I know price usually goes down after final payment but...

cruiseat50

Final payment is today and I'm considering canceling because there are several suites in my category and think it will probably go down.  Do they normally drop right after or is it a week or so?  I used to keep up on these things but with Covid and other health issues I haven't been and my memory ain't what it used to be.  Yes, I know I could lose but we're retired so I could just go another time.

23 minutes ago, cruiseat50 said:

Final payment is today and I'm considering canceling because there are several suites in my category and think it will probably go down.  Do they normally drop right after or is it a week or so?  I used to keep up on these things but with Covid and other health issues I haven't been and my memory ain't what it used to be.  Yes, I know I could lose but we're retired so I could just go another time.

It's unknowable.  I usually just book an inside and when and if prices drop, upgrade to a balcony for cheap.  Otherwise, I just enjoy the cozy inside.  I sleep the same in an inside as in a suite, and afternoon naps are better.

• Like 1

Absolutely no way to know. I've had prices go low a few days before final payment. Prices often go down after the airfare promo comes off, around day 75 or 90. And prices go up.

Just make sure you aren't already in penalty - it looks like they've corrected the problem but in the past, penalty was 1 day before final pay - and it's different depending on category.

Pre-covid,  we were always last minute bookers. It worked out well for us. Post-COVID, not so much. We've actually ended up on Carnival because their rates are better.

The caveat for playing the waiting game, in my opinion, is that you have to have complete flexibility with cabin category, assignment, location, and truthfully, even itinerary. We only sleep and shower in our cabin. If you definitely need a suite in a certain location, I probably wouldn't play the waiting game. It is a personal decision in the end. Have a good cruise!

7 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Pre-covid,  we were always last minute bookers. It worked out well for us. Post-COVID, not so much. We've actually ended up on Carnival because their rates are better.

The caveat for playing the waiting game, in my opinion, is that you have to have complete flexibility with cabin category, assignment, location, and truthfully, even itinerary. We only sleep and shower in our cabin. If you definitely need a suite in a certain location, I probably wouldn't play the waiting game. It is a personal decision in the end. Have a good cruise!

I agree.  I too have been able to get better value on Carnival.  Some of their VIFP specials have been ridiculously low.  Even for a solo cruiser.  Celebrity also has been offering better deals than NCL.   NCL has given me the opportunity try re-try other cruise lines.  Acquiring more seadays with them.  My cruise next month on the Bliss the prices have gone up.

• Like 1

The problem with booking a suite is that they don't necessarily care about lowering the prices for those. They fill them through the upgrade program. So your prices may not fall at all. Or they may not fall enough to justify not getting the original cabin you wanted.

Only you can decide what is worth it to you.

3 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

So are you saying call and cancel?  If so, how long was it before the price dropped?

Call and let them know that your pricing is more than the current offer. They can pull up your reservation and see if there is anything they can do. I was told they can do a 1 time courtesy upgrade or they can connect you to a different deptpartment to see if they can give you a credit.

4 hours ago, cruiseat50 said:

I hope for a big drop after final payment, this means a low cost upgrade, I have had an inside to balcony for $10 a head in April. I realise you are already in a suite but there is still room for an upgrade.

• Like 2

I’m going on the Getaway in January my final payment was in September and the price keeps dropping. I did call and the issued me a Future cruise certificate for the difference that day  but it went down again $2800 for 12 day cruise in a club balcony is insane 

UPDATE - UNBELIEVABLE!!  I decided that I didn't want to chance it losing my suite so I called CAS.  They had said before that they couldn't give me my usual comp of an inside cabin even though I had gambled significantly more because of... blah, blah, blah.  So this time I asked them if I could at least get some OBC or something.  I got voicemail for the guy I booked with and left him a message and almost 2 hours later I decided to call and try and get someone else. She did say that they could give me a price reduction but they had to manually put it in so the email would take a while and she couldn't tell me what the discount would be but she said that it was the same cabin number.  It took quite a while and I was starting to get nervous as until I see something I'm always worried that something went wrong and the cabin was change or, etc...  I got - - - - - - - (not sure of I can say a name) and she rocks!  Not only did I get a discount it was HUGE!  It was more than half off!🤑  Still doing the happy dance in my chair while trying to type this and keep looking at the confirmation to make sure it's not a dream!😁😁

• Like 4