Vancouver and Victoria

My SIL and I are going on an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver in May 2023.  This will be her first but my 3rd.  I was thinking about arriving in Vancouver a few days early so we can see the sights.  I'd love to take her over to Victoria to see the Gardens.  I think we rented a car last time I did that with my husband.  I'd rather not rent a car though this time since I'm not familiar with the area.  We're both in our 60's and fairly active.  Is there some sort of transportation over to Victoria and than on to the Gardens?  Maybe a tour company that does all the driving for you?  Any suggestions?

Teanne

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeanneTX said:

My SIL and I are going on an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver in May 2023.  This will be her first but my 3rd.  I was thinking about arriving in Vancouver a few days early so we can see the sights.  I'd love to take her over to Victoria to see the Gardens.  I think we rented a car last time I did that with my husband.  I'd rather not rent a car though this time since I'm not familiar with the area.  We're both in our 60's and fairly active.  Is there some sort of transportation over to Victoria and than on to the Gardens?  Maybe a tour company that does all the driving for you?  Any suggestions?

Teanne

We’re coming from Australia on our first Alaska cruise (our bucket list item so our only trip). Doing 14 days Vancouver return voyage but arriving early and staying vancouver but doing trips out from there. I have been researching too and appears a number of tours out, or ferry and make your own way. 
I plan to do a tour to butchart! That’s been on my bucket list a long time.

Enjoy planning.

Going to Victoria and the Gardens for a day trip is possible, but it's a r-e-a-l-l-y long day. There are a few tour companies that offer these trips, though I have not personally used them. We spent several days dedicated to Victoria after a cruise 2019. Might want to check these out:

https://vancouvertours.com/tour/victoria-butchart-gardens-tour/

https://westcoastsightseeing.com/guided_tours/victoria-butchart-gardens-tour/

https://pacificcoachtravelservices.com/vancouver-to-victoria-and-butchart-gardens-tour/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeanneTX said:

Teanne

In addition to tours where you abide by their schedule, you can consider public transport and the ferry.

Coast Mountain operates buses out to Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal that arrive in time to walk on the ferry to Swartz bay (Victoria). On disembarking the ferry you can catch the Victoria transit bus to the gardens (#81 if memory is correct)

You can spend as many hours at the gardens as you want. Personally we plan for at least 4 hrs. You can then catch the local bus back to the ferry terminal, or down to Victoria. 

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

In addition to tours where you abide by their schedule, you can consider public transport and the ferry.

Coast Mountain operates buses out to Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal that arrive in time to walk on the ferry to Swartz bay (Victoria). On disembarking the ferry you can catch the Victoria transit bus to the gardens (#81 if memory is correct)

You can spend as many hours at the gardens as you want. Personally we plan for at least 4 hrs. You can then catch the local bus back to the ferry terminal, or down to Victoria. 

Thanks.  This is very helpful.  We may try to do it ourselves rather than the tour.  Sounds like they have good public transportation.

1 hour ago, TeanneTX said:

Thanks.  This is very helpful.  We may try to do it ourselves rather than the tour.  Sounds like they have good public transportation.

The public transport out to the ferry terminals is good on both sides.

The Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal bus I believe is the 620 and it departs from Bridgeport Station in Richmond. It meets every sailing from Victoria and is a very popular service.

You also have a private bus service that sails on each ferry which goes from Vancouver to Victoria. However, that service is direct and no longer stops at Butchart gardens.

Teanne, I saw your post and wanted to message you. My husband and I have booked the May 17-31, 2023 Vancouver to Vancouver, Alaskan sailing. We want to see Victoria also and are trying to figure out how to make that happen either pre or post cruise. This would involve coordinating air flights also. So I need to start developing  a plan. Please let me What you have found out. By the way, we live in Denton, Texas. What a great and small world it would be if we were on the same sailing. Best regards, Stacie

• Like 1

Given the long day, an overnight on the Island is definitely the way to go unless you feel up to a 12-14 hour day with half that time spent sitting on buses and ferries. Flying is a lot pricier but vastly quicker - still a long day, but at least you go downtown to downtown on the floatplanes or choppers and the short check-in and short flight means you only need an hour each way.

