Live from NCL Bliss Haven 2BR 11/20/22 to Mexican Riviera

mmooreark

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

mmooreark was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hi everyone!  I’m currently on the Bliss, so if anyone has any questions, I will try to answer what I can.  Trying to do this from my phone, so sorry for any typos.  

This is my 6th cruise, all in the last 8 years, 3rd on NCL and 2nd in The Haven.  Traveling with my 81year old mom, my wife and 14 and 11 year old sons.  

We flew in the night before and stayed at the Aloft El Segundo by LAX, which was a block away from an In-n-Out Burger.  Don’t get those very often, so might as well.  The hotel was nice and they rearranged to give us connecting rooms.  Staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms were clean but pretty small.  Would definitely stay there again.  

We took an Uber car and Lyft XL (van) to the San Pedro cruise terminal because of the 5 people and luggage.  The Lyft van might have squeezed us in, but it wasn’t worth trying.  I also thought it would be interesting to see how they both did. Uber was delayed a little, but finally got there 15 minutes late and after Lyft, but no big deal.  Not much traffic, so the trip was only about 30 minutes.  Uber was about $35 for the car and Lyft XL was $44, before a discount they had running for 50% off up to $8 for three rides.  Lyft is cheaper out here right now, but I know that can change.  TIP: Have the driver drop you off as close to the end of the luggage drop off building as possible.  You’ll be walking towards the palm trees to get through security, so the closer you are to that the better.  If it’s busy, I guess you take what you can get, but if you need a shorter walk like my Mom did, bring closer helped.  

Haven in San Pedro:  I happed to notice a Haven sign that a guy was holding and then sticking back in his back pocket.  I’m not sure where he was normally, but I went over and asked where we supposed to go.  He let us through and we didn’t have to walk through the long line that had formed.  Haven security is to the right, compared to the regular line.  It wasn’t that easy to see Haven signs, compared to Seattle, but basically you keep going right.  Again, everyone was very nice and we had no issues.  The waiting area was just regular chairs compared to the Seattle couches and comfy seats (Seattle was amazing!).  Typical snacks while you wait.  Boarding was already happening by 11:15, so we only waited for a wheelchair and off we went.  I think getting to the port to getting on the ship was 30 minutes, only because one of us doesn’t walk quickly and then we asked for a wheelchair, so waited about 10 minutes for that.  Very quick and efficient check in process and again, very nice people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

We took our Haven tour, met John Dsouza the concierge, Xinmu He the assistant concierge, Fanny Garcia the butler, and Mario Rufo the steward. John helped with a confiscated noise machine that security took from my luggage and Xinmu made reservations for us.  Everybody so far has been great, except for the security people that decided we didn’t need a noise blocking fan.  It went with us to Alaska this summer on the Encore, so not sure what that was about.  When we got back from a comedy show, it was back in the room, so John and Fanny got it sorted out!

The Haven restaurant for lunch and dinner didn’t disappoint.  

We saw Dylan Mandisohn for the “family friendly” comedy show and all thought he was very funny.  Will definitely have to go back and see the adult version.  

The dailies aren’t wanting to upload, I’ll work on this later.

We area also doing San Pedro next month in Haven, so it was great hearing from someone who just did it.  We'll keep and eye out for folks with signs or just signs in general.

Was the part he "let you through" the security line?  Wasn't sure if everyone had to go through that together then you got to head for the Haven line after that.

Scooter- It looked like they had just opened an Extension of the security line that went under a canopy to the right, so it was snaking around.  We didn’t have to do that.  If the line was shorter I’m not sure if the Haven line would have just been to the right, but he opened the line up and let us through and we didn’t have to go through the whole line.  I’m sure it’s impossible to understand what I’m trying to say.  Basically, when you go in a building for the first time, I would look for a Haven sign or ask someone where you go for Haven, as we could have missed it and walked through a large line by mistake.  I just saw him tuck his Haven sign in his back pocket, so I asked when I got close to him.  Saved us a lot of time and walking, for sure.

Edited by mmooreark
  • Like 1

We are doing the Bliss in January (unfortunately not the Haven though!).

Did you happen to see the embarkation line for the non-Haven folks?

Do you know if Splash Academy is running like usual (I have a 4 year old)?

**Did you happen to feel the earthquake that just happened in Baja?! Hope all is ok.

Can't wait to hear more thoughts about the Bliss! Thanks!

I know that you did not have to book reservations for the main theater but is it easy to do once you are on board. Do you know where we can go to book them? We will be on the Bliss this coming Sunday. Are the shows crowded? 
Thank you in advance

What time was your room ready?  I'm on the next cruise in an Aft Haven Penthouse and will be carrying on my one small suitcase.  I plan to wait to arrive at the port a little later so hopefully I can go straight to my room.

mmoorerark:    We have sailed many times with John the concierge, last time Sept. this year on Bliss, Alaska.  thought he was going on his 
"leave" before the Ship repositioned to Mexico.  He was excited about spending Christmas with his family.  Could you possibly ask him if he scheduled to be home for Christmas??

16 hours ago, DaggoB said:

I know that you did not have to book reservations for the main theater but is it easy to do once you are on board. Do you know where we can go to book them? We will be on the Bliss this coming Sunday. Are the shows crowded? 
Thank you in advance

There are a few ways to book shows onboard, all quite easy.

