Coral Princess Trip Report from Princess newbie with lots of photos

36 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Sounds like you really need to do your research before booking if you want a standard balcony cabin with cover on the Coral Princess

There's an awful lot to get your head around though when you try out a new cruise line. For one thing the Princess website and all the different price options. Then looking for availability on a trip you want to do let alone something within your price range.

I had never even heard of balconies not being covered - didn't occur to me as an issue and when I did find out about it, looking at all the websites that give a snippet of information about it but really presume that you have some basic working knowledge of Princess cruise ships to start with, so it's very confusing. As a newbie, I find it very confusing that the decks aren't just numbered but have names so that's an added layer of stuff to wade through.

Now I find I have uncovered balconies for the two trips I've booked, I'm going to roll with it and see how I like it. If it were high summer I'd be in a bit of strife but at the time of year I'm going it may be absolutely great.

Personally, now I've read your posts @aussielozzie18 I'm more worried about the food! That's an issue that I've seen echoed in the videos of some youtube cruisers in the research I've been doing.

It's not just standard balconies either that are uncovered, apparently so everyone needs to have their wits about them when booking.

BTW when I did end up booking, I first made a booking through the Princess website and used the 3 day period before deposit is due to keep researching. I wasn't keen on the 20% deposit so when the Princess sales person who assigned herself to me rang me and asked if she could help me, I tried to get her to accept a lower deposit. I reckon that 20% deposit, two years out on a 17 day cruise is a lot. She wouldn't play ball so I went to a Big Box internet travel co I've dealt with before and they were having a $25 deposit special so that's what I ended up doing and made two bookings instead of one.

2 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

There's an awful lot to get your head around though when you try out a new cruise line. For one thing the Princess website and all the different price options. Then looking for availability on a trip you want to do let alone something within your price range.

I had never even heard of balconies not being covered - didn't occur to me as an issue and when I did find out about it, looking at all the websites that give a snippet of information about it but really presume that you have some basic working knowledge of Princess cruise ships to start with, so it's very confusing. As a newbie, I find it very confusing that the decks aren't just numbered but have names so that's an added layer of stuff to wade through.

Now I find I have uncovered balconies for the two trips I've booked, I'm going to roll with it and see how I like it. If it were high summer I'd be in a bit of strife but at the time of year I'm going it may be absolutely great.

Personally, now I've read your posts @aussielozzie18 I'm more worried about the food! That's an issue that I've seen echoed in the videos of some youtube cruisers in the research I've been doing.

It's not just standard balconies either that are uncovered, apparently so everyone needs to have their wits about them when booking.

BTW when I did end up booking, I first made a booking through the Princess website and used the 3 day period before deposit is due to keep researching. I wasn't keen on the 20% deposit so when the Princess sales person who assigned herself to me rang me and asked if she could help me, I tried to get her to accept a lower deposit. I reckon that 20% deposit, two years out on a 17 day cruise is a lot. She wouldn't play ball so I went to a Big Box internet travel co I've dealt with before and they were having a $25 deposit special so that's what I ended up doing and made two bookings instead of one.

Well done!  I agree 20% deposit, two years out, on a 17 day cruise is far too much.  $25 deposit you can't loose.  They deserve your support.

57 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You can check it out here:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Coral is a bit different to the other ships as balcony size etc can vary on each deck. It's not one rule fits all.

Thanks very much @OzKiwiJJ for that. I did find that website last night but different types of pages - the ones with the deck plans with photos and videos.

I'll have another read of the information you've linked to. I did look at that page a few months ago when I was booking but I'll get more out of it now as I have a better idea of how it works.

Seems to me that if you wanted to be particular about how big your balcony is and whether it's uncovered or not, you'd have to book as soon as the itineraries are released as it comes down to availability when you book.

59 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Coral seems to have a higher percentage of two seater tables than other Princess ships I've been on. I think they may have swapped out some six seater tables and replaced them with two two-seaters close together. We actually like those tables - they are served as separate tables as the two tables fill at different times but there is the opportunity to chat with the people on the other table. In other words you get the advantages of a shared table but without the slower service disadvantage. We met a lovely couple last night and ended up chatting for a couple of hours.

Definitely nice to chat to those next to you if you want to.  Like you had a lovely couple that I ended up chatting to, so much so we almost ran late for the theatre performance.

