HollandAmerica vs MSC America

LuckyStar

I've never sailed on either but would love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly.  We have two choices of 10-11 day Caribbean cruises and are torn which line to choose.  On the face, the itineraries are both good and the prices are comparable.  I have mostly sailed Carnival but also RC and NCL. We are not crazy party people (early 60s)  but both HAL and MSC seem very upscale. Can you tell me your opinions?  Thank you in advance.

• Haha 1

I am 60 and have cruised twice with both HAL & MSC. I prefer MSC for better entertainment, service and a generally younger mix of passengers. I preferred the food on MSC, but many still complain about the food options. Holland America offers a more traditional cruise experience, similar to cruising in the past.

On a 10 night or longer cruise on MSC, you are likely to find many International passengers. My recent 19 day back-to-back on Divina was 2 completely different experiences. The first 7 days roundtrip from Port Canaveral had probably 80% US passengers and the final 12 days from Port Canaveral re-positioning to Miami was probably 75% International passengers. I found meeting so many from other countries interesting, but some found it irritating when they were making some announcements in multiple languages.

Edited by JT1962

Hi!... Let me to have a break here!... You've made my day, sir!...

HAL is a cruise line... World America is a cruise ship being built right now and set to sail by 2025!... The difference is so big that starts here!... 🙂

So now: If really available, prices for World America are that comparable to prices on HAL? Strange, but I wouldn't say anything about that. RCI's Icon of the seas suites are being billed at above Regent/Silversea/Seabourne and perhaps Hapag-Lloyd pricing lately, that means the most expensive suites at sea, and regular cabins at Viking/Oceania ones, and it seems there are people wishing to go on there!...

Really: MSC is mainstream line. Do you like the RCI's Oasis class? The World class will be an Oasis size and design similar ship with an Italian twist, and at beginning sailing with all the bugs to work around. HAL is a very well stablished Premium to Mid-Luxury company with ships ranging on the 1500-3000 guests per ship. TBHH; if you just want a relaxed holiday time for a couple, and prices are that comparable, I'd just to go with HAL by the day, even if being me a huge MSC's cheerleader! I can't understand the current "luxury like" pricing schemes being applied to the megaships!... So; there is only an option: Let the hype to go on and the regular MSC discounted fare to eventually return and sail elsewhere during that period, or sailing an MSC's older ship at old MSC's pricing, if available. If Premium service is what you envision; then go HAL. Honestly!...

45 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

HAL is a cruise line... World America is a cruise ship being built right now and set to sail by 2025!... The difference is so big that starts here!... 🙂

The OP didn’t mention the cruise ship MSC World America in the thread. He is probably referring to MSC Cruises USA (MSC America -> USA) while comparing cruise lines.

I along with many here on the MSC forum are HAL veterans. We are 4-Star, but some here are higher. We started sailing HAL in our late 50’s, cruises in Caribbean, Alaska, and Mediterranean. We started sailing MSC about 5 years ago, now 70. We have 11 MSC cruises under our belt so far, Caribbean and Northern Europe.

We almost always sailed Neptune Suites on HAL, with a couple of upgrades to the Pinnacle Suites. We always sprung for a cabana in the Retreat. So you can say we did generally sail on the higher end of HAL’s product.

On MSC we always sail in the Yacht Club, for the service, amenities and dollar value. 

Comparing the two right now for us is a no brainer. With anything close to a comparable itinerary it’s MSC all the way. We just completed the 12-night Southern Caribbean on MSC Divina, an itinerary comparable to HAL’s partial Canal; which we have sailed. The Yacht Club experience on MSC won hands down. 

HAL has just not kept up with the cruise line trends in offering a truly higher end sailing experience, like the Yacht Club on MSC. That said, I am happy that my 4-Star Mariner status never expires, because there are a couple of itineraries that I still want to sail on HAL.

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

1 hour ago, SirWolf said:

The OP didn’t mention the cruise ship MSC World America in the thread. He is probably referring to MSC Cruises USA (MSC America -> USA) while comparing cruise lines.