While waiting to board you can usually grab the ships Wi-Fi and connect the my NCL app and reserve whatever you need. 
once on board you can book through the interactive kiosk displays (near elevators and other scattered locations), at the theater box office, or head directly to the social (deck 6 mid) and fill out all of your requested dates/times.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JamesIowa said:

There are a few ways to book shows onboard, all quite easy.

While waiting to board you can usually grab the ships Wi-Fi and connect the my NCL app and reserve whatever you need. 
once on board you can book through the interactive kiosk displays (near elevators and other scattered locations), at the theater box office, or head directly to the social (deck 6 mid) and fill out all of your requested dates/times.

When you are booking reservations for shows are you reserving specific seats or is it general admission?

27 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

When you are booking reservations for shows are you reserving specific seats or is it general admission?

General admission.  The Haven has rows reserved, but otherwise it is just general admission.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mmooreark said:

Let's try this again, from a laptop...  Freestyle Daily, Day 1 and 2

IMG-5175.jpg

Thank you!

Is Starbucks still there? I didn't see it listed as a dining option. Thinking of getting the Starbucks plan but not sure how crazy the lines are and if the plan is worth it.

3 hours ago, mmooreark said:

Let's try this again, from a laptop...  Freestyle Daily, Day 1 and 2

IMG-5277.jpg

IMG-5278.jpg

IMG-5279.jpg

IMG-5280.jpg

IMG-5172.jpg

IMG-5173.jpg

IMG-5174.jpg

IMG-5175.jpg

We were on this cruise 13th - 20th.   We had Six on Days 2-3,   7 and 9:30 showtimes and Jersey Boys on Days 5-6,  6:30 and 9:30 showtimes.  So they do change from week to week.  Main theater Days 1,4, and 7 had Beatlemania Shows.   

Like restaurants, the theater shows are subjective.  We thought Jersey Boys was really, really good.  One of the better shows we have ever seen on a cruise ship.  Beatle shows better than expected, Six was just so so.  We had seen Six before.  Maybe that was why we were a little underwhelmed.  I still recommend watching them all.

Thanks for all the great info. 

I'm curious to know the weather as you are cruising.  We are doing the 5 day this Sunday and have seen temps at one of the ports, Ensenada, that are going down to the 30's in the evening.  Don't know if it's real chilly on the ship.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, zimme08 said:

I'm curious to know the weather as you are cruising.  We are doing the 5 day this Sunday and have seen temps at one of the ports, Ensenada, that are going down to the 30's in the evening.  Don't know if it's real chilly on the ship.

Thanks!

We are also doing the 5 days this Sunday. I have been monitoring the weather. This is what the weather channel is showing for the day we will arrive. 

Thu 01 | Day

66°
2%
W 9 mph

Sunny, along with a few afternoon clouds. High 66F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.

• Humidity47%
  • UV Index3 of 10
  • Sunrise6:28 am
  • Sunset4:41 pm

Thu 01 | Night

50°
7%
NE 4 mph

A few clouds from time to time. Low around 50F. Winds light and variable.

• Humidity72%
  • UV Index0 of 10
  • Moonrise1:07 pm
    Waxing Gibbous
  • Moonset12:07 am

2 hours ago, zimme08 said:

Thanks!

Cabo was warm, 75-80, Puerto Vallarta was 83, today Mazatlan should be around 81.  It cools off at night and is always cooler when sailing.  My wife can think she needs a coat for anything below 80 (😂), but it has been really nice for us normal people.  My mom thinks it is chilly at times, but yesterday I said it’s hot in here and she said  it’s cold at the same time.  Bring a sweater or jacket if you tend to be chilly.  

Ensenada appears to be mainly between 50-70 for the next 10 days or so, so that’s not bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goldconnection said:

We are also doing the 5 days this Sunday. I have been monitoring the weather. This is what the weather channel is showing for the day we will arrive. 

Thu 01 | Day

66°
2%
W 9 mph

• Humidity47%
  • UV Index3 of 10

Thu 01 | Night

50°
7%
NE 4 mph

• Humidity72%
  • UV Index0 of 10
    Waxing Gibbous

2 hours ago, Goldconnection said:

Thu 01 | Day

66°
2%
W 9 mph

• Humidity47%
  • UV Index3 of 10

Thu 01 | Night

50°
7%
NE 4 mph

• Humidity72%
  • UV Index0 of 10
    Waxing Gibbous

Thanks so much.  what I was seeing on Accuweather and 3 other sites was lows of 28-30, brrr.

2 hours ago, mmooreark said:

Cabo was warm, 75-80, Puerto Vallarta was 83, today Mazatlan should be around 81.  It cools off at night and is always cooler when sailing.  My wife can think she needs a coat for anything below 80 (😂), but it has been really nice for us normal people.  My mom thinks it is chilly at times, but yesterday I said it’s hot in here and she said  it’s cold at the same time.  Bring a sweater or jacket if you tend to be chilly.  

Ensenada appears to be mainly between 50-70 for the next 10 days or so, so that’s not bad.

Great info and I thank you.  Your temperatures are definitely better than what I am seeing on Accuweather and 3 other sites.  Enjoy the rest of your trip!