Starlink Equipped Ships

Epinz300

1 minute ago, toad455 said:

Hearing conflicting reports on whether Anthem has it or not. Recent cruises on her have said both yes and no.

During the initial installation and testing, both can be correct.

Edited by Biker19

15 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The last time we paid for stream on Harmony it was $24.99/day and the D+ coupon was for $59.99. If I remember correctly, you could use the coupon on whichever internet option you chose. You were not limited to just surf.

The D and D+ discount (can be used to purchase any available package) has generally been based on the cost of the 24 hr Surf package which currently is $26-28.

7 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The D and D+ discount (can be used to purchase any available package) has generally been based on the cost of the 24 hr Surf package which currently is $26-28.

Your numbers are probably correct, although surf no longer appears to exist (at least on the ships we sail every month).

Off the coast of Puerto Rico about 2 hours from San Juan. Apparently the speed is affected largely by which landslide service that Starling connects with. We have gotten anywhere from 40 Mbps download to up to 150 Mbps in a mater of a few minutes depending on which service provider Starlink connects with:

08B3C0F5-2CBE-448C-8D29-6F968C23371F.png

12 hours ago, orville99 said:

Off the coast of Puerto Rico about 2 hours from San Juan. Apparently the speed is affected largely by which landslide service that Starling connects with. We have gotten anywhere from 40 Mbps download to up to 150 Mbps in a mater of a few minutes depending on which service provider Starlink connects with:

08B3C0F5-2CBE-448C-8D29-6F968C23371F.png

Which ship is this?

20 minutes ago, TheHomelessCruiser said:

Jewel is ten times faster than that now.  Never though Jewel would outperform an Oasis class for internet.  

A bit unusual, but on the other hand, it only needs to be so fast. I'm streaming Youtube in 4K right now without a problem. 

Edited by PlanetX

5 hours ago, TheHomelessCruiser said:

Jewel is ten times faster than that now.  Never though Jewel would outperform an Oasis class for internet.  

Welcome to CC and coming out of a very long lurk mode.

Don't count on that speed advantage for long.

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Don't count on that speed advantage for long.

Equally as likely as more people experience the true capabilities of Starlink that RCL will face a withering barrage of questions as to why it is purposely throttling down the service. DW downloaded an audio book from Hoopla yesterday in under a minute. On Harmony’s O3B system that same process took several hours.

Edited by orville99

12 minutes ago, orville99 said:

a withering barrage of questions as to why it is purposely throttling down the service.

Download/upload speed has always been limited, the only thing that changed slightly over the years is that limit. Sat based internet shared by 3-10k people has to be managed somehow. 

25 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Download/upload speed has always been limited, the only thing that changed slightly over the years is that limit. Sat based internet shared by 3-10k people has to be managed somehow. 

Just your hypothesis. Reality is that there are 2200+ pax on jewel this week  (cruise was sold out), and the speed is outstanding. Even if you triple the number of users, you still get an orders of magnitude increase over O3B. As Ricky said to Lucy, they got some splaining to do if they purposely throttle the service.

Edited by orville99

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

Just your hypothesis

Other than when testing (and it happened also when O3B was introduced), RCI has always limited the speed on their ships, that’s not hypothesis. Most reporting suggests that once testing of the installation is complete, ships go back to their pre -Starlink speed limits. Again, not hypothesis. It could be that RCI may rethink the level of the limit, but the chances that it will stay at current numbers your are seeing are very low. Curious, do you ask for an explanation of your home ISP why they limit their speeds?

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Other than when testing (and it happened also when O3B was introduced), RCI has always limited the speed on their ships, that’s not hypothesis. Most reporting suggests that once testing of the installation is complete, ships go back to their pre -Starlink speed limits. Again, not hypothesis. It could be that RCI may rethink the level of the limit, but the chances that it will stay at current numbers your are seeing are very low. Curious, do you ask for an explanation of your home ISP why they limit their speeds?

My home ISP doesn’t limit their speeds. I have a 1 gig service and i always get 900+ Mbps download speeds on my systems.

I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this. IMO RCL has established a first mover strategic competitive advantage, and it would be foolhardy to squander it. Only time will tell which of us is right, but my money’s on strategy over strangulation.

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Most reporting suggests that once testing of the installation is complete, ships go back to their pre -Starlink speed limits.

This is the virtual dictionary definition of a hypothesis - an assumption of fact based solely on anecdotal information.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

This is the virtual dictionary definition of a hypothesis - an assumption of fact based solely on anecdotal information.

Can you link to any post which mentions a Starlink equipped ship which has completed its installation more than two months ago which has a higher than "normal" speed limit? Do you routinely discuss Voom installation progress with knowledgeable staff on your cruises? Do you read every Voom related post here at CC to see the trend? 

14 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Can you link to any post which mentions a Starlink equipped ship which has completed its installation more than two months ago which has a higher than "normal" speed limit? Do you routinely discuss Voom installation progress with knowledgeable staff on your cruises? Do you read every Voom related post here at CC to see the trend? 

No, and neither can you, so put your high horse back in the barn.

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

No, and neither can you, so put your high horse back in the barn.

That's my whole point - I have a slightly more educated and informed data set with which I make my guess at what RCI might do with Voom speeds after a Starlink install.

Biker, who does speak with Voom knowledgeable staff on every cruise and does read every Voom related thread/post.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 9:12 AM, toad455 said:

Hearing conflicting reports on whether Anthem has it or not.

I'm onboard Anthem of the Seas currently. You may find this Terminal output interesting as it seems to suggest that we are using Starlink. However, the speed and reliability, even at the moment, wouldn't suggest it.

marc@Marcs-Mac ~ % host 129.222.80.119

119.80.222.129.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer customer.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net.

marc@Marcs-Mac ~ % host 98.97.175.1

1.175.97.98.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer customer.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net.

image.thumb.png.eade53b17cda9b736068d845134589e5.png

Edited by Daghis
  • Like 1