Better off if I Did have covid?

D. B.

On 11/25/2022 at 9:22 PM, D. B. said:

Well I do have insurance but it will probably have some exclusion for my possible claim.

Most of my Shore excursions were booked through an outside source and even though I paid for Their Insurance it denied my cancelation because it was less that 14 days before the excursion and Not medical.  I attempted to cancel the ones I booked through Celebrity but so far I have not seen any refunds.

Looks like my Specialty Dining Package and WiFi upgrade package money  will probably be lost. 

I just had a MoveUp cabin upgrade approved for $1000 days ago so that's gone also.

I guess I was Lucky this didn't happen While I was on my 15 Hour Flight or after sailing?

I booked this a Year ago and was looking forward to it like a kid looks forward to Christmas!

I had Covid last April (from my Granddaughter) and it was very mild almost asymptomatic but testing positive days before a cruise with Royal so They said Don't come (no test result proof required) and I had a full refund in 2 weeks. Thats why I said maybe I would have been better off if I did get Covid IF it was as mild as that time. I have had all the shots and even the booster a month ago.

To those who have had Covid with worse results than I have I didn't mean to make lite of how bad it Can be.

Had a similar issue when accounts were hacked.  Can only offer the following.  Always 2 cards with different banks and credit profile shut.   I do not bank on line.  Paper statements.   

Anything trip related is on Chase Sapphire when there is cancellation insurance and they could have coordinated covering real charges and stopped fake ones.  They were great when it happened to us on a ship on the way to Italy for an extended stay overseas.  Took 3 phone calls and they cleaned up the mess.

My credit card number was copied at a restaurant and then evidently sold.  I now walk my card to the register in the USA unless I know the people.

Refunds for shore excursions will take weeks - sorry this happened

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Anything trip related is on Chase Sapphire when there is cancellation insurance and they could have coordinated covering real charges and stopped fake ones. 

Just made final payment on a cruise today using this card.  Can you talk more about the insurance?  Is this some sort of automatic trip insurance?

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:30 AM, cyntil8ing said:

Sorry, but this question has been nagging me for days. Do you use the same password on all of your accounts? Because I cannot imagine how multiple banks and multiple credit cards were all hit at the same time. Did you recently install any software based on a call from Microsoft? Did a household employee suddenly disappear? Did a family member recently seem to come into some money? Are the police involved? 

I am sorry this happened to you and sorry you had to cancel. I'm really interested in how it occurred, because the usual ways wouldn't involve multiple banks and credit card issuers.

I looks like it was from someone getting in through my PayPal account as I had that linked to my checking account and my credit card with a different bank. They were the ones hit and a separate card from a different bank was not hit.

My Bank and Credit cards denied payment on these charges and after pointing out to Celebrity that I Cruise with them a Lot (and have 8 future cruises booked) they gave me a $500 OBC for my next one in Feb. 2023.

Police didn't want to even take a report  but My bank and credit card providers have been great to work with.

I have all my cards and bank accounts set to notify me by Text and Emil of Any activity and I'm glad I had those alerts.

Now Off to Sydney for the second of my B2B's.

One thing is that I don't have my credit card and bank info stored in Paypal.  When I do receive payment via Paypal and I had to add my bank account to transfer money into my bank, I delete my bank info the moment the money has been transferred.

1 hour ago, Retired888 said:

One thing is that I don't have my credit card and bank info stored in Paypal.  When I do receive payment via Paypal and I had to add my bank account to transfer money into my bank, I delete my bank info the moment the money has been transferred.

I don"t do business with Paypal anymore myself...

Sorry I don't quite understand what there is to "deal with" other than cancelling and reissuing the affected credit cards!? Certainly nothing that's grounds for cancelling a whole overseas trip.

OP cancelled his travels and lost $5000, a much worse damage than any cc fraud could have ever caused since that's all covered by the banks.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 2:09 AM, D. B. said:

I wish it was That simple.😄 this happened 6 hours before I was leaving Home (and the USA) for 30 days.

My problem was that from half a world away I could not make the changes to all my  automatic deposits and monthly payments because my Checking Account and Credit Card numbers had to be changed. +My bills would Not have been paid and my outstanding checks would have bounced.

Why would your checks bounce? They are tied to your checking account and there is zero reason why you would have to cancel your checkbook (who uses checks in 2022?).

I dealt with exactly that situation two weeks ago while I was already abroad here in Asia. Chase emailed me that my CSR was compromised and indeed there were a couple of illicit transactions on there. They took care of these while talking to them and then FedEx'd me a replacement card overseas. Had it in my hands 4 business days later in Thailand. Excellent service by Chase.

Your worry about a few potentially unpaid bills caused you to cancel your entire trip and lose five grand. Sorry for that situation but I think you overreacted here and it cost you dearly. In the time it took you to cancel everything for flights and cruise you could have taken care of 80% of these potential problems, swapping important payments such as insurance to a credit card that was still good.

As another poster mentioned above, this should be a lesson for everyone not to make any hasty decisions.

On 12/1/2022 at 3:41 AM, Fly and Sail said:

Why would your checks bounce? They are tied to your checking account and there is zero reason why you would have to cancel your checkbook (who uses checks in 2022?).

I dealt with exactly that situation two weeks ago while I was already abroad here in Asia. Chase emailed me that my CSR was compromised and indeed there were a couple of illicit transactions on there. They took care of these while talking to them and then FedEx'd me a replacement card overseas. Had it in my hands 4 business days later in Thailand. Excellent service by Chase.

Your worry about a few potentially unpaid bills caused you to cancel your entire trip and lose five grand. Sorry for that situation but I think you overreacted here and it cost you dearly. In the time it took you to cancel everything for flights and cruise you could have taken care of 80% of these potential problems, swapping important payments such as insurance to a credit card that was still good.

As another poster mentioned above, this should be a lesson for everyone not to make any hasty decisions.

Having never faced a situation like this and having to get it all "Fixed" in a few hours was overwhelming for my 80 year old brain.

I'm glad for You to be so composed in your situation. 

The credit card company I have refused to send a replacement card out of the country, and I would have been on a Cruise Ship so even if they would how would I get it while at Sea?

My biggest concern was that the hackers could compromise other areas of my finances as they had not only made charges to my credit cards but also my checking accounts. Yes I do still write checks but keep the accounts mostly to Receive my monthly income deposits and pay monthly bills with pre-approved arrangements that all had to be notified of the New credit card and account numbers.

So I was Not concerned with Checks Bouncing but with bills not getting paid because the New account numbers had to get registered. 

It seems people like Fly and Sail are way smarter than I am but that's not surprising to me.