Virtually impossible to find a new PCC

kevingastreich

The PCC we had for years left during Covid.  Their replacement has already quit so I need a new one. (I have an outside TA but this post concerns my quest for a HAL PCC).  Spent 20 minutes on hold only to finally be told that my PCC was "John Doe" (The person who left pre-covid). "Oh, you need a new PCC"? I was asked.  Sheesh!  Ten more minutes on hold and a new person got on the phone and asked very nicely "How may I help you?" After ANOTHER 10 minute rigamarole answering a multitude of security questions I ultimately attained the Holy Grail-I got a name and number! My question is this-When did it become so hard to book a cruise with HAL?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Curious here as well.

why are you in need of a PCC.   I book directly with HAL as well as other lines. I call 1 800 number and deal with the one who answers the phone.  I have always had great service.   On two occasions I have received emails from a PCC, advising me they were assigned to me.   When i spoke with them they only work days and Monday to Friday.  I asked what if I need my booking serviced at night or on weekend.  Response was to contact 1 800 and anyone would be happy to help me. I do all my own research and price shopping online anyway, then a quick call to do the booking.   

I always do my own research and pricing. I then book with the cruise line of choice to make sure I get everything that I want and booked.  I then call my TA and he transfers the booking and either discounts my cruise, or; gives me OBC.  My TA loves that because it reduces his time booking and I have no one to blame but myself if something is left off.   I am retired so I have the time to research.

I have found that if I put a cruise on hold on HAL's site I will get an email and often a phone call from a PCC who I can use as my contact if I so desire.  The holds just expire so no obligation to book, etc.  Also if you put yourself on the list via the website to receive notices of special sales and promotions you will also get email(s) from "your" PCC.  Hope this helps.

On 10/28/2022 at 8:51 PM, retird said:

Curious here as well.

why are you in need of a PCC.  

I'd like to talk to a knowledgeable human about options.  We're contemplating a World Cruise.  I would like a personal contact at HAL if that is still possible? So far, no contact.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

I'd like to talk to a knowledgeable human about options.  We're contemplating a World Cruise.  I would like a personal contact at HAL if that is still possible? So far, no contact.

If you are thinking about a world cruise you might be better served by looking at the world cruise threads on Cruise Critic and Facebook. Both the '23 and '24 World Cruises have a long Roll Call on CC, and a group on FB. Any particular PCC might have experience with a World Cruise, but considering the number of new hires quite possibly not. Likewise with any particular Travel Agent, although from reading the '23 WC Roll Call it is quite possible that there are a couple of Travel Agents that specialize in World Cruises.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, riffatsea said:

Just curious

New to Holland so wonder why you need a PCC  if you have your own TA?

What will they do for you that's better?

We have a TA that we love so in wonderment about this??

I don’t understand the reason for a pcc if you have a ta.  Otherwise generally speaking the pcc should be easier to reach especially by email.  I’m very busy at work and people love to book meetings galore so it’s hard for me to sit on hold for hours, nor do I want to.

We had a really good PCC that was very knowledgeable of HAL cruises as both him and his wife had originally been cruise directors. They had sailed the majority of cruises. But he left at the beginning of COVID.

His replacement was even better! He had been with 15 years and was very business oriented. When booking cruises with he would search for the best bang for the buck and even found Mariner fares for us which were cheaper than the non-refundables. He also kept track of our booking in case of fare drops and called us about them. But - he left earlier this year too!

The replacement we chose was recommended by someone on FB. No response after three tries in one month and a call to the supervisor for exchanging to a man who seems to be on the ball so far. 

A good PCC will have inside knowledge of availability on HAL to work to your advantage and  not just trying to make a sale as an agency agent might do.

23 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don’t understand the reason for a pcc if you have a ta.  Otherwise generally speaking the pcc should be easier to reach especially by email.  I’m very busy at work and people love to book meetings galore so it’s hard for me to sit on hold for hours, nor do I want to.

Actually, I'm trying to compare fares/perks etc between our "new" PCC and our TA who just happens to be our OLD HAL PCC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 8:52 AM, kevingastreich said:

Actually, I'm trying to compare fares/perks etc between our "new" PCC and our TA who just happens to be our OLD HAL PCC.

Well, I did manage to get a new PCC and we already like her.  My T/A (who happens to be our old PCC) said straight out that he can only match HAL's price, not beat it.  He also neglected to offer any OBC or even a welcome bottle of champagne ON A WORLD CRUISE!  He does have extensive experience and said that is the reason to choose him over any others. I read on CC all the time about T/A's being so much better than HAL PCC's because of the extra perks etc.  I guess I need to keep searching... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

Well, I did manage to get a new PCC and we already like her.  My T/A (who happens to be our old PCC) said straight out that he can only match HAL's price, not beat it.  He also neglected to offer any OBC or even a welcome bottle of champagne ON A WORLD CRUISE!  He does have extensive experience and said that is the reason to choose him over any others. I read on CC all the time about T/A's being so much better than HAL PCC's because of the extra perks etc.  I guess I need to keep searching... 

I suggest you read some of the blogs from previous World Cruises that aren't on Cruise Critic. Many times they will mention specific travel agents that you may want to look into.

• Like 1

Compared to years ago, I find our PCC has less patience, tends to forget what he/she last told me and is more likely to encourage me to find information from other sources. To quote my namesake, Bilbo Baggins, today's PCCs seem "stretched...like butter scraped over too much bread." I regret not seeking a good TA for my current booking. And I hope HAL can recover a better level of customer service,