Best Norwegian city to spend May 17, Constitution Day - Norway, after Viking Homelands?

SempreMare

I just realized my May 2023 Viking Homelands cruise on the Viking Jupiter concludes in Bergen on May 15,  an ideal time to stay in Norway for Constitution Day* ,  May 17.

Has anyone here ever experienced Norway on Constitution Day? 

Any thoughts on what would be the best Norwegian City for taking in Constitution Day festivities? 

* "The Constitution of Norway was signed at Eidsvoll on 17 May 1814. The constitution declared Norway to be an independent kingdom in an attempt to avoid being ceded to Sweden after Denmark–Norway's devastating defeat in the Napoleonic Wars."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Day_(Norway)

6 hours ago, SempreMare said:

I just realized my May 2023 Viking Homelands cruise on the Viking Jupiter concludes in Bergen on May 15,  an ideal time to stay in Norway for Constitution Day* ,  May 17.

Has anyone here ever experienced Norway on Constitution Day? 

Any thoughts on what would be the best Norwegian City for taking in Constitution Day festivities? 

* "The Constitution of Norway was signed at Eidsvoll on 17 May 1814. The constitution declared Norway to be an independent kingdom in an attempt to avoid being ceded to Sweden after Denmark–Norway's devastating defeat in the Napoleonic Wars."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Day_(Norway)

Following this with interest as we're on the same Viking Homelands sailing and had also noted the overlap with Constitution Day.  (There is a Roll Call for our sailing if you want to join it, @SempreMare.)

We are doing the extension with Viking on the scenic train back to Oslo.  (Booked and paid for before Viking changed the itinerary to include an overnight in Oslo.  We probably would have still booked the train, but likely on our own instead of through Viking.)

I found this online (Wikipedia, I think--same as your information):  "In Oslo, children from all the city's schools gather to parade past the Royal Palace, where they and the Royal Family exchange waves and greetings.  All over Norway, memorials to the fallen at wars and to other notable national people are honored with speeches and wreaths early in the morning.  In many places (like in Oslo) at noon, a salute is fired.  The anniversary celebrations in this Nordic nation place a focus on schoolchildren in particular, who parade and make stops at war memorials and senior homes.  In Oslo, more than 100,000 people pass by the palace, exchanging waves with the royal family. Costumes and flags are in abundance, along with marching bands and kid-friendly treats such as ice cream and soda."

Having grown up in southwestern Wisconsin, where there are many people with Norwegian roots, I've long known about Syttende Mai (the Norwegian for 17 May).  Since 1969, the city of Westby (which means "west town" in Norwegian), WI has celebrated a four-day festival featuring authentic Norwegian foods, crafts, a frokost (breakfast featuring Norwegian delicacies), and Norwegian church service.

Looking forward to a great trip--our first with Viking Ocean--next year!

• Thanks 1

We’ll be on a Viking cruise visiting Stavanger on 17 March next year. It will be lovely to see the celebrations and we may go and pay our own respects in Stavangers Eiganer cemetery, which has Norwegian war graves and Commonwealth war graves from the ill-fated November 1942  ‘Freshman’ operation to land glider borne British forces to attack the famous Telemark heavy water production site. 

3 hours ago, claranda said:

It will be lovely to see the celebrations and we may go and pay our own respects in Stavangers Eiganer cemetery, which has Norwegian war graves and Commonwealth war graves from the ill-fated November 1942  ‘Freshman’ operation to land glider borne British forces to attack the famous Telemark heavy water production site. 

After British Isles Explorer concluded, in Oslo I visited the Norway Resistance Museum in the Akershus Fortress based on others' recommendations here and the morning guide's as well.  Totally enjoyed it.  Both the Museum itself but also the Fortress grounds around the museum.

A couple from England in the museum recommended I watch

The Heroes of Telemark, the Kirk Douglas movie about the operation you describe.  Had forgotten about that till reading what you wrote above!  Just purchased it for my next plane ride.

After the Resistance Museum closed at 4:30pm, I took a quick walk to the historic Engebret Cafe where I had a delicious early dinner.  Followed by a walk through the pedestrian shopping streets and back to the hotel.    A perfect day...

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2022 at 4:51 PM, SempreMare said:

After British Isles Explorer concluded, in Oslo I visited the Norway Resistance Museum in the Akershus Fortress based on others' recommendations here and the morning guide's as well.  Totally enjoyed it.  Both the Museum itself but also the Fortress grounds around the museum.

A couple from England in the museum recommended I watch

The Heroes of Telemark, the Kirk Douglas movie about the operation you describe.  Had forgotten about that till reading what you wrote above!  Just purchased it for my next plane ride.

After the Resistance Museum closed at 4:30pm, I took a quick walk to the historic Engebret Cafe where I had a delicious early dinner.  Followed by a walk through the pedestrian shopping streets and back to the hotel.    A perfect day...

Engebret Cafe ----- highly recommended!

• Like 1

After living in Stavanger for 12yrs, I don’t believe that there is a right or wrong answer. Once the Russ students get loaded it can get pretty chaotic.

My wife’s BD is 5/17 so we had a couple of reasons to celibate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2022 at 1:28 PM, claranda said:

We’ll be on a Viking cruise visiting Stavanger on 17 March next year. It will be lovely to see the celebrations and we may go and pay our own respects in Stavangers Eiganer cemetery, which has Norwegian war graves and Commonwealth war graves from the ill-fated November 1942  ‘Freshman’ operation to land glider borne British forces to attack the famous Telemark heavy water production site. 

We are on the same cruise! 

• Like 1

Hi tybeelucy2, I think it’s a pretty packed ship! We’ve booked provisionally on one of the Viking walkabouts of Stavanger and will take it from there. It should b a lovely day - as long as it’s not raining!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, claranda said:

Hi tybeelucy2, I think it’s a pretty packed ship! We’ve booked provisionally on one of the Viking walkabouts of Stavanger and will take it from there. It should b a lovely day - as long as it’s not raining!

Yes, same here. We booked the included tour and we'll see what happens after that! 

Aha!  I was confused how you were both able to book excursions for a cruise next year

>> We’ll be on a Viking cruise visiting Stavanger on 17 [ May ]  next year.

Now I realize @claranda that you wrote that last year!     So you cruise very soon!  

Which itinerary has you in Stavanger on May 17?