I just commented because if you were new to Princess-and wanted conversational privacy for whatever reason, you would be disappointed initially.  Although I am sure the waiters would be more than happy to move you to a more private location, if the restaurant is not close to capacity and other tables are available.

Just now, LittleFish1976 said:

We've done 40 days on Coral so far and have only had a couple of "misses" with the MDR meals. We are "foodies" and enjoy a variety of cuisines. I don't expect three hat restaurant cuisine on a cruise ship, it is essentially mass catering cuisine but the variety is excellent and we've rarely had issues with dishes coming out cooler than expected. However there is a higher risk of that if you are at a large shared table as the waiters collect all the dishes for a particular course at once and may have to wait to fill some orders. Choosing a table for two may be why our meals always come out hot.

To put it another way if the food wasn't good on Coral Princess we wouldn't still be on the ship! 😊

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

Just now, aussielozzie18 said:

Definitely nice to chat to those next to you if you want to.  Like you had a lovely couple that I ended up chatting to, so much so we almost ran late for the theatre performance.

I just commented because if you were new to Princess-and wanted conversational privacy for whatever reason, you would be disappointed initially.  Although I am sure the waiters would be more than happy to move you to a more private location, if the restaurant is not close to capacity and other tables are available.

There are a few solo two-seater tables so if you identify one or two that you like you can ask the MDR hostess to try to reserve one of those for you each night.

• Thanks 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Well done!  I agree 20% deposit, two years out, on a 17 day cruise is far too much.  $25 deposit you can't loose.  They deserve your support.

20% deposit is standard on most cruise lines these days. The secret to cheap deposits on Princess is to buy Future Cruise Deposits while onboard. $100 per person for each and generous OBC is given when you use them.

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've done 40 days on Coral so far and have only had a couple of "misses" with the MDR meals. We are "foodies" and enjoy a variety of cuisines. I don't expect three hat restaurant cuisine on a cruise ship, it is essentially mass catering cuisine but the variety is excellent and we've rarely had issues with dishes coming out cooler than expected. However there is a higher risk of that if you are at a large shared table as the waiters collect all the dishes for a particular course at once and may have to wait to fill some orders. Choosing a table for two may be why our meals always come out hot.

To put it another way if the food wasn't good on Coral Princess we wouldn't still be on the ship! 😊

Very good to hear! I don't need haute cuisine, just some basic edible meals, is fine.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

20% deposit is standard on most cruise lines these days. The secret to cheap deposits on Princess is to buy Future Cruise Deposits while onboard. $100 per person for each and generous OBC is given when you use them.

That's a good hint, thanks for that. From reading this board, it seemed that once you have a few cruises with Princess under your belt you get a preferential rate of deposit anyway. I've been used to paying 10% with the line I would otherwise cruise with.

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I didn't know that.  I book so close to departure I pay in full.  FCD didn't work for me as I didn't cruise with the cruise line by the deadline.  They sent  cheques in lieu of putting amount back on credit card.

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Sorry, I am at work & missed your post.  Re the MDR food, just remember that I was only on board for 3 nights.  It’s just my experience from a short cruise.  I did comment in the survey though.  

I usually do a massive amount of research before our family  land holidays and I remember doing so much research prior to our first 3 family cruises  with Royal on different ships, then my solos with Carnival & Holland America.  For this one, being a short cruise, I just made sure I had the right docs, MDR bookings and at least a partial port tour and didn’t stress about the rest.  Studying the ship layout would have been really helpful though.

My booking was a last minute booking, I paid in full upfront.  Glad you were able to pay the deposit you were comfortable with.

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

The problem with being a solo diner is the waitstaff bring out your food too quickly (this has occurred on other lines too).  Because you are not chatting, you finish your dish quicker.  I now know to ask the waiters to give me a break between serving each course.

Holland America (Noordam) had nice gaps between private tables  in the area I was seated on the first two nights.  Rest of the cruise was spent on a table of four with another couple.

This is partly a covid response. On Princess, many of those paired tables for two would have previously been a table for four. 2 person tables used to be hard to get on Princess, and there were few to go around. What they currently have is a compromise between having enough 2 person tables to go around and having enough room to seat everyone. 

Yes, in general HAL dining rooms are a bit more intimate.

