Live Virtuoso 16 October

Eglesbrech

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from Eglesbrech! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Eglesbrech was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Back on MSC and a quick and efficient embarkation after an horrendous journey south. Closed  roads and detours adding hours to the journey.

The weather here is just lovely, so much warmer than at home.

Had a drink in top sail, a really excellent lunch upstairs in the restaurant and now sitting on the balcony enjoying a glass of champagne. I’m still loving the facilities of the YC and the staff were so welcoming with many remembering us from the last cruise.

The cabin is spotless, the mini bar filled, the food just lovey - nothing more that we need.

Bon voyage to all those onboard.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Back on MSC and a quick and efficient embarkation after an horrendous journey south. Closed  roads and detours adding hours to the journey.

Had a drink in top sail, a really excellent lunch upstairs in the restaurant and now sitting on the balcony enjoying a glass of champagne. I’m still loving the facilities of the YC and the staff were so welcoming with many remembering us from the last cruise.

The cabin is spotless, the mini bar filled, the food just lovey - nothing more that we need.

Thank you for offering a live report.  I'll be following this with great interest because my wife and I are in the YC on Virtuosa for 3 weeks in January.  It will be our 6th time on MSC (and 4th in YC), but our 1st on Virtuosa, so very much looking forward to your insights.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Enjoy! I'm in YC or Meraviglia in a few weeks here. Is the mini bar all complementary? Or is it just the drinks and not the snacks? I've heard conflicting reports here.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Elsammo46 said:

Enjoy! I'm in YC or Meraviglia in a few weeks here. Is the mini bar all complementary? Or is it just the drinks and not the snacks? I've heard conflicting reports here.

The mini bar is complimentary. The first lot of snacks are too but if you order any more snacks then they are charged, the butler explained this today.

4 hours ago, travelwide said:

Glad you are having a great time. Can you post who the HD and YC director are. Also who is playing the piano in the Top Sail lounge. 🥂 have one or two for us.

YC director is Christopher Harrington

HD is Alistair Burnett

I will try to find out about the piano man - he played lots of Billy Joel tonight and was very good.

will do thanks🥂

Well there are 5500 adults and 1690 children onboard so the ship is busy. Scottish school holidays so lots of fellow Scots onboard.

Unfortunately we are on the same “ week” as our last cruise so the same YC menus and shows. Some of the show cast have changed though and there are some really good singers. Went to the 7 pm show which was busier than in September.

Excellent dinner, even if the menus are the same there is always something different to choose from. The one thing I did notice is that the wine list is more limited and the same at lunch and dinner buts it’s just day 1 so that may change.

Quite a few children in the YC most of whom are just lovely and others who need much better parenting! Grumpy old woman alert -  allowing children to run around getting in the way of the staff with heavy trays, jump on soft furnishings and slide along the window sills is not on imo.

This week the guest artist is an Elvis impersonator.

Off to bed after a good show, great meal and some nice piano music in the YC.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

YC director is Christopher Harrington

HD is Alistair Burnett

I will try to find out about the piano man - he played lots of Billy Joel tonight and was very good.

will do thanks🥂

Thank you. I am looking for a lady named Irina.

12 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

.....Unfortunately we are on the same “ week” as our last cruise so the same YC menus and shows.....

Normally there are 7 YC menus, and they repeat, so it doesn't matter which 'week' it is until they change those menus and begin repeating again.  Shows run for years, so it's not surprising they haven't changed.

• Thanks 1

Strange sea day as the sea is calm but the ship is moving a lot in the wind. Seen several people ill, one child in spectacular fashion coming out of the lift! Lots of ginger beer being consumed to settle stomachs, personally I just drink champagne and tell myself it helps. They don’t have bags out which surprised me, one enterprising mum used a polly bag which she quickly emptied and deployed to good effect.

Wine lists changed today so all good, food really enjoyable. Lots of tables for 1 in the restaurant with other half’s resting from mail de mer  I assume.

The display in the chocolate shop has changed and there is a nod to Haloween with one chocolate display and they are selling lovely white chocolate painted orange pumpkins filled with sweets.

Went to the pub and a lot of the beers are not on offer this time though the taps are still there, no problem finding something but less choice.

2nd grumpy old woman alert- children using the seating in the lift lobbies as slides. Climbing up onto the top and sliding down the sloped bits on the arm rests while parents stand by and watch. I wonder if they abuse their own soft furnishings at home like that.

Formal night tonight so look forward to some people watching and a good dinner.

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Personally I just drink champagne and tell myself it helps.

I didn't realise you were back on board Virtuosa so soon.  I was originally booked on this one too, but changed when it was announced she was staying in 2023, so had longer to fit in my next cruise(s).

Have a fantastic time, enjoy another few Daiquiri Zeros in between the medicinal champagne.

• Haha 1

Well formal “elegant” diner last night was pretty poor service and food wise. I’m not quite sure what went wrong but service was so slow,  wine glasses left empty and the food when it came just passable. The staff were working really hard so we didn’t say anything but we will if it’s the same tonight.

La Rochelle today and sunshine. The port provide free shuttle buses which takes about 20 minutes to town then a 10 minute walk (the walkway by the sea has cobbles and a set of steep steps at the end if you go straight, if you have a buggy or wheel chair veer of to the right after going over the bridge and turret and go through the car park to avoid the stairs). There are also toilets just opposite the shuttle drop off point if required.

We got the first shuttle in and waited just a few minutes to board and came back a couple of hours later again with no wait only to see a shuttle queue at the ship which stretched back as far as the eye could see (and I am not exaggerating). Worth getting up early to avoid queues. There were no taxis at the berth that I could see so no way to bypass the shuttle but we did see taxis in town.

We like La Rochelle and have been several times. Got some lovely things to take home as there are lots of elegant shops with something just a bit different to buy and a also lovely market. Lots of nice pavement cafes for a coffee, pain au chocolate and people watching. There is also lots to see in the beautiful gardens and ancient buildings.

I did swither bringing back some French cheese which I love but thought it might stink up the cabin fridge for the next passengers.

Back on board sitting in the sunshine, I may have a snooze as we lost an hour last night for the clocks going forward. It’s a hard life!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, showingdiva said:

Hold on to that thought .... Scotland is remarkably sunny today!   I won't admit to it being very tropical though.

True, beautiful for my two hour walk between mid-day and 2ish.

• Like 2

Did the f1 and racing bikes today, great fun ( I was rubbish but great fun). F1 is £12 but £6 with diamond discount. Motor-cross bikes £1.50.

The show last night was good, the female lead dancer is superb. Enjoyed a relaxed dinner with tasty crepe Suzette to finish. 

The ship is busy so I’m glad of the YC experience. The galleria was packed for the neon night- took one look and went back upstairs.

Another sunny day here in Getxo today. We just walked off to the local town. The funicular half way along the promenade is still there and charging winter rates of just 20 cents each way. N.b it counts as public transport so masks are required- no mask no journey. We had a nice wander round Getxo ( which like some parts of the U.K. has less shops than previously) back along the prom and then some tapas at one of the harbour bars.

The ship shuttles to central Bilboa today were chargeable. Those that passed us were also masked (though some had them at their chins).

Lunch in the glorious cool of air conditioning and now chilling in the sun. Had a brilliant saffron pasta for lunch.

The more athletic of the party are off to the Himalayan  ropes so that counts me out. Too hot for much activity.

• Like 1