Christmas markets river cruises 2022 infos and tips

notamermaid

A more modern unintended consequence of Soviet architecture can be found in Berlin. Because the funds raised for reconstruction of the Dom were “borrowed” to fund its construction, it is also known as “The Pope’s Revenge.” 
Given the Olomuoc Clock it’s a good thing the Dom’s interior reconstruction didn’t occur until Reunification. 

Some nighttime views of the Christmas market in Krakow from two nights ago.  We made a quick circuit after arrival in Krakow, but will spend more time today.

Yesterday, Viking took us on a tour to Auschwitz and Birkenau.  The weather was suitably gloomy to the subject matter.  We’ve been to a number of concentration and extermination camps elsewhere as well as Holocaust museums in Israel and the United States, and it is always so gut wrenching how humans could treat one another.  But the survival stories illustrate how strong and wonderful the human spirit can also be.

E9F3FB56-B686-4217-B61D-EC558823C1BD.thumb.jpeg.b28e0f800233f6801c6b5ef65233378f.jpeg32F9B994-68E6-4A43-9A6E-0228A01F3B68.thumb.jpeg.8cf7bf6741887d5913dde8920847f389.jpeg3A66045C-C614-4428-AAD6-039C2471A024.thumb.jpeg.4cca1b52da7a07ef2c9fd94df7124257.jpeg

• Like 2

A daytime shot of the market in Krakow.  It was open and bustling on Christmas Day.  A good mix of things for sale (ceramic,

glass, and other ornaments plus lots of toys) and Polish foods.

Another cool thing around Krakow are nativity scenes.  A new one is commissioned every year.  They are wonderfully detailed.

B027A23B-00CB-4303-8C33-0E243ECE8D30.thumb.jpeg.50878df985262e852b4210a9627ddff1.jpegF1546FB6-C302-4A26-ABE3-49FB13B88968.thumb.jpeg.8602d47540a4b8d07aed752e0623467a.jpeg
3FE8AE42-95B5-4CA0-A919-63D5C7490458.thumb.jpeg.48ad348a9d5ce9f56a0f805c6a5fb5e0.jpeg

• Like 4

Almost all Christmas markets are closed - a tiny minority actually run into the New Year - but we are still in the Christmas season until Epiphany. Plenty to catch up on from my day trips, hope to get some photos posted before the sixth, but while I sort out my camera, I will post a video from Nicole Edenedo, who I think has done a great job this year reporting on river cruising, showing us her experience on a Christmas market river cruise. She is in Frankfurt in this video and I must say the market looks as pleasant as I remember it from many years ago: https://www.travelweekly.com/Media/Christmas-markets-return-to-Europe

@loriva Thank you for taking us along on your trip to the more unfamiliar region of the Elbe in winter and further East into Poland.

Keep on posting photos, folks, if you want to share impressions from your trip, any river or canal that you sailed. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

• Like 3

Take (blessed) chalk (of any colour) and mark on the lintel of your front door 20 + C + M + B + 23 saying:

The three Wise Men,
C Caspar,
M Melchior,
B and Balthasar followed the star of God’s Son who became human
20 two thousand
23 and twenty-three years ago.
++ May Christ bless our home
++ and remain with us throughout the new year. Amen.

(

A part of church history is the custom of blessing homes at the New Year. A family would hold a short service of prayer to ask God’s blessing on their dwellings and on all who live, work with and visit them. In this way, we invite Jesus to be a “guest” in our home, a listener to each conversation, a guide for troubled times, and a blessing in times of thanksgiving.

“Chalking the door” or the door step may be used as a way to celebrate and literally “mark” the occasion. In the Old Testament the Israelites were told to mark their doors with the blood of the lamb on the night of the Passover to ensure that the angel of death would pass them by. Deuteronomy 6: 9 says that we shall “write [the words of God] on your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, … and you shall write them on the door posts of your house and on your gates.”

Chalk is made of the substance of the earth and is used by teachers to instruct and by children to play. As the image of the chalk fades, we will remember the sign we have made and transfer it to our hearts and our habits.

Edited by hihandycap
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Perhaps you can explain the chalk marking that are made on doorways at Epiphany.

Just to add to hihandycap's post, here is the celebratory look at it: https://germanfoods.org/german-food-facts/celebrate-three-kings-day/

We do not eat the cake around where I live. Several years ago I was invited to join into a festive eating of the French version. A lovely afternoon it was.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay in finishing up about our Viking “Christmas on the Elbe” cruise and extension to Poland.  Retuned from Warsaw on the 28th and have been trying to catch up here from being away ever since

Two photos of Christmas markets in Warsaw.  The market square there is much smaller than the one in Krakow.  Its centerpiece—around the mermaid statue that is the symbol of the city— is an ice skating rink. Market offerings here are limited to food—grilled smoked cheese with cranberries and kielbasa, of course—and drink—hot flavored vodka and mulled wine.  We also found a hot, spiced beer in Warsaw.

Goods for sale are at the market along the old city walls near the entrance to the old city.  Lots of ceramics, wood, and knitted items.

And, because it’s fun, I couldn’t resist including a photo of the guy dressed as a pieroge.  

And, because this trip had been my first to a reunited Berlin and three former East bloc countries—the former GDR along the Elbe, Czechia, and Poland—I was constantly in the mind of thinking of the changes of the past 33 years.  So, a photo of the giant guitar outside the Hard Rock Cafe across the street from the humongous Soviet Realist Palace of Science and Culture.

Thanks for your many kind comments and reactions as we sailed along the Elbe and to parts beyond.  I’ll do a review of our first time with Viking River and the Astrild when time permits.