2 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Princess were happy to put me on a share table and kept offering one at the restaurant entrance.  So even though I booked a private table it wasn’t a problem to join a share table at the last minute if I wanted to (for dining early at 5.20pm at least).

I was on a big shared table 6 or 8 people on the nights I ate in MDR, plus a couple of brekkies and lunches, it was good. No way would I eat alone in the mdr, I would feel like a nigel or a dork.lol. Buffet different scenario, ok on my own but at busy times I shared a table or was joined by others, no worries.

Edited by NSWP

Just now, LittleFish1976 said:

That's a good hint, thanks for that. From reading this board, it seemed that once you have a few cruises with Princess under your belt you get a preferential rate of deposit anyway. I've been used to paying 10% with the line I would otherwise cruise with.

You only need one cruise with Princess to buy the FCDs - just remember to buy them while you're onboard. They are valid for two years and refunded if you don't use them. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, arxcards said:

This is partly a covid response. On Princess, many of those paired tables for two would have previously been a table for four. 2 person tables used to be hard to get on Princess, and there were few to go around. What they currently have is a compromise between having enough 2 person tables to go around and having enough room to seat everyone. 

Yes, in general HAL dining rooms are a bit more intimate.

No, the space used by the double two-seaters is more than a four--seater table so my guess is it was six-seater spaces. The tables are a decent size, square not narrow oblongs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, the space used by the double two-seaters is more than a four--seater table so my guess is it was six-seater spaces. The tables are a decent size, square not narrow oblongs.

Probably right. My point was that before the lockdown, many of those paired pseudo twins didn't  exist. Having the option of one of those twins is better than them not being there at all.

I think I know the answer to this but going to ask anyway.  Just checked my bank account.  Onboard final bill has gone through.  Also a separate Princess charge for $100.  I am assuming this is the holding fee that will eventually be reversed or drop off?  Previous holding fees from hotels have been listed as pending so that’s why I am asking.  Thanks,

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I was on a big shared table 6 or 8 people on the nights I ate in MDR, plus a couple of brekkies and lunches, it was good. No way would I eat alone in the mdr, I would feel like a nigel or a dork.lol. Buffet different scenario, ok on my own but at busy times I shared a table or was joined by others, no worries.

Shared a table in the Buffet a couple of times at my request due to lack of tables - no issue.  I would always seek a smaller table so as not to hog space for others.  If anyone had asked to join me at the table in the buffet area I would have happily said yes.

Each to their own but I didn’t feel like a Neville no friends or a dork dining solo in MDR.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Probably right. My point was that before the lockdown, many of those paired pseudo twins didn't  exist. Having the option of one of those twins is better than them not being there at all.

Yes, I think I said that earlier. Where there is space they even arrange the seating so people are spaced out more by having each table's seats on two adjacent sides rather than opposite each other and with the other table seated the opposite way around.

17 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Shared a table in the Buffet a couple of times at my request due to lack of tables - no issue.  I would always seek a smaller table so as not to hog space for others.  If anyone had asked to join me at the table in the buffet area I would have happily said yes.

Each to their own but I didn’t feel like a Neville no friends or a dork dining solo in MDR.  

On my last solo cruise, I was happy to sit on my own taking in the beautiful view as I ate.  However, someone, such as the guest speaker, would join me.  I would say it wasn't necessary but they would say they were happy to join me.  Maybe part of their job ?  Guest Speakers on small ships are always interesting. 

• Like 1

Just now, aussielozzie18 said:

I think I know the answer to this but going to ask anyway.  Just checked my bank account.  Onboard final bill has gone through.  Also a separate Princess charge for $100.  I am assuming this is the holding fee that will eventually be reversed or drop off?  Previous holding fees from hotels have been listed as pending so that’s why I am asking.  Thanks,

Did you buy a Future Cruise Deposit while on your cruise? They are charged directly not through your onboard account.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

21 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Absolutely, and I would do the same if travelling solo.

I have had my share of strangers, drunks, domestics, know it all's and people scoffing food at my dining table......not to mention the small talk!!

It's your holiday, you paid for it so enjoy it your way!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Absolutely, and I would do the same if travelling solo.

I have had my share of strangers, drunks, domestics, know it all's and people scoffing food at my dining table......not to mention the small talk!!

It's your holiday, you paid for it so enjoy it your way!

Memories of travelling around USA and Canada for three months on my own - strangers falling asleep on my shoulder.  (I was 24)