Was Marina's Fall 2023 refit cancelled?

Torquer

I have no specific details or knowledge to add to the conversation. However, I do recall that an Oceania official commenting on the substitution of Ember for Jacques many months ago did state that there was a corporate decision to maintain multiple points of differentiation between ship classes that drove the Ember decision. As my wife and I very much enjoy Jaques, it gives us further reason to select Riviera/Marina when all other factors point towards that selection.

BTW, we sailed Vista several months ago and gave Aquamar Kitchen glowing accolades in our review; it is definitely a positive addition.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/11/oceania-marina-to-undergo-big-refurbishment-in-may-2024/

Apologies if this was already posted. More details and confirmation of Marina's spring 2024 refit. 

Unlike Riviera, from this article, it sounds like only the “upper suites” will receive refurbishment.

I am sure there will be more Press Releases coming long before May. IMHO, I can not imagine Marina will not mirror all the changes made on Riviera. After all, they ARE sister ships. 😇👍

We have not been aboard to see the Riviera changes so will have to keep looking for that NEXT Oceania cruise on either of the O Class ships in 24 and beyond. 
Have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving and we are especially thankful for Oceania, thank you FDR, and our Oceania family. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Unlike Riviera, from this article, it sounds like only the “upper suites” will receive refurbishment.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Just because it wasn't said doesn't mean it's not going to happen. For a couple of years they've detailed the updates that will happen. But perhaps with your vast Oceania experience you have some inside knowledge on the subject. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I wouldn't read too much into that. Just because it wasn't said doesn't mean it's not going to happen. For a couple of years they've detailed the updates that will happen. But perhaps with your vast Oceania experience you have some inside knowledge on the subject. 

No flipping idea. Just mentioned what the article stated. 

Edited by Vineyard View

This is the reply my TA had from Oceania….

Further to our call, please find below the details regarding the refurbishment for the Oceania Marina:

• Our second O-class vessel, Marina, will undergo a full and extensive refurbishment in May 2024. 
  • Marina will be the final ship within Oceania Cruises’ award-winning fleet to be refurbished

·         While it will be extensive and all encompassing, it will not be to the same level of her sister ship, Riviera:

• All of the upper suites will receive a full cosmetic refresh, the same as Riviera
  • All of the penthouse suites will be completely redecorated
  • All of the staterooms will have a fabric and upholstery refresh.
  • We will not be building out entirely new bathrooms as it unfortunately cannot be accomplished within the timeframe required. 
  • All public areas will be refreshed to be in-line with Riviera.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Vallesan said:

This is the reply my TA had from Oceania….

Further to our call, please find below the details regarding the refurbishment for the Oceania Marina:

• Our second O-class vessel, Marina, will undergo a full and extensive refurbishment in May 2024. 
  • Marina will be the final ship within Oceania Cruises’ award-winning fleet to be refurbished

·         While it will be extensive and all encompassing, it will not be to the same level of her sister ship, Riviera:

• All of the upper suites will receive a full cosmetic refresh, the same as Riviera
  • All of the penthouse suites will be completely redecorated
  • All of the staterooms will have a fabric and upholstery refresh.
  • We will not be building out entirely new bathrooms as it unfortunately cannot be accomplished within the timeframe required. 
  • All public areas will be refreshed to be in-line with Riviera.

This is hugely disappointing. Now Marina will be a second-class vessel compared to Riviera. Perhaps for years. We may cancel our November 2024 cruise on Marina. We booked an alternative cruise on another line when the refit was originally canceled. 

11 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

This is hugely disappointing. Now Marina will be a second-class vessel compared to Riviera. Perhaps for years. We may cancel our November 2024 cruise on Marina. We booked an alternative cruise on another line when the refit was originally canceled. 

We were on Marina in October, our first O cruise. When we booked it last year the remodel was scheduled for May 2023. The ship still looked great to us. Enjoyed every moment.. Again, having not been on the Vista, or the remodeled Riviera, we have no basis for comparison.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

We were on the Riviera on her last but one cruise before refurbishment and I have to say she looked fine. The only issue wad that because she was going into dry dock when certain supplies ran out they weren’t replaced. Otherwise all was good.

All the Oceania ships are kept in very good order.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

At least public areas are apparently going to have all of the new features that were added to Riviera plus the new  Aquamor dining venue which we really enjoyed on Vista and Riviera does not have. I agree the half ass way O is going about this after initially promising a complete makeover is disappointing, even deceptive, compared to what was first promised. Also, the statement there is "no time to redo the bathrooms" is insulting to the intelligence of the customer, given that O sets the schedule and with the delay from original refurb date has had more than enough time to get this right. Add this to the list of Oceania's consistently customer unfriendly moves in the last several months from harsher cancelation penalties, inconsistent and mean spirited way guests who had planned holy land cruises have been treated, forcing guests to pay for excursions they don't want... Thank you Frank A.!