We did this ourselves on our first visit to the area many moons ago, still a very long day but barely 2 hours of that was 'airport & plane ride' time, all of the rest was touring Victoria or heading to Butchart - which gave us time to do a whalewatch and the Royal BC Museum as well as 3 hours at Butchart. Had we booked a bus/ferry sightseeing coach tour we'd have had a driveby tour of downtown Victoria, an hour of 'free time' and only ~two hours at Butchart - and that's assuming no delay on the ferry, any time lost there further reduces your actual Doing Stuff time as the tour buses are locked into specific ferry trips so cannot stay longer on the Island than planned.

Personally I'd consider flying in to YYJ instead of YVR, spending a night of two in Victoria, then taking the BC Ferry Connector coach (the one Andy mentioned above, ballpark $70pp for coach and ferry ticket but this is an awful lot easier with luggage than schlepping big suitcases around on transit buses) to Vancouver for the rest of your pre-cruise stay. While a car rental is by far the best way to see anything outside Victoria other than Butchart, Victoria itself can easily fill a day or two between museums, galleries, Ye Olde Historic Homes, and gardens and Butchart is worthy of at least three hours on-site (so 5 hours total by transit, closer to 4 on CVS shuttle bus) so 1 or even 2 nights is absolutely justifiable even only hanging around Victoria.

You may also find hotels more reasonable in Vic than Van - you can certainly blow a wad of cash on the Empress, but there are some mid-range downtown hotels that offer relative bargains.

• Like 1

As @martincathmentioned, an overnight in Victoria would be well worth the time. We did the opposite, though ... took the BC Ferry Connector coach to Victoria after our cruise ended in YVR. It was awesome as the Coach picked up at Canada Place after we disembarked, transported us on the Ferry, then to downtown Victoria (just a few blocks from our hotel.) We stayed at the Magnolia Hotel, walking distance to everything. Next day, we took a shuttle to Butchart Gardens, spent several hours and then shuttled back. For another activity option, would highly recommend Canadian Craft tours as well. We took really fun wine tour to the Cowichan Valley. https://www.canadiancrafttours.ca/

After spending 3 relaxing days in Victoria, we flew out of YYJ back to Phoenix on Delta with a connection in SEA. (Unfortunately, Delta no longer serves YYJ.)

Whatever you decide, Victoria is lovely ... enjoy!

8 hours ago, DogLover said:

As @martincathmentioned, an overnight in Victoria would be well worth the time. We did the opposite, though ... took the BC Ferry Connector coach to Victoria after our cruise ended in YVR. It was awesome as the Coach picked up at Canada Place after we disembarked, transported us on the Ferry, then to downtown Victoria (just a few blocks from our hotel.) We stayed at the Magnolia Hotel, walking distance to everything. Next day, we took a shuttle to Butchart Gardens, spent several hours and then shuttled back. For another activity option, would highly recommend Canadian Craft tours as well. We took really fun wine tour to the Cowichan Valley. https://www.canadiancrafttours.ca/

After spending 3 relaxing days in Victoria, we flew out of YYJ back to Phoenix on Delta with a connection in SEA. (Unfortunately, Delta no longer serves YYJ.)

Thank you for the info.  We may just do that instead of spending the time in Vancouver.  Wonder how it would work to get back to Vancouver in order to catch the ship.  

"Wonder how it would work to get back to Vancouver in order to catch the ship. "

You would catch the BC Ferry Connector bus in downtown Victoria and it would drop you in downtown Vancouver.  I highly suggest you get back over to Vancouver the day before your cruise, not the morning of.  Ferries can be cancelled or delayed for many reasons and you don't want to be sitting on a bus waiting for a ferry when you should be on the ship.

@cruiseryyc is correct that one option would be to take the BC Ferry Connector the opposite direction (from downtown Victoria to downtown Vancouver.)

One other option (if price is not of concern) is Harbour Air Seaplanes, which depart and arrive in downtown Vancouver and Victoria. They also have a day tour from Vancouver which includes transport to the Gardens ... again pricey but convenient and far less travel time than the Ferry.

