so does mine.  So, here we go, hurry up and wait, on hold with RCCL.  Mine shows as a OBC on RCCLs website but hers doesn't.

That won't work. She needs to have her own online account with her C&A number. She can probably have a <similar> log in and share the same password. Edit: If you have two different card accounts with different credit card numbers, why would you expect the OBC to end up on one C&A account? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. We just share a single account (that I control) :classic_tongue:

Edited by Coralc

5 hours ago, Ret MP said:

That's great news.  Just what I wanted to hear.

I just purchased the Hibachi for two.  I was surprised I could make a reservation.  I though you couldn't make dining reservations until onboard.  I'm happy.

You can reserve speciality restaurants if not buying a package and paying, you just can’t reserve them if you have any dining packages (apart from Chops +1 where they book Chops for you).

6 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Just FYI, if you had wanted to use your OBC for the gratuities, you do have to wait to do that until onboard.  Gratuties cannot be paid in advance using OBC.  I do love that you can make other purchases with OBC prior to actually boarding.  I wish more cruiselines besides the Royal brands would do that.  

7 hours ago, rebeccac said:

Just FYI, if you had wanted to use your OBC for the gratuities, you do have to wait to do that until onboard.  Gratuties cannot be paid in advance using OBC.  I do love that you can make other purchases with OBC prior to actually boarding.  I wish more cruiselines besides the Royal brands would do that.  

Yep, that's what the "Phone Answerer" said and I want to do.

7 hours ago, rebeccac said:

Yep, that's what the "Phone Answerer" said and I want to do.

Just in case anyone is interested in the outcome of this, I called Royal's Reward Desk and this is what it is:

My wife's and my reward points/$$ were successfully transferred over from BOA to our Royal Account for this cruise.  No, we don't need two separate Royal Caribbean Accounts.  The very helpful gentleman said that the $200.00 that was visible was process quickly.  However, the second, my $200.00 has been received but not put into my folio, for lack of a better term, as yet.  He said that it can take up to two weeks for a transfer to be completely process even though they were submitted at the same time.  So, I am in a hurry-up and wait mode for my additional $200.00 to show up in my account.

5 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

How do you purchase OBC?  I didn't book through RCI I used my travel agent.

That doesn't matter unless your TA offers OBCs.  However, the way I did it was through my Bank of America Visa Credit Card which gives you reward points that can be used for a large variety of Royal merchandise and also OBCs.  

1 hour ago, nasa1974 said:

My TA doesn't offer OBC and my VISA is no longer part of BoA. So do you call RCI and ask for OBC and give them a credit card number?

Oh, I believe you want to know how you buy OBCs?  If so, not that I know of.  If Royal offers OBC as part of the original sale/package, it will show up on your initial invoice.  Other than that, if your TA doesn't offer OBCs and your initial booking didn't include OBCs, I don't know how you can get OBC's after the booking.

If you are asking if an unaffiliated Credit Card Company that gives rewards/points can be transferred into Royal OBCs, I don't know.  You'd have to call your CC company and ask them if they are usable and if so, how.