Rotterdam just rescued 14 refugees!! 11-9-22

oakridger

Thanks to Jenny, Shadd and all for letting us know the firsthand story!  Wow!  15 minutes later and it would have been too dark.  It was very scary to watch. I am in 5160 port side.  Excellent work to all of you.  A story you can be proud to be a part of!

~Nancy

• Like 2

On 11/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, richwmn said:

The Bridge Watch was probably doing what he is supposed to do. It takes a bit of luck to see a small raft in the open ocean.

Actually two, Rich. There are always two watchkeepers (new title AB Helmsman; old title Quartermaster) on watch along with one senior and one junior navigation officer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Bravo Zulu to all (the four pax + RTDM's captain and crew) who made this rescue possible! They saved lives for sure. I have a feeling the United States Coast Guard will be officially recognizing all involved in the future. Yes, it is a shame that those individuals rescued already have been/will be returned to Cuba following current law

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Actually two, Rich. There are always two watchkeepers (new title AB Helmsman; old title Quartermaster) on watch along with one senior and one junior navigation officer

I was just responding to the inference by rkacruiser that the Bridge Watch (or Watches) were not doing their job. It seems to me that everyone on the bridge would be scanning the ocean at times during their watch, but no matter how many people happen to be looking, it still takes some luck to see a very small vessel some distance away.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

I was just responding to the inference by rkacruiser that the Bridge Watch (or Watches) were not doing their job. It seems to me that everyone on the bridge would be scanning the ocean at times during their watch, but no matter how many people happen to be looking, it still takes some luck to see a very small vessel some distance away.

No prob, Rich! I know what you meant and agree! Wasn't sure if you knew the primary/minimum staffing level of the bridge which is four. That gets expanded dramatically when the ship enters and leaves port and one of those two helmsmen takes the ship's wheel manually and verbally repeats orders from either the captain and/or the local pilot as to steering input. Fascinating process to watch! The entry into the narrow channel at Willemstad, Curacao comes to mind and there are other ports in the world, i.e. Nawiliwili, Kauai, where you think afterwards, how'd they do that?

In daylight, it's the primary job of the two Indonesian helmsmen to scan the horizon using binoculars. The major focus is what's ahead/in the path of the vessel. At night, that obviously becomes more difficult with limited visibility, so the two navigating officers use one of the radar screens which, in this rescue, was of no help. So yes, the aforementioned pax on their balcony get the rightfully deserved credit for spotting this raft, in inclement weather no less, and setting in motion the successful rescue which followed. They, and the RTDM's crew did everything right and deserve major credit for it!  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The photo above was Not the photo.  I was there.  It was a home-made sail boat, made out of Styrofoam, boards, and tarps.  The only words I could understand that they were calling out was "ayudame"....."help me" in Spanish. Really quite a remarkable rescue.  We watched the Rotterdam Sailors throw out the weighted throw rope three times, and it missed the raft.  The third time, one of the refugees jumped into the water to catch the rope and he was able to swim back to the raft and was helped on.  Then they had the raft tethered to  ship and were able to pull them in to safety.

Edited by mrspdp

On 11/9/2022 at 5:47 PM, oakridger said:

We just rescued 13 males and one female off a thrown together "boat".  Capatin said all are medically healthy and we may transfer them to a Coast Guard boat later.  Whew are they some lucky people!  

More to follow.  I'm going to go cry and have a drink first!

~Nancy

On 11/9/2022 at 5:56 PM, *Miss G* said:

Wow.  Those are some lucky people!  Thanks for letting us know.  I’m hoping someone posts pics.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:01 PM, SUESEABE said:

Just saw that on that 'other' site we aren't supposed to mention. They report Rotterdam position north of Cuba and below Key West. Report that a passenger in the Crow's Nest saw a raft in the water just before complete darkness. Coast Guard called. 13 people rescued. No mention of country of origin. Report that raft was pretty beat up. They are lucky to be rescued.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:03 PM, canadianbear said:

That passenger that spotted them should be commended for saving lives as well as the crew of the ship.  

On 11/9/2022 at 6:05 PM, rkacruiser said:

Interesting, but, I question the accuracy of the report of that first observation of this situation.  What's the Bridge Watch doing?  

On 11/9/2022 at 6:05 PM, oakridger said:

The first announcement was at about 5:45 pm and they were onboard at about 7:10pm.  Captain asked to not take any pictures so I didn't but I'll bet someone did.

On 11/9/2022 at 6:09 PM, oakridger said:

After they were safely onboard the Captain thanked "the person who spotted them" as well as the medical and hotel crew.  He first reported 13 but changed it to 13 males and 1 female.  I estimated 10 when they were up close.  They were waving and yelling in what I believe was Spanish.

My name is Nathan Sheffer. I just wanted to take a minute to say how great the Rotterdam crew was in the rescue of 13 refugees. they acted quickly in responding to the call to action. And appreciate Captain Bas van Dreumel Volendam’s quick action. And taking the call seriously.
But also want to take a minute to thank and recognize the person that spotted the refugees. His name is Shadd Jones in 6053. And the quick action that he and his group took. And tell the story from the source.
It was about 15 minutes before we were going to go to dinner it was close to 5pm when shadd spotted the refugees boat and I confirmed that indeed it was a boat trying to get our attention. I had my wife keep eyes on them while I made the call for help after a few minutes our phone rang in our room. I answered and the security team asked if we could still see them and I said yes but just barely and gave their updated location. It was an amazing thing that took so many pieces to fall into place. If we would not have had an extra sea day because of the hurricane those people would have probably not survived another day probably not even a few more hours.
My hope in writing this is not for any recognition for myself but just hope that Holland America would take the time to recognize him. For his excellent spotting skills using only some 4×32 binoculars and the quick actions taken by the ones in his group.

P.S. A free cruise or discounted cruise for Shadd and his wife Farrah Jones would be a great gesture on Holland America’s part and would not go to waste

Sincerely Two Star Mariner, Nathan Sheffer