travel anxiety

flosit

1 minute ago, PG_traveller said:

That seems like common-sense, and I hope that is what happens here going forward. Unfortunately mask wearing and other covid protocols have become politicized so probably not going to happen. It is pretty rare to see anyone wearing a mask now where I live.

Where is that ? 

Thanks for all the responses. 

Seems to be most people are still going ahead with risks of covid in the back of their minds. 

We have a cruise booked dec/ 22 to Mediterranean , first trip in almost 3 years!

I am going to take all the advise given here and hope for the best!

Safe travels to everyone....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, flosit said:

Seems to be most people are still going ahead with risks of covid in the back of their minds. 

We have a cruise booked dec/ 22 to Mediterranean , first trip in almost 3 years!

Which cruise line is sailing in the Med in late December? 🤔

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

4 hours ago, flosit said:

Plan your actions.  Have sanitizer for the seats on the plane.  Have sanitizer for your hands.  Have sufficient masks to change a mask once or twice each day.  Do what you feel you must and don't be swayed by anyone's comments or opinions.  Do this on your terms.  This is how YOU feel and not anyone else.  I wish you the best time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2022 at 3:44 PM, neeuqdrazil said:

I'm in a weird position where I've realised that, while covid isn't over, it's never going to be truly over-over, and I'm not willing to live sequestered as I have the past two years. I'm flying to London in a week and a half, spending a week there, then boarding the QM2 for a westbound transatlantic back to this side of the pond. 

I will be masking in airports, on the plane, and on public transit, as well as indoors, and hopefully minimizing the number of restaurants I eat in during the week in London, because I *really* don't want to test positive the day before boarding (Cunard is still requiring observed covid tests for some voyages, including the one that I'm taking.) 

I've gotten my bivalent booster (5th jab), and got my flu shot at the same time (one of my colleagues came back from London last week and said that the flu is absolutely RAGING there right now,) so I'm about as well protected as I can be.  

So there is definitely some anxiety - what will happen if I test positive (I do have cancellation insurance), am I going to get nasty looks for wearing a mask, am I going to forget anything (so, the usual pre-travel anxiety,) but mostly I'm just excited to get away. 

We just returned from 3 weeks in the UK. I had covid in July so too soon for the bivalent. DH got his shot 2 weeks before we left. Covid was in our home 4 times this year and he never got it!. Well we both caught it in London even though we masked on transportation and indoors. Assume it was the newest version which is the most contagious. Thankfully we had cancelled out TA cruise as we would have tested positive!  Our flight home was the Dreamliner plane holding 350 passengers and There may have been 10 masked people onboard. It was rare to see a mask in London.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I'm definitely noticing that I'm often the only one masking in most of the places I'm going, but that's not going to stop me. 

We have a cruise in December - we leave home on December 26th.  We are in a hotel the night before the cruise, with all that are on the ship.  The next day we all charter fly to the ship port.  We understand now that we will all be PCR tested at the hotel, and if we test positive we don't board the aircraft the next day.

We are masking when in close quarters, but we will actually isolate ourselves for three weeks before our flights - no no family or friends for Christmas - but we have the flights to contend with, and that is 14 hours of flying and layovers.

It is hard to know what to do, because in April I went to South Africa for work and I masked with N95's the entire trip and brought back Covid.  AND, I had the first booster 2.5 weeks before leaving for SA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I'm definitely noticing that I'm often the only one masking in most of the places I'm going, but that's not going to stop me. 

Same for us! We cruise in less than 3 weeks and are hoping that our October covid will keep us safe for the 2 weeks onboard! We will mask on the plane in case of other viruses!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Just wanted to say thanks, so nice to read a civil discussion!  

Honestly, I'm always more comfortable with many "Canadian", more balanced discussions about Covid.  It's alarming to read some viewpoints on other threads from other parts of the world.  When I read people say they've had Covid and think it would be best to get Covid again right before their cruise (to supposedly provide protection, I assume?), I'm shocked.  We are following the ever expanding daily news about long Covid, especially after several infections, and that is a huge reason we aren't comfortable with exposing ourselves during travel, big indoor events, etc.

• Like 3