AT&T Cruise Package

RollTide73

We have AT&T…….we always buy the ship’s WiFi package.  

We put our phones on Airplane Mode (very important!)…….turn on WiFi calling and then we can use our phones to make calls and text just as we were at home.

This would only apply while you were on the ship and on their wifi…..

Edited by GTO-Girl

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

We have AT&T…….we always buy the ship’s WiFi package.  

We put our phones on Airplane Mode (very important!)…….turn on WiFi calling and then we can use our phones to make calls and text just as we were at home.

This would only apply while you were on the ship and on their wifi…..

Curious.  Why would a phone not work in wifi calling mode when off the ship?  We use wifi mode all the time.  All we need is wifi.  However, we don't use ATT.  Maybe that is the difference. 

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Curious.  Why would a phone not work in wifi calling mode when off the ship?  We use wifi mode all the time.  All we need is wifi.  However, we don't use ATT.  Maybe that is the difference. 

I think you are misreading the intention of what they said. . They  mean they would not able to use the ships wifi package off the ship. Of course they could do wifi calling if they found local wifi off the ship. 

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I think you are misreading the intention of what they said. . They  mean they would not able to use the ships wifi package off the ship. Of course they could do wifi calling if they found local wifi off the ship. 

Oops.  Yep, I completely misread.  Thanks. 

I've used ATT International Day Pass.  Cost is $10.00 for 24 hours from the time you take your phone out of airplane mode once in port.  No roaming charges nor text or talk charges provided you have an unlimited talk/text package. Uses local cell towers.  I used it recently in Bonaire and Aruba to call the taxi driver with no additional charges. My daughter is currently using it in London with no charges for local calls or calls back to the states.

This does not apply to ship board at sea as you use the ships cell tower.

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

sorry…..yes you do need to be connected to some kind of WiFi.  

What I wanted to emphasize was if you leave the ship’s WiFi it won’t work once you leave the ship.   Some people think it will work everywhere and that is not the case…

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Curious.  Why would a phone not work in wifi calling mode when off the ship?  We use wifi mode all the time.  All we need is wifi.  However, we don't use ATT.  Maybe that is the differenc

• Thanks 1

We also have AT&T and a few years ago we usually did purchase the AT&T cruise pkg. but not any longer. We also put our iPhones on airplane mode and then WiFi calling. This works great with the Voom Surf/Stream we purchase for onboard. If we need to at certain ports we use the AT&T day pass. We've cruised quite a bit lately and this has worked well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lax19 said:

I've used ATT International Day Pass.  Cost is $10.00 for 24 hours from the time you take your phone out of airplane mode once in port.  No roaming charges nor text or talk charges provided you have an unlimited talk/text package. Uses local cell towers.  I used it recently in Bonaire and Aruba to call the taxi driver with no additional charges. My daughter is currently using it in London with no charges for local calls or calls back to the states.

This does not apply to ship board at sea as you use the ships cell tower.

And the OP isn't asking about the international travel day pass.

OP, I have never used this package, but according to ATT's website, you understand the cruise package correctly. 

8 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

And the OP isn't asking about the international travel day pass.

OP, I have never used this package, but according to ATT's website, you understand the cruise package correctly. 

The AT&T package would work for people who need to make a few phone calls and texts onboard the ship. Like say check on the dog sitter. The included data won't last very long. OP mentioed the Bahamas. The cruise package won't cover that.

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The AT&T package would work for people who need to make a few phone calls and texts onboard the ship. Like say check on the dog sitter. The included data won't last very long. OP mentioed the Bahamas. The cruise package won't cover that.

I haven't used it, but it says it works includes some caribbean islands for no additional charge. Bahamas is included on that list. I agree with you about the data, that won't last long. 

cruise package.jpg

6 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Bahamas is included on that list. I

That is interesting. I stand corrected. I didn't know they had added many islands. Since text is unlimited the AT&T package could work for some people. 

Edited by Charles4515