Gratuities for excursions?

Chads2600

I rebooked an excursion for our Feb 23 sailing for additional savings.  The black Friday deal had it for 35% off.  We had previously booked at a 15% discount. This ended up being around a $60 savings.  Instead the total went from $304 to $310.  I ran the math and determined they charged me 24% additional in taxes and gratuities from the base price, equaling 18% gratuities and 6% sales tax.  Is this new? I didn't get charged gratuities when we originally booked the excursion.

59 minutes ago, Chads2600 said:

I rebooked an excursion for our Feb 23 sailing for additional savings.  The black Friday deal had it for 35% off.  We had previously booked at a 15% discount. This ended up being around a $60 savings.  Instead the total went from $304 to $310.  I ran the math and determined they charged me 24% additional in taxes and gratuities from the base price, equaling 18% gratuities and 6% sales tax.  Is this new? I didn't get charged gratuities when we originally booked the excursion.

I don't recall ever being charged taxes or gratuities. 

• Like 1

Something is wrong. I've booked many and NEVER pay taxes or gratuities on excursions. Since they started their Black Friday sale I've heard many having screwy issues with pricing 

Edited by sailor05

5 hours ago, sailor05 said:

Something is wrong. I've booked many and NEVER pay taxes or gratuities on excursions. Since they started their Black Friday sale I've heard many having screwy issues with pricing 

They have been charging VAT on Coco Cay purchases (not that this is applicable to the original post)

• Thanks 1

The way Royal contracts their excursions is they pay the provider a certain amount per passenger and then they upcharge for their "piece of the pie".  When Royal discounts an excursion, they're just lowering how much they will make on it.  Gratuities have never been included.  Sales tax in Mexico is 16%.

Also, your post only gives some of the info.   Can you post what the original price was before the 15% off, what the 15% discount saved you and the same for the 35% off?   

I saw several cases of prices being different in cart versus when I booked (after cancelling).  Had to check each one before committing to the purchase. 

That price is terrible for Dolphin Discovery at Chankanaab.  You are far better off booking direct, which includes park entry and the ability to stay as long as you like.  Just add around $20 each way for a taxi down to the park (which you can likely share with other people going there).  The VIP Royal Swim (two dolphins/roman ride) is currently priced at $103.35pp.  Note that photos are extra both through cruise line or not and can run $100 or more. https://www.*****cozumel/