How Does Any Time Dining Work

mcrcruiser

Hi Cliff!

We have always used AYW (As You Wish) dining as going when we wished -- to either dining room (where we would tell the M'd sit us wherever makes your life easier and not waiting to be seated), Lido, or specialty -- with no one missing us for not showing up. 

It seems from many questions and answers on this Board, that lots of people want to use AYW dining to have a fixed dining time, and preferentially same table and servers -- just not at the conventional early or late times. Those that practice this can pipe up and tell you how to fix it, whether by phone, Navigator, or in person.

Yes, as @crystalspinmentioned, you can show up whenever you want, not only before 6:30.  Some times are busier than others so I make a point to arrive at less popular times and I have never had to wait more than about 5 minutes.  When I'm traveling solo, I ask for a table for one and they usually ask if I want to share.  I say no and they give me my requested table.

~Nancy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Hi Cliff!

We have always used AYW (As You Wish) dining as going when we wished -- to either dining room (where we would tell the M'd sit us wherever makes your life easier and not waiting to be seated), Lido, or specialty -- with no one missing us for not showing up. 

It seems from many questions and answers on this Board, that lots of people want to use AYW dining to have a fixed dining time, and preferentially same table and servers -- just not at the conventional early or late times. Those that practice this can pipe up and tell you how to fix it, whether by phone, Navigator, or in person.

Thanks again Crystal  ,you came to our rescue 😃 . We do have speciality restaurants booked  ,all 3 of them  . So this will definitely make it easier  than the fixed dining times 

Cliff

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

You can walk up and request your preference or you can make a reservation on the app or with the maitre d.   You can make a single reservation or for multiple days. You can even request a specific table with advanced reservations. There are no guarantees of course. 

We always do Any Time Dining and it works perfectly.  Sometimes we do specialty dining.  Sometimes we eat in the Lido.  When we go to the dining room I always tell them the same thing - happy to sit with other people at a table for 6.  A table for 10 is out of the question and sometimes a table for 8 means that dinner will take that much longer.  We've met many lovely people at dinner over the years doing it this way.

Helen

• Like 2

Is there a reason for the specific "6:30" time you mention?

We always get "our time" dining, no matter what cruise line, unless there's no choice whatsoever (rare, but it happens).

We prefer a two-top, and we show up when we are ready to eat.  Simple!

On our last cruise, 2 weeks in NZ/Australia, on the 2nd or 3rd night, we had a dynamite waiter.  Really special.  So after that, we always asked for a table with him, and of course we were willing to wait a bit if necessary, as we did not call in advance.

It was sort of the "best of old and new":  a table for two at our choice of time that particular evening, AND a server who got to know our preferences and was incredibly pleasant, etc.

It didn't take very long for him to see us coming (he may have been alerted a bit sooner by the maître d'?), and our preferred breads (one regular, one gluten free) and sparkling water, etc., were already being brought over, etc.

That was our first trip with HAL.  We weren't sure what to expect, but we were *very* pleased.  And as classical music lovers, the quality of that chamber group in Lincoln Center was a real delight!  What a nice surprise that was. 🙂 

GC

• Like 5

Anytime dining means just that!  Show up any time during normal dining hours.  The concept is quite unique in that folks can actually dine when they please 🙂 When we get to the door we simply tell the host if we want to share a large table or perhaps something smaller.  The best fun is that with sharing we meet many other cruisers and have lots of interesting dinners.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1