Spend the Day in Victoria - Harbour Air: North America's Largest Seaplane Airline - Since 1982

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2022 at 10:18 PM, DogLover said:

Hoping that you’ll see this and respond.  We are thinking of doing this after our Cruisetour to Alaska.  We see the only option for the BC connector is 8:55 am to catch the bus to the ferry to Victoria.  I assume you think this is doable.  We’d have to self debark with all our checked bags and clear customs.  Waiting for checked bags would take too long I’m sure.  I’m wondering how late the ships get cleared in Vancouver. I guess last resort if we miss the bus we grab a cab and try to make the 11:00 ferry. 

In checking air, we found no additional cost flying from Victoria back to Dallas rather then Vancouver and hotels are less in Victoria then Vancouver so it’s sounds like a win win if we can make the bus. We’ll have 48 hours to explore Victoria so hope to do Butchart Gardens and explore downtown.  

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Hoping that you’ll see this and respond.  We are thinking of doing this after our Cruisetour to Alaska.  We see the only option for the BC connector is 8:55 am to catch the bus to the ferry to Victoria.  I assume you think this is doable.  We’d have to self debark with all our checked bags and clear customs.  Waiting for checked bags would take too long I’m sure.  I’m wondering how late the ships get cleared in Vancouver. I guess last resort if we miss the bus we grab a cab and try to make the 11:00 ferry. 

In checking air, we found no additional cost flying from Victoria back to Dallas rather then Vancouver and hotels are less in Victoria then Vancouver so it’s sounds like a win win if we can make the bus. We’ll have 48 hours to explore Victoria so hope to do Butchart Gardens and explore downtown.  

I already responded over on your other thread, but since there are a couple of other questions in this post, more info for you!

First, everyone gets cleared while still on the ship - pax manifest is transmitted, so the tricky part (Immigration) is already decided on before you even dock. Customs forms are also filled out and collected onboard - and as non Canadian residents the odds of you being liable for paying Duty on anything is minimal since you're taking it with you back home. This means you have a very slim chance of being randomly selected for extra screening as long as you don't have criminal records - you might get a token "Are you staying in Canada? Where and for how long? Welcome, have a nice day" type chat or even walk out to the curb without actually even having to speak to CBSA at all!

Self-disembarking you will probably be allocated a walk-off time somewhere between 7:15am and 8am - we always walk our own bags off, and my wife has been at work by 8am every time (including her ~10min walk to the office).

Take a cab from the pier to the bus station (Pacific Central), as the BCFConnector coach no longer goes direct from the pier even in summer - all the downtown hotel and pier pickups are a shuttle service which takes you to the bus depot, from where the coach leaves at 9:30am. The extra cost of the shuttle ($15) is at least the same per person as cab fare - so for 2 people you save cash. Heck, you could easily walk to the bus depot in time if you self-disembark - it's only 1.5 miles!

Do look at rental car prices - both on the island as well as a 'pick up downtown Vancouver and drop off in Victoria' to see what rates you can find on your dates. A one-day rental in Vic might work out as cheap as the extra cost of CVS shuttle to Butchart compared to just paying the entry fee, and the flexibility of taking your own car on the ferry (any departure time, not just when the BCFC runs; choice of route - you could head north to Horseshoe Bay, take the gondola or see some waterfalls around Squamish, the mining museum in Britannia Beach etc.) may be worth some extra cash.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

If your looking at having a rental car in Victoria my suggestion would be do the BC Ferries Connector from Downtown Vancouver to Swartz Bay Terminal.   With that setup you would take the Connector onto the ferry but you would be walking off the ship on the Victoria side.

There are always a stand of taxis at the Swartz Bay terminal and it is a very short taxi ride from their to the Victoria Airport where you can pickup a rental car.  That way your pickup and returning your rental at the same place.

Edited by em-sk

7 hours ago, em-sk said:

If your looking at having a rental car in Victoria my suggestion would be do the BC Ferries Connector from Downtown Vancouver to Swartz Bay Terminal.   With that setup you would take the Connector onto the ferry but you would be walking off the ship on the Victoria side.

