Staying Warm on an Alaska Cruise in April

CruiseBunny425

Greetings!

I’ll be sailing on the NCL Bliss in April. I’m so excited for the Observation Lounge, but also wanted to enjoy the Waterfront as we sail through Glacier Bay. I have sherpa lined sweatpants that I was planning on relaxing in that day. Does NCL provide blankets at all or is bringing a blanket recommended? Or stick to layers? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

When we were on the Bliss in October, the outdoor dining at La Cucina, etc. had blue blankets available...they may have also been available for the Waterfront seating during the day but I don't know.  I did buy a wool wrap at a port stop to use as a blanket. Long underwear under sweatpants worked well for a very comfy afternoon of scenic cruising on the waterfront. 

Edited by VUCruiser

We are doing April on the Carnival Miracle, we know the weather is more of a risk than the middle of summer, but one of the things we're excited about is being the only ship in each of our five Alaskan ports.  The last time we were in Juneau it was a zoo. 

• Like 4

On 2/26/2023 at 7:22 AM, CRUZBUDS said:

We are doing April on the Carnival Miracle, we know the weather is more of a risk than the middle of summer, but one of the things we're excited about is being the only ship in each of our five Alaskan ports.  The last time we were in Juneau it was a zoo. 

@CRUZBUDSWe will be taking the Carnival Spirit to Alaska for their 14-day itinerary in April of 2024.  We have never cruised with Carnival but the unique itinerary peaked our interest.  Have sailed to Alaska many times before and we are always looking for a new mix of ports so we decided to book it.  Do you have excursions showing for your Carnival Miracle cruise (I am assuming you are going during 2023?).  Just curious if anything was available to book during an April time frame. 

• Like 1

Italy 52 - yes all of the Carnival shore excursions for this April are on the Carnival site.  I'm not sure if you can see them if you aren't booked on that cruise.

They just released a boat tour from the Tracey Arm day -- I think they added it, because I thought I had seen it as "Sold out" six months ago  

2 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

I booked April because I did August last time and we wore tank tops in Juneau. I wanted it to be cold. 

I see your point.  I experienced the same very warm conditions on a previous AK trip compounded by the problem that the B&Bs that we stayed in did not have air conditioning because you just don't need AC in AK - until you do.

I see that you are from Florida where you don't have cold.  One year I spent a week in Fairbank and points north to do aurora photography.  If you really want cold try one of those trips.  I took every bit of cold weather clothing that I owned and bought more and I also went through a bunch of those chemical hand warmers.  Try -20 w/o the wind chill.  LOL!!!

Great photos though.

DON

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRUZBUDS said:

Italy 52 - yes all of the Carnival shore excursions for this April are on the Carnival site.  I'm not sure if you can see them if you aren't booked on that cruise.

They just released a boat tour from the Tracey Arm day -- I think they added it, because I thought I had seen it as "Sold out" six months ago  

@CRUZBUDS, thank you for getting back to me. Unfortunately, since our cruise is not until April of 2024, there are no excursions showing for our cruise as of today's checking. 

It is promising to know that Tracy Arm could possibly be an option for us.  Are you showing any whale watching tours for Juneau? 

I tried to find your itinerary on line to see if we would have any ports in common so I could ask specific questions and I could not locate your cruise.  Are you sailing 2023 or 2024?  Are you sailing out of SF or Long Beach?

Thanks again for answering my questions, I truly do appreciate it.