Maybe; and that confused me on these World Europa excitement days, we're currently. Either way; MSC Cruises USA is just their office's US branch to deal with the US market, not a cruise line by itself. If one asks me if it was any good for MSC to have a whole US division with its ships to tailor the US market; I may answer a yes, granted they so wished that business scenario. Either way; we have MSC as a mainline cruise lines. Thanks to the attention.

56 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

I along with many here on the MSC forum are HAL veterans. We are 4-Star, but some here are higher. We started sailing HAL in our late 50’s, cruises in Caribbean, Alaska, and Mediterranean. We started sailing MSC about 5 years ago, now 70. We have 11 MSC cruises under our belt so far, Caribbean and Northern Europe.

We almost always sailed Neptune Suites on HAL, with a couple of upgrades to the Pinnacle Suites. We always sprung for a cabana in the Retreat. So you can say we did generally sail on the higher end of HAL’s product.

On MSC we always sail in the Yacht Club, for the service, amenities and dollar value. 

Comparing the two right now for us is a no brainer. With anything close to a comparable itinerary it’s MSC all the way. We just completed the 12-night Southern Caribbean on MSC Divina, an itinerary comparable to HAL’s partial Canal; which we have sailed. The Yacht Club experience on MSC won hands down. 

HAL has just not kept up with the cruise line trends in offering a truly higher end sailing experience, like the Yacht Club on MSC. That said, I am happy that my 4-Star Mariner status never expires, because there are a couple of itineraries that I still want to sail on HAL.

Dennis

Well: Quite interesting. Price wise the YC is not the same it was a few years ago, touching now the other mainstream lines price tag, and even higher on occasions. Some corner's cut went away on lately as well. Me thinks the YC as a small enclave on an already big ship. An up-pemium service surrounded by such a baseline mainstream ambiance, while HAL would be up-premium elsewhere! Never gone on HAL really, even though there's a TA that arranges group sailings here where I live which from time to time would enter an Alaska itinerary that would be nice for me to do. Once MSC doesn't even consider Alaska as a destination for the times being, I'd go with that HAL sailing on the 2024-26 time frame if possible. TBHH; I'm on such a time on my life, I don't mind to pay a little more for such a classier cruise experience. Curious to see some classier service goers now enjoying such a different experience! If it is not much, can you tell me what really is HAL not doing right, please?

Have a nice day!...

10 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

…there's a TA that arranges group sailings here where I live which from time to time would enter an Alaska itinerary that would be nice for me to do. Once MSC doesn't even consider Alaska as a destination for the times being, I'd go with that HAL sailing on the 2024-26 time frame if possible. 

You might want to check the Alaska options with MSC’s new Explora Journeys cruise line.

https://explorajourneys.com/us/en/destinations-globe/alaska

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

You might want to check the Alaska options with MSC’s new Explora Journeys cruise line.

https://explorajourneys.com/us/en/destinations-globe/alaska

Never thought on that either. Perhaps a bit out of my budget for now, but nonetheless impressive. I'll take a better look later, many thanks!...

9 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

Dennis

How are you and Joann doing?  We will be on MSC next for Italy summer on Divina June 9 2023 and the World Europa June 18 2023 if you have no plans yet. First visit to Europe and have to still figure out way from Civitavecchia to Genoa to board World Europa.

If not, have fun cruising and see you two on board at a later date. Love the Seashore as the YC pool deck has made some great improvements with pool and hot tubs.  Counting our months till my son graduates and wife and I can cruise more often.

On 10/27/2022 at 10:11 AM, LuckyStar said:

I've never sailed on either but would love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly.  We have two choices of 10-11 day Caribbean cruises and are torn which line to choose.  On the face, the itineraries are both good and the prices are comparable.  I have mostly sailed Carnival but also RC and NCL. We are not crazy party people (early 60s)  but both HAL and MSC seem very upscale. Can you tell me your opinions?  Thank you in advance.

I'm 57. My sister is 10 years older than me, and cruised HA last year. She said they were the youngest couple on board Heaven's Waiting Room. Your results may vary.