Celebrity Cruisers considering the Rotterdam Caribbean

bandp407

We are seasoned cruisers who primarily have sailed with Celebrity. Pre Covid, DH and I sailed on the Eurodam, NA, & NS. We are considering the Rotterdam 9 nights for November 2023. We experienced the fine HAL service & food  in the past and are optimistic it has continued. 

We are in our mid and late seventies and enjoy dancing and music - in the lounges and at the pool deck. We are very familiar with BB King and have always enjoyed their groups. Can anyone comment on how many times they play each evening? We are not huge fans of the piano bars or classical. Is there any pre dinner music in any of the lounges? What is the vibe typically like outside of the BB King? Celebrity’s music and entertainment has been excellent our last few cruises with them.

We also are considering a pass for the Greenhouse Thermal Suite. I was quoted $355 plus 18% for a 9 night pass. They said they will not sell a 7 night. We would like to wait till onboard and use some onboard credit. Any comments? 

we will be taking the have it all. Can we upgrade onboard to the Elite beverage if we prefer different wines? What is the cost?

Any comments pros or cons would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks !

1 hour ago, bandp407 said:

we will be taking the have it all. Can we upgrade onboard to the Elite beverage if we prefer different wines? What is the cost?

I have heard (read) quite recently that this was accomplished by seeing a bartender (not server) BEFORE you have used your included Signature package for ANYTHING (so don't be accepting the Sailaway drinks until you've done it). I believe the cost was $10 plus 18% ($11.80) PER DAY (per person, both must upgrade). But in light of the fact that you pay full price plus 18% for any beverage over the $11 limit of the SBP, that cost amounts to less that one "better" glass of wine pppd!

10 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I have heard (read) quite recently that this was accomplished by seeing a bartender (not server) BEFORE you have used your included Signature package for ANYTHING (so don't be accepting the Sailaway drinks until you've done it). I believe the cost was $10 plus 18% ($11.80) PER DAY (per person, both must upgrade). But in light of the fact that you pay full price plus 18% for any beverage over the $11 limit of the SBP, that cost amounts to less that one "better" glass of wine pppd!

crystalspin- thank you so much. This is very valuable information!

• Like 1

There will be desks around the ship advertising the Elite beverage upgrades.  Have seen them by Guest Services and the Lido pool.  Just take a wander when you first board and you will see them.  If not, ask your server.

BB King’s usually plays two sets per evening.  There is no pre-dinner music other than Lincoln Centre Stage.  Other music choices include Rolling Stone Rock Room and Billboard Onboard.

Drop by the Greenhouse Spa and they will let you know what specials they have wrt the thermal suite.  There are usually packages where you can purchase one service and have the thermal spa included for the length of the trip so that might be something to consider.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

There will be desks around the ship advertising the Elite beverage upgrades.  Have seen them by Guest Services and the Lido pool.  Just take a wander when you first board and you will see them.  If not, ask your server.

BB King’s usually plays two sets per evening.  There is no pre-dinner music other than Lincoln Centre Stage.  Other music choices include Rolling Stone Rock Room and Billboard Onboard.

Drop by the Greenhouse Spa and they will let you know what specials they have wrt the thermal suite.  There are usually packages where you can purchase one service and have the thermal spa included for the length of the trip so that might be something to consider.

Enjoy your cruise!

‘Thank you very much Miss G ! You covered it all. Unfortunately the music offerings are somewhat limited. 

I haven't been on the Rotterdam yet, but sailed this summer on the N. Statendam and there was pre-dinner music in the Ocean Bar almost every night. I don't remember the name of the group, but people were dancing and sitting and having drinks, etc.  At least someplace to check out!

• Like 2

I double checked my When and Where's from our 2 weeks on the Rotterdam in February, and the BB King Band typically played 3 sets per night, at 8:30, 9:30 & 10:30, around 40 minutes each set. The only exceptions were on Tuesdays (their night off), and on nights when a comedian would do a show in the BB Kings Lounge; on those nights the band played only 2 sets. 

You might also enjoy the Rolling Stone Rock room band, playing classic rock. 

On the Thermal Suite pass - the last couple of cruises we've been on, the price onboard has been more expensive than the pre-cruise online price. if you do want to wait until you are on board, you might want to bring a screenshot of the pre-cruise price and see if they will still honor it onboard. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bandp407 said:

We are seasoned cruisers who primarily have sailed with Celebrity. Pre Covid, DH and I sailed on the Eurodam, NA, & NS.

I see you have cruised on the NS so you will have a very good understanding of what the Rotterdam has to offer music and dining wise - the R and the NS are both Pinnacle class and the R is almost a direct copy of the NS. The one thing that might be different since you sailed on the NS is that it now has the Rock Rolling Stone Rock Room - think a rock n roll cover band in a venue similar to BB Kings.

Edited by Nang

15 hours ago, Radbooks said:

I haven't been on the Rotterdam yet, but sailed this summer on the N. Statendam and there was pre-dinner music in the Ocean Bar almost every night. I don't remember the name of the group, but people were dancing and sitting and having drinks, etc.  At least someplace to check out!

Thank You Radbooks- perhaps they brought back music in the Ocean Bar. On our NS in 2019, they did away with it. There were never many people there but we enjoyed it & missed it when they took it away.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CafeBruno said:

I double checked my When and Where's from our 2 weeks on the Rotterdam in February, and the BB King Band typically played 3 sets per night, at 8:30, 9:30 & 10:30, around 40 minutes each set. The only exceptions were on Tuesdays (their night off), and on nights when a comedian would do a show in the BB Kings Lounge; on those nights the band played only 2 sets. 

You might also enjoy the Rolling Stone Rock room band, playing classic rock. 

On the Thermal Suite pass - the last couple of cruises we've been on, the price onboard has been more expensive than the pre-cruise online price. if you do want to wait until you are on board, you might want to bring a screenshot of the pre-cruise price and see if they will still honor it onboard. 

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you much CafeBruno! I checked my 2019 planner for the NS  & there were 3 sets most nights. If we go , I will definitely check the price of the Thermal Suite in advance of boarding. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nang said:

I see you have cruised on the NS so you will have a very good understanding of what the Rotterdam has to offer music and dining wise - the R and the NS are both Pinnacle class and the R is almost a direct copy of the NS. The one thing that might be different since you sailed on the NS is that it now has the Rock Rolling Stone Rock Room - think a rock n roll cover band in a venue similar to BB Kings.

Thank you Nang! Yes, we realize the NS and Rotterdam are both Pinnacle Class ships. My concern, with all of the cuts, I was wondering what changes may have been made.