Hawaiian Cruises and Ukulele...From Tiki Dave

Elua

Aloha Kakou!

Tiki Dave here, saying aloha from the beautiful Crown Princess sailing towards the islands. We are back onboard and having a great cruise filled with music, fun and aloha! I wanted to take a moment and make a quick suggestion for anyone coming onboard a Hawaiian cruise interested in taking ukulele lessons, whether it's with me or another of our wonderful Hawaiian Ambassadors. The suggestion is to bring an ukulele with you to ensure a space in the classes. We always try to have as many ukulele as possible on these cruises, but sometimes the interest outweighs the supply. So, if you already own one, or if you are thinking of getting one before the cruise...go for it!

I look forward to seeing many of you in the future. We have a full schedule ahead of us, and it's great to be back!!

Tiki Dave

www.facebook.com/tikidavemusic

Tiki Dave.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

The Crown Princess and her passengers are so fortunate to have you and Leialoha on board.  Your ukulele classes are overflowing with eager and enthusiastic students.  Hope you turn them all into Jake Shimabukuro's.  

• Like 2

Do take Dave's recommendation seriously.  And if you are even moderately tall or large, try a "concert" size ukulele.  The instruments on the ships are usually "soprano" size.  Moving to a larger size made a significant difference in my enjoyment of the instrument.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2022 at 10:46 AM, auntem said:

What is a good brand if we are buying one to bring on cruise , and what price range , for true beginner , adult male? Thanks

@Eluashould have some good answers for you, I know he covers what is a good price range to get an 'ukulele that is worth playing (an instrument, not a toy) but still affordable & the differences in the sizes. Do you have a local 'ukulele shop or club...if you were here in So Cal I could make some recommendations of places, but maybe someone could help you with a place in Texas...you can order but trying several might help you chose.

I asked my BIL who has been playing for years & has a collection of them from the beginner ones to the very fancy ones & he said $150 would get you a good beginner "uke & you could get a nice Kala for that price, but maybe Tiki Dave will be by in a bit with more recommendations, they may be on a cruise currently. 

On one of our 'ukelele cruises (yes BIL is that into the instrument) one of the instructors worked for "the Ukulele Site" (they are in Hawai'i) doing setup of 'ukes before they were shipped, so you might think about buying from an actual 'uke retailer who will do something like that for you & might even be able to talk you through the purchase rather than a big general seller?

Ukulele prices have a very wide price range.  You should decide if you want a soprano (small/regular), concert, tenor, or baritone.  A "good" one will run you between $100 - $200.  I think Jake Shimabukuro ordered a custom made curly koa ukulele from Kamaka for a price tag of over $1000.  I saw it on a tour I took of the factory.  

Here are some questions you should be asking yourself:

1.  Have you played an instrument before (string or other)?

2.  Are you serious or just curious/introduction?

3.  Do you have a good ear (also get an instrument tuner)?

4.  Do you have coordination?  (changing chords can be challenging).

Do you have arthritic fingers?  Do you have short fingernails?

5.  Do you have musicality?

6.  Will you continue after the cruise?  Are there support play groups in your area?

7.  Wood will effect the quality of sound

Kala and Kamaka ukuleles are brands that I have heard of.

Tiki Dave will have recommended stores once you are there.  But he is also suggesting that you bring your own if you really want to be guaranteed a spot in the class.  I believe they have Kala ukuleles on board to loan out (check in and out daily).

If you want to get in the mood before the cruise, check out Tiki Dave's YouTube Videos (search).

https://www.youtube.com/c/TikiDave/videos

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Ukulele prices have a very wide price range.  You should decide if you want a soprano (small/regular), concert, tenor, or baritone.  A "good" one will run you between $100 - $200.  I think Jake Shimabukuro ordered a custom made curly koa ukulele from Kamaka for a price tag of over $1000.  I saw it on a tour I took of the factory.  

Here are some questions you should be asking yourself:

1.  Have you played an instrument before (string or other)?

2.  Are you serious or just curious/introduction?

3.  Do you have a good ear (also get an instrument tuner)?

4.  Do you have coordination?  (changing chords can be challenging).

Do you have arthritic fingers?  Do you have short fingernails?

5.  Do you have musicality?

6.  Will you continue after the cruise?  Are there support play groups in your area?

7.  Wood will effect the quality of sound

Kala and Kamaka ukuleles are brands that I have heard of.

Tiki Dave will have recommended stores once you are there.  But he is also suggesting that you bring your own if you really want to be guaranteed a spot in the class.  I believe they have Kala ukuleles on board to loan out (check in and out daily).

If you want to get in the mood before the cruise, check out Tiki Dave's YouTube Videos (search).

https://www.youtube.com/c/TikiDave/videos

on the two cruises I took they checked them out for the whole cruise so people could practice between classes (I borrowed one from my BIL) 

Thanks everyone. This is my idea for my DH, he says will make an effort to go to the first session and get one on board…hope he gets one, he played guitar in HS , I think he would enjoy it …he might be humoring me 😊❤️, but he will try. 

