Live Virtuoso 16 October

Eglesbrech

Elvis tribute act last night which was a nice change of pace from the in house team.

We are now being directed to the same table each night for diner and are lucky to have great servers (to be honest they are all great and try so hard to make it an enjoyable experience). Our waiter is good at recommending the best dishes and to date he has been spot on. The food has been excellent (other than formal night which was for some reason more busy and still not terrible). 

All the staff in the YC seem to genuinely want you to have a great holiday  notice things and attend to them, they are proactive rather than reactive which in this day and age is so refreshing.

Didnt feel like a big breakfast this morning so just had a small croissant with salmon, coffee and orange in Top Sail. There are 3 places for breakfast in the YC - the main restaurant, up on deck 19 outside or small snacky breakfast items in the Top Sail lounge (which also serves savoury and sweet mini plates throughout the whole day which change over regularly).

Its wet today but nothing that a rain jacket won’t fix so we went off to La Corruna to shop. The Main Street is a 5 minute walk from the port. The big shopping mall next to the port is dead now but the small shops in the traditional centre are thriving. The first time we came here in the 90s that mall was not built, next few times it was a thriving place, now it’s gone.

Looks like rough weather tonight so going to have a large lunch in case diner doesn’t happen for us!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Oz_Steve said:

My wife and I are booked YC on the Virtuosa from 23 to 29 November (Rotterdan-LeHavre-Hamburg-Rotterdam) so interested in your insights. First time MSC and first time YC.

You will have a lovely time. You are so well looked after from arrival to disembarkation.

Have you been to these ports before?

17 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

You will have a lovely time. You are so well looked after from arrival to disembarkation.

Have you been to these ports before?

We are living in Den Haag at the moment so we have been to Rotterdam several times. Have been to LeHavre before (not on a cruise) and we have been to Mont St Michelle and Normandy. Haven't been to Southampton or Hamburg. My wife is keen on going to the Christmas Markets in Hamburg.

We're on the Virtuosa for a Mini Cruise to Hamburg next month, I've seen that they've changed the testing policy to "For vaccinated Guests it’s not required (but strongly recommended) to present a negative test."

Were they asking you for for negative tests still? Or did you just show them the vaccination info?

We went on a Med cruise last year, and they were constantly changing the rules, but some of the ships were being funny/following what was stated on the website, so I wanted to double check 🙂

Edited by tom1022

8 hours ago, Oz_Steve said:

We are living in Den Haag at the moment so we have been to Rotterdam several times. Have been to LeHavre before (not on a cruise) and we have been to Mont St Michelle and Normandy. Haven't been to Southampton or Hamburg. My wife is keen on going to the Christmas Markets in Hamburg.

Bigger ships usually berth well out of the city but the shuttle drop offs are generally right at the town hall where the main Christmas market is held. The Hamburg markets are lovely, very atmpopheric.

7 hours ago, tom1022 said:

We're on the Virtuosa for a Mini Cruise to Hamburg next month, I've seen that they've changed the testing policy to "For vaccinated Guests it’s not required (but strongly recommended) to present a negative test."

Were they asking you for for negative tests still? Or did you just show them the vaccination info?

We went on a Med cruise last year, and they were constantly changing the rules, but some of the ships were being funny/following what was stated on the website, so I wanted to double check 🙂

They wanted to see vaccination certificates but we didn’t require test results if you were fully vaccinated on this voyage. As you say it changes.

Well as predicted dinner didn’t happen. Left after just a starter as there were plates crashing, glasses smashing and people staggering in the extreme swell.

Over night there was apparently quite a bit of damage in some YC cabins (all at the front and high up) with smashed glasses, bottles etc. The wind and waves were dreadful from last evening until about 9 this morning. I very uncomfortable night.

Went to Indochine for lunch today and while the starter of squid was nice and the spicy soup good, the papaya salad lacked papaya. The mains were truly dreadful, tasteless and stodgy. The pork belly was just a plate of un rendered fat and the beef cold and congealed. The dessert was poor as well, one of the party had custard which he could at least eat, we all had what looked like an ice smooth with red beans in it - truely horrible and I don’t use hyperbole like that often. Next cruise back the excellent Butchers Cut.

We went to the crew show this afternoon and they were all very, very good. One lad sang classical and he had an excellent voice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

. Next cruise back the excellent Butchers Cut.

I hope everything gets repaired quickly and both crew and passengers are all okay.

You're not the first not to enjoy Indochine.

Have you tried Hola!?  The all you can eat is great value, and if there's something you don't like, easy to order something else.

Edited by showingdiva
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Bigger ships usually berth well out of the city but the shuttle drop offs are generally right at the town hall where the main Christmas market is held. The Hamburg markets are lovely, very atmpopheric.

those big ships are usually dacked at Steinwerder terminal - rather far from the center 

19 hours ago, tom1022 said:

The rules changed to this on 1st October on the very day we embarked. As we already had tests purchased, we did them, but the check-in lad wasn't interested in seeing the results at all.

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing

Last day here in La Harve. We walked into town as we enjoy seeing the fish market etc on the way in , about a 20 minute walk to the centre of town.

There was a shuttle for £9 per person which dropped off in the city centre.

Got lots of nice bits and bobs for Christmas.

Back on board for an excellent lunch and now chilling on deck 19 in the sun.

Lovely cruise (apart from the really rough weather but it is October).

As a personal point of view I would not travel MSC unless in YC but I am in the older demographic and like some peace and quiet, good food and good service. I couldn’t be bothered with all the noise and bizz downstairs but for those who like that, there is a lot to see and do.

Another great cruise, roll on the next one 😀

Edited by Eglesbrech
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, showingdiva said:

I hope everything gets repaired quickly and both crew and passengers are all okay.

You're not the first not to enjoy Indochine.

Have you tried Hola!?  The all you can eat is great value, and if there's something you don't like, easy to order something else.

I’ll give it a try, next cruise booked!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for a very interesting overview of Virtuosa. We are a group of 6 sailing on Sat 12th Nov for 1 week Northern Pearls. Are there facilities to iron/Press clothes? I see you can book a going home laundry package but rather I need items ironing so I don't look like a rag bag!

Thanks for your help in anticipation. There no roll call for our cruise unfortunately.

Louise [Leelou270]

• Thanks 1

No facilities onboard for you to iron clothes yourself. You can send items for pressing via the laundry service. This isn't part of the laundry package, you can just send individual items. 

I've found wrinkle release spray is excellent or hanging items in the bathroom whilst showering. Everyone is in the same boat, no pun intended and no-one notices a few wrinkles. 

17 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

No facilities onboard for you to iron clothes yourself. You can send items for pressing via the laundry service. This isn't part of the laundry package, you can just send individual items. 

I've found wrinkle release spray is excellent or hanging items in the bathroom whilst showering. Everyone is in the same boat, no pun intended and no-one notices a few wrinkles. 

Many thanks for your information. 
Louise 

Leelou270