Day Trip from Rome?

janetmojo

We are spending 4 days in Rome pre-cruise next summer. I have been to Rome twice and husband once.  While we want to see some of the sights we would also like to maybe tour outside of town via tour or train etc.  Does anyone have any suggestions (bonus if it includes a tour company etc).  I am capable of doing it on my own but would also welcome a tour because I have a month of trip planning to work on as this is a big long trip for us.

The tour company option is mentioned here quite frequently...see the HUGE thread filled with recommendations for the wonderful Rome in Limo.  They are a wonderful operation. If it possibly can be done, they will do it, and it will be fantastic.

Or you could easily train to many places, like Florence, about 90 minutes away and spend two nights.

An easy day trip that doesn't take much planning is the royal palace and gardens at Caserta.   It's a little over an hour by high speed train from Rome, and the palace is directly across from the train station so there's no need for ground transportation once there.

The palace takes about an hour to tour, then the gardens can be explored for hours.  In the warmer months they have various means of transportation through the gardens, or you can walk.

cultura.gov.it

• Like 1

Tivoli makes for another easy day trip from Rome. Many tour companies offer a half day tour that includes the two main sites of the town: the sprawling ruins of the country villa of the Emperor Hadrian (so big that it seems like a town in itself) and the magnificent Renaissance Villa d'Este and its gardens.

Hadrian's Villa

image.thumb.png.4312c77068c42063e43a0eb0f6cbb9bf.png 

Villa d'Este

image.png.6c1fdab492451c4332a5cd5c079d37af.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Tivoli makes for another easy day trip from Rome. Many tour companies offer a half day tour that includes the two main sites of the town: the sprawling ruins of the country villa of the Emperor Hadrian (so big that it seems like a town in itself) and the magnificent Renaissance Villa d'Este and its gardens.

Hadrian's Villa

Villa d'Este

Watch Mary Beard’s documentaries on Rome, free on Amazon Prime. I believe her 2nd episode covers Hadrian’s villa. It’s so interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenFamily said:

Watch Mary Beard’s documentaries on Rome, free on Amazon Prime. I believe her 2nd episode covers Hadrian’s villa. It’s so interesting. 

I added a link to the documentary below. The part about Hadrian's Villa starts around 45 minutes in.

Mary always has an interesting take on things, although I don't always agree with her pronouncements. In this case I like her summary at the end about Hadrian's Villa, how it represents a miniature version of the Roman empire. In fact I'd go a step further and say it was the EPCOT of its day, or maybe the very first "World's Fair".

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 7:18 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Hadrian's Villa

Villa d'Este

We just did this last month..... have wanted to for years, it was wonderful.

• Like 2