1 hour ago, edgee said:

At least public areas are apparently going to have all of the new features that were added to Riviera plus the new  Aquamor dining venue which we really enjoyed on Vista and Riviera does not have. I agree the half ass way O is going about this after initially promising a complete makeover is disappointing, even deceptive, compared to what was first promised. Also, the statement there is "no time to redo the bathrooms" is insulting to the intelligence of the customer, given that O sets the schedule and with the delay from original refurb date has had more than enough time to get this right. Add this to the list of Oceania's consistently customer unfriendly moves in the last several months from harsher cancelation penalties, inconsistent and mean spirited way guests who had planned holy land cruises have been treated, forcing guests to pay for excursions they don't want... Thank you Frank A.!

I will start by saying I am not an experienced O cruiser. I have followed these occurrences you reference for several months. 
I do not know when Oceania first made public  this ‘revised’ dry dock that MarkWiltonM posted of the article outlining the changes. Vallesan then confirmed through their TA the accuracy of the revision so it seems reasonable to believe the article and the TA. Maybe that will change, as has been suggested

The article posted was dated 11/21/23. The last date to cancel for the first post dry dock cruise of 5/18 was 11/19 with penalties starting on 11/20. 

Edited by Vineyard View

Just another take on this.

Certainly I don't know but I have to venture a guess that you can stack up just about everything as money decisions.  Most likely made by the accountants leaving management with no good choices.  Before assigning malicious intent perhaps what we are seeing is the reality of the post covid era.  Everything I have read indicates that O was seniors baby.  Without his presence the bankers may not be willing to give as much slack.  There seems little argument that pre covid, O gave great value and made many people happy enough to be very loyal.  is that value diminishing?  Yes, but lets not forget that much of what O has been changing to just in the last year is already pretty standard in its class.  

We are on Marina next Thanksgiving.  we had hoped for a replica of the beautiful bathroom we experienced on Riviera earlier this year.  Things happen.  Better a partial refit than none at all.  For all I know management had to fight tooth and claw to keep that. 

My experience with management across the board has generally been that the last thing they want is to make their customers mad or lose them.  and I have to believe that senior is still somewhere in the background doing his best to give advice.  The last thing he would want is to see O fail now that he left.

This is a tough time For all cruise lines and O has still managed to launch a new ship class with number two on the way.  I would also find it hard to believe that anyone would argue that the O demographic hasn't aged and that they must figure out a way to lure more cruisers who will be cruising after 2030, 2035, 2040.   And more cruisers who are willing to spend out of pocket money on the cruise itself.  On our ten day cruise in January we spent just $35 on the ship.  My wife had two drinks.  Now for us cruising O was a push that we made happen but lets face facts.  While I think O does want our business, I think that if I were management, I would prefer more people able and willing to drop hundreds or thousands on anything and everything available on board for purchase.  And I mean out of pocket, not OBC.

Anyway, now I am just ranting but my point is, I doubt management is sitting in a room thinking up ways to make people mad at them.  Much more reasonable to me to assume they are caught between a rock and a hard place and doing their best to keep their heads above water.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, edgee said:

You know if you’re not happy with Oceania’s treatment of guests don’t sail with them. Simple really!

• Like 1

Having spent 10 nights on Riviera 12/2021 and now just finishing up 20 more nights on Riviera 10-11/2023, as well as 10 nights on Sirena 11/2022, I think this is much ado about little. Wife and I mostly preferred the decor on the first cruise. I don't find what I see as "Scandinavian minimalism" as being very luxurious or warm. BUT we loved both ships and Riviera both then and now.

I still laugh as the chairs and furniture on deck 6 in the common area that are fit for children and not me, at 6' 2". They redid her and put in furniture here fit for an elementary school.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Having spent 10 nights on Riviera 12/2021 and now just finishing up 20 more nights on Riviera 10-11/2023, as well as 10 nights on Sirena 11/2022, I think this is much ado about little. Wife and I mostly preferred the decor on the first cruise. I don't find what I see as "Scandinavian minimalism" as being very luxurious or warm. BUT we loved both ships and Riviera both then and now.

I still laugh as the chairs and furniture on deck 6 in the common area that are fit for children and not me, at 6' 2". They redid her and put in furniture here fit for an elementary school.

I’ll second this. I thought it was the new Hobbit ship for Halflings! Who designed this?

• Like 1

And my thoughts on bathtubs...is impacted by having just done a B2B in an A3 first and then a B3 second (both without a bathtub). We could use the large therapy pool for free on the 1st cruise and I did 5 nights. But since we had to pay an additional charge to use it for the second cruise, I did not use it. We had only one sea day on each cruise. While I loved the large shower in the A3 I didn't need a bathtub since I used the therapy pool, BUT I missed the bathtub in the B3, since I didn't use any therapy pool. We had a bathtub in our A4 on Riviera in 12/2021.