Christmas markets river cruises 2022 infos and tips

notamermaid

Linz market in full swing.  The small one close to the river was still busy at 2000, the larger one by the train station, stalls were closing at 1900 as the rain was keeping people inside.  I liked the little animatronic displays.

The people who went to Salzburg said the markets were expensive.  

E2313C3A-FD21-4976-93C9-E69EA3F3B0DF.thumb.jpeg.334e4b3e9efd4a8d9054d715df9ab6a0.jpeg

Strange juxtaposition between Santa and the nice lady.

6DBF872C-00A8-4442-8BAD-464ECD6FCAEE.thumb.jpeg.86286ca33e8792c43b031cd19b89d1d8.jpeg

4F00F81C-4FA0-4F9C-9E10-57E39B224992.thumb.jpeg.036534ad08926874b101a50c92515f66.jpeg

55494B0F-8E2F-4BF1-8004-72936220AE86.thumb.jpeg.14f4734a6699a7337bf126547986780c.jpeg

Unfortunately,  I did not get a picture of the Frau Holle animatronic.  Will google later to try and figure out the story.  I just know that the little girl was crying as her dress was dirty, as a fox/wolf looked very concerned.

89FB21FE-36DA-4226-9836-EAD32E977CF8.thumb.jpeg.2c9863e97dab2e11b3b2ae696d789d4d.jpeg

57229A82-8433-4FDB-B15E-5BDBAFB6DBD0.thumb.jpeg.34ab4c995be1797d705fb640ad652cbf.jpeg

EEA0C6DA-25B8-4B1A-B9D3-D0F67E63F745.thumb.jpeg.77009391edf83ced575ab0dc79c7097f.jpeg

494C28E7-4B24-4AFE-A2B0-816001635E6E.jpeg

Edited by ural guy
Duplicates
  • Like 2

Notamermaid believe it or not when my husband said we were buying a narrowboat I insisted on really good heating so we could use it all year round. So with full central heating and a Morso solid fuel stove we were fit to go. A lot of essential maintenance is carried out during winter so distance cruising is often restricted but local isn’t. For instance Devizes had a lantern festival our boats got involved with that (will try to find a picture) New Year moored up with friends and fireworks is not to be missed. So basically cold outside very warm inside as your in a steel box 60 odd ft by just under 7 if on a narrowboat and as heat rises when you stand up your head is really a lot hotter than your already hot toes. 
Someone asked me once how to navigate around the canals and why answer navigate by the pubs and the canals run on alcohol and water in that order, tongue in cheek yes as you can be arrested for being drunk in charge of a canal boat of any kind as it’s a bit like a lorry could weigh more than 15 tons.

Thank you for your detailed answer.

9 hours ago, Canal archive said:

For instance Devizes had a lantern festival our boats got involved with that (will try to find a picture) New Year moored up with friends and fireworks is not to be missed.

That sounds great.

I think I could not sail or be away from home over Christmas but New Year's Eve I would like to spend on a boat.

notamermaid

Both Christmas markets we visited in Vienna were bustling last night.  The stalls seem to have a higher quality of merchandise. Here there were quite a few items I could see getting for presents that people would be honestly happy to have, and not just some souvenir that they could buy anywhere in Europe.  Both are very easy to get to by subways without changing lines.  We are docked adjacent St Francis church, so really easy access to city center.  

The one market surrounds St Stephens Cathedral. It was great when the bells are ringing as you stroll along.

BD84CEB3-C662-49A2-99DE-BDD196BA9F60.thumb.jpeg.d8dd99a46a2ab5cf24a763c7ee9a40ce.jpeg

• Like 1

My friends and I just booked a Amsterdam to Brussels market trip with Tauck for December 6-13, 2023.  From what I’m reading there are not a lot of markets like we’ve seen in Germany, located in Amsterdam and they don’t open until mid December. Can anyone comment on this. I’ve read there is a small market at Musemplein with ice skating.  We will have 2 full days to explore. 

On 11/24/2022 at 12:30 AM, ural guy said:

Both Christmas markets we visited in Vienna were bustling last night.  The stalls seem to have a higher quality of merchandise. Here there were quite a few items I could see getting for presents that people would be honestly happy to have, and not just some souvenir that they could buy anywhere in Europe.  Both are very easy to get to by subways without changing lines.  We are docked adjacent St Francis church, so really easy access to city center.  

The one market surrounds St Stephens Cathedral. It was great when the bells are ringing as you stroll along.

BD84CEB3-C662-49A2-99DE-BDD196BA9F60.thumb.jpeg.d8dd99a46a2ab5cf24a763c7ee9a40ce.jpeg

I loved the ones in Vienna - they were awesome. The one near St. Stephens Cathedral - I found the softest hat and I didn't buy it and I never saw one again like it.

I´m on my way back home from a 24 hour visit to Basel (actually I visited 4 river cruise ships of Swiss operator Thurgau Travel - Edelweiss, Thurgau Prestige (ex Tauck ship), Antonio Bellucci and Thurgau Ultra (ex Premicon Queen, ex TUI Queen). I walked back from the ships to the train station stopping at the Basel market at Barfüsserplatz (there´s a second one). I will post some photos later.

steamboats

• Like 3

3 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

What was the mask situation please steamboats? - leaving in a few days!