3 minutes ago, auntem said:

Thanks everyone. This is my idea for my DH, he says will make an effort to go to the first session and get one on board…hope he gets one, he played guitar in HS , I think he would enjoy it …he might be humoring me 😊❤️, but he will try. 

Thanks for chiming back in.  I would suggest "getting" in line early (at least 30 - 15 minutes early).  It will be a zoo, but well worth the effort.  If he played the guitar, then he is steps ahead of most.  You will see the die hards with their fancy ukuleles.  

Tiki Dave is an excellent instructor.  You should find a corner of the room to just sit and listen to his presentations.  Fun, enjoyable, and a great way to spend thd morning.  Be sure "you" go to the hula lessons too.  Great exercise.  

• Like 1

If you want one of the ukuleles handed out by Dave on the first day of the lessons, get there NO LATER than 30 minutes ahead of time but 45 minutes might be even better. Sounds like he is short on instruments and Dave's classes are very popular, deservedly so.

If you think you might be interested in continuing to play after the cruise, getting your own instrument is the way to go. Be sure to pick up a tuner and bag (many come with a light duty bag but if you are going on an airplane, be sure the bag has at least a little padding since the overhead bins can be hard on your uke).

Kala and Islander both have starter ukuleles priced between $100-$150. Our first ukuleles were Islanders. I can attest that they are good instruments. We learned to play from Dave many years ago on a Princess cruise and have been playing ever since. Dave is a phenomenal instructor! We have cruised with him several times. You don't want to miss his class (or the hula class his wife, Leialoha, teaches). 

If you have anything other than really tiny fingers, you probably don't want to get a soprano (small) ukulele. You will want a concert (medium sized) or tenor (the biggest of the "regular" ukes). Avoid the larger baritone ukulele for right now--they are tuned differently from the ukes you will be learning in class.

Good luck and happy playing. If you see Dave, tell him Gerald and Linda send their best.

Linda

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@L11Listen to her words of wisdom.  There is no greater testament to Tiki Dave than someone who has taken his classes.  He and Leialoha are the consummate Hawaiian Cultural Ambassadors.

They really are...DH will do great in 'ukulele classes & even someone with basically NO musical talent will be able to learn to play (I am proof of this) Tiki Dave is able to teach in a way that an absolute novice can learn, but a really experienced player will also enjoy the classes...Leialoha is also a great instructor & you can even join the hula classes from your chair (my knees only make it through the first day of hula class)...she also does craft classes (there is a fee for these, but not the 'ukulele or hula) which are tons of fun...AND don't miss his port talks, lots of great info 

L11 gives us a good crash course above, especially in regard to sizes. I know there are adults who play and like sopranos (small ukes) and concerts (medium), but I can’t properly place my fingers on frets so small. So I play tenors.

A lot of the cheap stuff on Amazon is just junk. You might find yourself spending as much to have it “set up,” (make it playable) as you paid to buy it.

For something like $129, you can get a Kala KA-T, a laminated tenor that could keep you happy for quite a while. I must admit I’ve bought several since my KA-T, but it’s still a useful instrument.

If you want advice on brands, sizes and more, check out the forums at ukulele underground.com

Meantime, I’d love to cruise with the Elia crew some day.

Jim

• Like 1

Aloha Kakou!

Sorry to be out of touch for so long on this topic, but we have been running around the islands and playing music for the last few days, and I haven't checked in.

There's really not much I can add, you all have chimed in with some great advice and really spot on information. If it's your first interment, I really don't suggest going out and spending much more than $125-175. That will get you a decent starter instrument that will stay in tune, (once the strings stretch out), play comfortably and sound acceptable. I saw someone mention Kala, and those are very good beginner and intermediate instruments...although they do make higher end ones as well.

Someone mentioned The Ukulele Site here and although I am not allowed to "publicize" or advertise for certain companies here on CC, I would concur, and if you are going to be shopping online, you can contact me at tikidavemusic@gmail.com and I can further information about them, and give you a contact there that will provide a discount that was set up for my students and online followers.

Please do come early if you would like an instrument, but truthfully, I don't know if you need to come in 45 minutes early. On the first day, I am usually there about fifteen minutes early to setup, and I think you would be fine. BUT, as I did before, I heartily suggest trying to bring one with you. 

I love all the interest in the classes, and it's really amazing to me to see the growth in participation and enthusiasm over the years. When we first started the program back in 2008, we might have had 30-40 students each cruise. These days, we can usually count on anywhere from 60-80 students each cruise. The growth of ukulele in general has been incredible, and I'ms o glad that I get to share it with as many people as I can.

TD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

"Ukulele prices have a very wide price range.  You should decide if you want a soprano (small/regular), concert, tenor, or baritone."

Novice learners should note that in addition to being much larger a baritone ukulele is tuned in a different key than the other three sizes. Tiki Dave's teaching sessions are charted out for traditional tuning. I would not recommend a baritone ukulele for a beginner. 

Edited by skynight

3 hours ago, nedavac said:

Are you still on Princess Cruise ships?  If not I am sorry for me, if yes... where can I find your schedule for 2024.  Loved cruising with you many times pre Covid!

This was posted on another thread.  Goes a little into 2024

Screenshot_20230909-104152__01.jpg

• Thanks 1