There are always a stand of taxis at the Swartz Bay terminal and it is a very short taxi ride from their to the Victoria Airport where you can pickup a rental car.  That way your pickup and returning your rental at the same place.

The BC connector does get you to downtown Victoria from the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver as I can see to book it.  Maybe it was shut down due to covid but able to book for 2023.  It’s very reasonable even with checked bags.  I was excited to find this option.  It takes almost 6 hours but the seaplane has pretty strict bag restrictions.  $1 per pound over 10 pounds pp could add almost another $200.  

I hadn’t thought about renting a car. It would give us the freedom to see more but would need to weigh that against hotel parking fees.  Or we could stay out of downtown too.  How’s daytime street parking in Victoria?  

Thanks for all the comments.  I’ve had to dig for information to do this and appreciate the help.  We’re experienced cruisers and know that getting off the ship is sometimes delayed.  Coming off a smaller ship ( Radiance) with status might get us off after suites but I think we’d still self assist.  We’ve just never debarked from Vancouver.  I’m guessing they don’t have facial recognition scanners like the the states.  It’s so fast now!  We were off an Oasis class ship last month, just kept walking, no waits at all.  

14 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

The BC connector does get you to downtown Victoria from the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver as I can see to book it.  Maybe it was shut down due to covid but able to book for 2023.  It’s very reasonable even with checked bags.  I was excited to find this option.  It takes almost 6 hours but the seaplane has pretty strict bag restrictions.  $1 per pound over 10 pounds pp could add almost another $200.  

I hadn’t thought about renting a car. It would give us the freedom to see more but would need to weigh that against hotel parking fees.  Or we could stay out of downtown too.  How’s daytime street parking in Victoria?  

Thanks for all the comments.  I’ve had to dig for information to do this and appreciate the help.  We’re experienced cruisers and know that getting off the ship is sometimes delayed.  Coming off a smaller ship ( Radiance) with status might get us off after suites but I think we’d still self assist.  We’ve just never debarked from Vancouver.  I’m guessing they don’t have facial recognition scanners like the the states.  It’s so fast now!  We were off an Oasis class ship last month, just kept walking, no waits at all.  

BC Connector will get you all the way to downtown.  They did suspend service for a short period during COVID but have added the service back.

I though there was mention in the threat earlier about car rental.  Victoria is a very walkable city and you can get buy without a car if your staying downtown.

Parking in downtown Victoria can be a bit challenging in summer.  The city owns several parkades that use the same pay parking systems as the street parking.  You can pay at the machines or using the app.  Parking is $3 for 1 hour $5 for 2 hours; $6 for 3 hours etc.

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1

If you decide to get a rental car, I would not do street parking but pay for parking at the hotel you're staying at; although some of the smaller downtown hotels include free parking.  Don't bother picking up the car until you're in Victoria, you can still drop off at the airport without paying a huge one way drop fee.

Edited by cruiseryyc

On 1/15/2023 at 9:36 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

I just went to check my travel folder from our 2019 trip. We booked the BC Connector which picked us up at Vancouver/Canada Place at 9:15 am. As I recall, we were off the ship in no time and actually stood in a queue for almost an hour before loading onto the bus. No, we didn't self debark either, and retrieved our luggage. Here is the information from our ticket: 

Pick up: Canada Place - 09:00 - 09:15

This pick up location is available for Cruise Ship Passengers Only. As the passenger disembarks off their cruise ship, pass through customs and look for our agent holding a sign that says 'BC Ferries Connector - Bus Service to Victoria BC" and check with that agent. DO NOT attempt to walk out onto the bus loading area without checking in with the agent! Passengers must bring any luggage with them as they disembark the cruise ship, and bring the luggage to our bus so we can check it in.

After taking the Ferry, we were dropped off (after several stops) in downtown Victoria, just a few steps from our accommodations (The Magnolia Hotel.) We didn't rent a car and used CVS tours to booked transportation and tour for Butchart Gardens. 

Hope this information helps. Would be happy to look up any other details from our trip (although no doubt things have changed a bit since 2019.)

• Thanks 1