No masks in Switzerland. In Germany you still have to wear masks in public transportation (medical masks in local and regional public transportation and KN95 in IC, EC or ICE trains).

steamboats 

So here we go - Baseler Weihnacht with the Weihnachtsmarkt Barfüsserplatz in Basel, Switzerland.

I only bought two pieces of Pastel de Nata. They took my Euro and have me 2 Swiss Francs in return. That booth did not accept card payment. The ticket machines at all tram stops did accept card payment.

steamboats

story_1669471615663.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Thank you steamboats, nice photos - are taking masks, but don't intend to take any public transportation. Unless the cruise line go mad re our coaches for excursions?

Actually I´m not sure but you may have to wear masks on busses in Germany for excursions as they might be qualifying for public transportation.

steamboats

12 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Are the markets noticeably dimmer this year?

As far as I´ve heard almost all markets switched to LED lightning to save energy. And instead of having the lights on 24/7 they put it on when it´s starting to get dark and turn it off when the market closes. So many may have limited hours for the lights.

steamboats

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steamboats said:

I only bought two pieces of Pastel de Nata. They took my Euro and have me 2 Swiss Francs in return. That booth did not accept card payment. The ticket machines at all tram stops did accept card payment.

steamboats

story_1669471615663.jpg

Yum! I was recently in Lisbon and bought 4 of them!

I've been to two more markets in Munich today (plus the Residenz Weihnachtsdorf for another eggnog).

So I've been to Schwabinger Weihnachtsmarkt. They have the best Flammbrot (the photo shows only half a Flammbrot as I shared one with my Mom as a starter).

Then we moved on to Mittelalter Weihnachtsmarkt for a wild boar roll as entrée. I also can recommend the Knödel there. Heard a lot of English there.

We moved over to Residenz Weihnachtsdorf which is just around the corner. Another eggnog for dessert.

The main problem was the subway which had a construction going on. So the trains and stations were crowded as this was right in the center of Munich. I haven't ready anything about this so it came as a surprise.

steamboats 

story_1669569486112.jpg

story_1669569402420.jpg

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, steamboats said:

One was 3.50 CHF. In Portugal it's more Like 1 Euro. So two were all I could afford 😂.

steamboats 

It was like 1,10 or 1,20 each. They were truly amazing. I had one in Spain a few days earlier. I think this is the original company in Lisbon:

image.thumb.jpeg.26705237cc388a97f618578abd41d506.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

I've been to two more markets in Munich today (plus the Residenz Weihnachtsdorf for another eggnog).

So I've been to Schwabinger Weihnachtsmarkt. They have the best Flammbrot (the photo shows only half a Flammbrot as I shared one with my Mom as a starter).

Then we moved on to Mittelalter Weihnachtsmarkt for a wild boar roll as entrée. I also can recommend the Knödel there. Heard a lot of English there.

We moved over to Residenz Weihnachtsdorf which is just around the corner. Another eggnog for dessert.

The main problem was the subway which had a construction going on. So the trains and stations were crowded as this was right in the center of Munich. I haven't ready anything about this so it came as a surprise.

steamboats 

story_1669569486112.jpg

story_1669569402420.jpg

Great pics!

On 11/26/2022 at 12:25 PM, steamboats said:

I´m on my way back home from a 24 hour visit to Basel (actually I visited 4 river cruise ships of Swiss operator Thurgau Travel - Edelweiss, Thurgau Prestige (ex Tauck ship), Antonio Bellucci and Thurgau Ultra (ex Premicon Queen, ex TUI Queen).

Thank you for sharing all the photos of the markets.

I have managed to visit two so far. Info on Andernach market coming tomorrow or Tuesday.

So you went to the open day in Basel. Will there be any info on cruisetricks.de or are you sharing info via your own internet presence?

Perhaps you could put info in here? https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2890402-open-days-companies-show-you-their-river-cruise-ships-and-their-offers/#comment-64304474

Would like to read more on the ships now that they are on the German market. A pity that they are not international (bilingual with English).

notamermaid

13 hours ago, notamermaid said:

So you went to the open day in Basel. Will there be any info on cruisetricks.de or are you sharing info via your own internet presence?

There will be something on Cruisetricks and also on Cruisediary. So far I only did a story/highlight on IG on Cruisediary. Plus I downloaded all the photos and sorted them.

There were actually four ships but I took photos only of three of them. Why? The Thurgau Ultra (ex TUI Queen, ex Premicon Queen) is leaving the fleet and will be replaced by the newbuildt Thurgau Gold. So it didn´t make sense to take photos of a ship leaving the company. And with more than 3,200 guests visiting the ships in two days it was hard to take photos anyway. There will be also an interview with the German CEO. But my DH is just returning from Miami today and we haven´t talked about the details yet. I will post in the other thread when there´s something online.

steamboats