unfinished wine package question

pmjnh

A question has come up. We will be doing side by side cruises.  Disembarking The K and boarding the Zaandam on the same day. 

we will have purchased a wine package on the K. In the unlikely but possible of event of having an unopened bottle remaining on the last day on the K. Will they mark it as purchased so that I can bring that unopened bottle onto the Z without having to pay a corkage fee?  

Just make arrangements at the front office. We have had left over bottles between cruises on 2 different ships. We have done it before. When you check in on the new ship and the X ray attendants see your wine through the X ray machine, they will send you to the desk to pay the corkage fee... but with previous arrangements, they will have your name on a list and they will allow you to just walk on, with your wine bottles free of charge. Based on previous experience.

Edited by happyglobetrotter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

In February, 2000 we were booked for 42 days on the Westerdam with an 8 bottle wine package.  When we got off in Cambodia about ten days later there were still 6 bottles left.  When all the charges were settled I suggested that if they didn't want to reimburse me for the unused wine they could carry it over to the next cruise.  They agreed to do that.  Our next cruise is the Westerdam this March.  It will be interesting if it works out OK as they agreed.

Ray

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

In February, 2000 we were booked for 42 days on the Westerdam with an 8 bottle wine package.  When we got off in Cambodia about ten days later there were still 6 bottles left.  When all the charges were settled I suggested that if they didn't want to reimburse me for the unused wine they could carry it over to the next cruise.  They agreed to do that.  Our next cruise is the Westerdam this March.  It will be interesting if it works out OK as they agreed.

Ray

Oh, that is interesting...so on the March cruise you should be able to choose 6 bottles as credited..I do hope that works out for you!

4 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

If you think HAL will honor a wine commitment from 23 years ago for bottles purchased at a much lower price, I wish you good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

if they didn't want to reimburse me for the unused wine they could carry it over to the next cruise. 

I'm trying to visualize this....As you sit down in the MDR on your next cruise, you tell your waiter that you have 6 bottles coming to you from your last cruise 23 years ago.....and you ask him to check the account....and then he confirms it and starts pouring wine?

I'd really be quite impressed if that works out.  I have my doubts.

Good luck and please come back and let us know how that goes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

If you think HAL will honor a wine commitment from 23 years ago for bottles purchased at a much lower price, I wish you good luck.

Call it a typo or old age - It was 2020 when we were evicted from the Westerdam in Cambodia.

Ray

18 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

Did you get anything in writing?

4 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Did you get anything in writing?

Glad you mentioned that.  I knew I had it in writing.  Just looked it up.  It says "As you suggested, we would like to offer you a 6-Bottle Wine Package on a future sailing with us.  This amenity, which is valid for 2 years from the date of this communication, is associated with your Mariner number and will automatically be credited to you upon booking your next Holland America Line cruise.  We kindly ask that this offer be verified at time of confirmation to ensure this booking is properly noted."  The email is dated April 17, 2020.

While I did book a similar cruise in 2021, it was cancelled by HAL and another ship substituted and my current booking was done later this year.  I will turn it over to my TA and see if he can do anything about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Glad you mentioned that.  I knew I had it in writing.  Just looked it up.  It says "As you suggested, we would like to offer you a 6-Bottle Wine Package on a future sailing with us.  This amenity, which is valid for 2 years from the date of this communication, is associated with your Mariner number and will automatically be credited to you upon booking your next Holland America Line cruise.  We kindly ask that this offer be verified at time of confirmation to ensure this booking is properly noted."  The email is dated April 17, 2020.

While I did book a similar cruise in 2021, it was cancelled by HAL and another ship substituted and my current booking was done later this year.  I will turn it over to my TA and see if he can do anything about it.

As much as hal has its flaws I’m amazed that they can actually keep track of these things.  I have been told I would have a certain amenity and I did actually get it after cruise after cruise was canceled.  That said I couldn’t  tell you if there was a time stamp on mine.

28 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

"As you suggested, we would like to offer you a 6-Bottle Wine Package on a future sailing with us. 

That is so awesome!!!!  Another reason to love HAL (if that ends up working out well!)

I take back my previous comment when I thought you were holding on to a 23 year old promise for future wine!

I'd love to hear how it goes and I'm going to ask the MDR waiter if I can do that as well.....I'll just keep buying the 8 bottle packages and roll them onto the next sailing!  I'd love to have a wine bottle credit running with HAL!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

That's great! And I am quite impressed with your awesome record keeping skills

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

That's great! And I am quite impressed with your awesome record keeping skills

Thanks for the kudo, but it is actually pretty simple.  I use Gmail and when I save an email I save it to one of about 10 folders.  One is labelled "Travel"  They automatically file by date, so it is easy to go back to early 2020 in the travel folder and find what HAL had sent to me.  Sent a copy of it to my TA today, so will see if anything comes of it.

To be honest, I feel that HAL treated us so well when we left the Westerdam and fairly treated our claim, if I don't get $140 or so worth of wine returned to me on our next cruise, I will lose no sleep over it.

Ray

• Like 3

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks for the kudo, but it is actually pretty simple.  I use Gmail and when I save an email I save it to one of about 10 folders.  One is labelled "Travel"  They automatically file by date, so it is easy to go back to early 2020 in the travel folder and find what HAL had sent to me.  Sent a copy of it to my TA today, so will see if anything comes of it.

To be honest, I feel that HAL treated us so well when we left the Westerdam and fairly treated our claim, if I don't get $140 or so worth of wine returned to me on our next cruise, I will lose no sleep over it.

Ray

I really think they will honour it.  Stranger things have happened.

5 hours ago, echoshipmate said:

Just did this from NA to Rotterdam with 2 bottles kept from wine package purchased on NA. Had NA sommelier put a sticker on each bottle, took over to Rotterdam in carry on, no issues!

Doug

Thats great to know! Thank you!