Happy Epiphany, Three Kings, and Orthodox Christmas,

3C2E4827-5BF5-4F21-A842-95C209CA2D2E.thumb.jpeg.1b442c71e546688baf85a037247d0aef.jpegE7E9FA98-DA91-4EEE-91F1-253F35823834.thumb.jpeg.1131f0d401360999e217528e61e31e8a.jpeg210CC1CF-5537-4AC7-917C-C976604682BC.thumb.jpeg.acafe79dbd71e21311841a75c2f119ed.jpegDDC9DFF8-F520-461C-8072-005F3ED37CD9.thumb.jpeg.307df086b67cfca38aaa5219c2872ac3.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, loriva said:

And, because this trip had been my first to a reunited Berlin and three former East bloc countries—the former GDR along the Elbe, Czechia, and Poland—I was constantly in the mind of thinking of the changes of the past 33 years.  So, a photo of the giant guitar outside the Hard Rock Cafe across the street from the humongous Soviet Realist Palace of Science and Culture.

DDC9DFF8-F520-461C-8072-005F3ED37CD9.thumb.jpeg.307df086b67cfca38aaa5219c2872ac3.jpeg

I have loved your reviews! Makes me want to go on your cruise.

I love this picture - OMG - there are so many Soviet buildings like this in Moscow. Definitely a cross culture picture.

• Thanks 1

Can you believe that there are almost 3,000 Christmas markets in Germany? I think the figure is probably correct. And with all the small charity events that almost count as Christmas markets there are even more festive places, great and small. Deutsche Welle has put together a list of seven must-see markets in Germany, all more or less big and crowded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4l_wJkIezs

I only know the Cologne one in this top seven list and I do find it very good but also a bit too full for my liking. Still, it would be nice to see one of the other six famous ones, too. I went for small this past season, out of necessity mostly but also a little by choice. I started into the season surprisingly early with a trip into the Westerwald hills on Sunday of the Dead, which is the last Sunday before Advent. The rule is that Christmas markets are not open on that day (check individually if you are interested in a specific town) but you can find florists and workshops that open their doors for display, you can also buy things. Again check wherever you go to avoid disappointment. We had a longer trip into the hills and had a lovely afternoon in the village of Thalhausen.

Herr Krämer of Krippen Krämer is a carpenter who specializes in cribs and landscaping for them. In the shop they also have lots of additional things that you could need. The figures are either carved out of wood (expensive and from Italy) or polyresin (a bit cheaper but still high quality). The attraction on that day was actually the fact that they offered an afternoon with the family, a kind of café in the living-room with soup for lunch if you decide to come early or coffee and cake in the afternoon. What a lovely view over the valley it was from the car park, this must be great in snow. I think you can guess which is the woodworker's house:

682070499_CC5571-Kopie.thumb.JPG.778b27980e740e4732b30917cf107cc9.JPG

It was so inviting, everything was decorated, the soup and cakes made by the family and friends were so tasty and the shop was just full of almost everything you could wish for. I got additional lights for the crib and miscellaneous decorations and also a small gift for a family member. I preferred not to ask if I could take photos inside, there were too many people and  I did not want to impose. Here are a few photos on the website: https://www.krippenkraemer.de/galerie/

We talked to Herr Krämer in the workshop, the smell of fresh wood was so lovely and homely on this grey day.

When we left the house had transformed almost into an alpine scene without the snow, unfortunately the rain caught my camera:

DSCN5577.thumb.JPG.2d88fdd4e7894aec5498341a21dae013.JPG

This was very different and enjoyable. I am sure you get can get similar lovely wooden things and handmade decorations at various Christmas markets but seeing the man in action making the cribs and landscapes was special.

Has one of you folks had such a special excursion, not sure, perhaps in the Black Forest, on a past river cruise?

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Second seating said:

I loved the You Tube on Christmas markets, we have been to five of the markets!

Second seating

That is great! I reckon you probably did not go to the Lübeck one seeing that it is off the beaten track. For a Christmas market I would not immediately think of Lübeck myself but it looks really good and Lübecker Marzipan is so much part of my tradition and childhood memories - marzipan potatoes, yummy. I went to Lübeck many years ago on a Northern Germany trip. I enjoyed it a lot, it is still Germany but feels very different from where I live.

notamermaid

We have enjoyed many markets in Germany including the well-known and the less known. We went to Lubeck in 2014 on a day trip from Berlin, because my English family had ancestors who were seamen from Lubeck.  I grew up knowing that marzipan was our family's favorite candy.  The Christmas market was delightful, and I remember that there were fresh cut trees everywhere.  The food and the trees all smelled wonderful.  Don't laugh too hard at the photo of my husband trying currywurst at the Lubeck Christmas market!  I enjoyed my bratwurst.  We also visited the beautiful craft market in the Heiligen-Geist Hospital in Lubeck, and the old hospital itself was fascinating.  We spent a couple of hours in the Thomas Mann museum and sadly didn't have time to visit the Niederigger shop.    

The Christmas markets in Leipzig and Potsdam were also fun. In Leipzig a brass group played on a balcony over the market every evening.  Potsdam had the funniest portable toilets with large pictures of actors and actresses in the stalls.  My stall had George Clooney.  The men's section had photos of beautiful women overlooking the fixtures.  We considered taking photos but were afraid to look foolish!

2014 Germany November and December 111.JPG

2014 Germany November and December 110.JPG

• Like 2

Yes we have not been to Lübeck or Bremen, but I would love Lübeck!  Marzipan is one of my favorite things including this cookie I created from an accidentally putting marzipan in the mixing bowl instead of almond paste. Now known as the Coconut Accident!

Second seating

Second seatingimage.thumb.jpeg.9d407cbc640571ce22b7a18fee2e88e6.jpeg

• Like 4