Alaska Newbies

nolegirl01

Hey everyone! We are wanting to book a cruise at the end of September to Alaska. Since we've never been, I've been doing a little research on the best itineraries but I figured I would ask you all your opinions. A little bit about us... It'll just be my husband and myself, we are both in our mid-30s and loooove the outdoors. We also love doing cool adventures like atv riding, zip lining and even just great hiking. We love to experience new things and see new things. We are from South FL and have done mostly caribbean cruises so we are in a new territory. We are soooo excited to see the beautiful scenery up north!

Which were your favorite ports?
Which were your least favorite ports?
What was something that you did in a specific port that was amazing and would recommend?
Any tips and tricks for newbies to Alaska?

10 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

Hey everyone! We are wanting to book a cruise at the end of September to Alaska. Since we've never been, I've been doing a little research on the best itineraries but I figured I would ask you all your opinions. A little bit about us... It'll just be my husband and myself, we are both in our mid-30s and loooove the outdoors. We also love doing cool adventures like atv riding, zip lining and even just great hiking. We love to experience new things and see new things. We are from South FL and have done mostly caribbean cruises so we are in a new territory. We are soooo excited to see the beautiful scenery up north!

Which were your favorite ports?
Which were your least favorite ports?
What was something that you did in a specific port that was amazing and would recommend?
Any tips and tricks for newbies to Alaska?

Welcome to the Alaska Board.

You will find lots of great information on ports and itineraries and the pros/cons of cruising Alaska in many of these threads.

I noted you are planning to cruise at the end of September, which other than October, is potentially the worst time to cruise Alaska. The number of cruises available is reduced, as many of the ships from experienced Alaska cruise lines are already heading south, for a number of good reasons

- Weather is always variable, but the probability of storms and rain increases significantly about mid-September

- Daylight is significantly reduced by late September, since the longest day is about 21st June. If you want off-season, May is a better choice, since it has a better probability of being drier and the days are considerably longer. May has the added bonus of still having snow on the mountains.

- Visibility can be reduced significantly by precipitation, low clouds and even fog.

- Businesses are closing down or have already closed for the season.

Another early decision is how much of Alaska do you want to see, which can then limit your embarkation port. From Seattle, you must cruise R/T, so in a week they can only visit the touristy SE Alaska ports and the ships spend lots of time in the Pacific Ocean, which can be rough at that time of year. If you wish to see Prince William Sound or even take an pre/post cruise extension, then you are looking at a North/South bound cruise starting or ending in Vancouver. Vancouver based ships spend more time in the sheltered Inside Passage.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Welcome to the Alaska Board.

You will find lots of great information on ports and itineraries and the pros/cons of cruising Alaska in many of these threads.

I noted you are planning to cruise at the end of September, which other than October, is potentially the worst time to cruise Alaska. The number of cruises available is reduced, as many of the ships from experienced Alaska cruise lines are already heading south, for a number of good reasons

- Weather is always variable, but the probability of storms and rain increases significantly about mid-September

- Daylight is significantly reduced by late September, since the longest day is about 21st June. If you want off-season, May is a better choice, since it has a better probability of being drier and the days are considerably longer. May has the added bonus of still having snow on the mountains.

- Visibility can be reduced significantly by precipitation, low clouds and even fog.

Another early decision is how much of Alaska do you want to see, which can then limit your embarkation port. From Seattle, you must cruise R/T, so in a week they can only visit the touristy SE Alaska ports and the ships spend lots of time in the Pacific Ocean, which can be rough at that time of year. If you wish to see Prince William Sound or even take an pre/post cruise extension, then you are looking at a North/South bound cruise starting or ending in Vancouver. Vancouver based ships spend more time in the sheltered Inside Passage.

Oh wow thank you for this! I had no idea! We picked September because I read somewhere you have a greater chance of seeing the Northern Lights and also my birthday is in September. But after reading your very informative post, we might have to reconsider going in September.

Would you say the North/Sound bound cruises are better in terms of what you get to see and experience than the Round Trip from Seattle? We don't have a preference as we don't know since we've never been but if you say the North/Sound bound cruises ending or starting in Vancouver are better in terms of ports and things to see and do, we will definitely look into it!

23 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

Oh wow thank you for this! I had no idea! We picked September because I read somewhere you have a greater chance of seeing the Northern Lights and also my birthday is in September. But after reading your very informative post, we might have to reconsider going in September.

Would you say the North/Sound bound cruises are better in terms of what you get to see and experience than the Round Trip from Seattle? We don't have a preference as we don't know since we've never been but if you say the North/Sound bound cruises ending or starting in Vancouver are better in terms of ports and things to see and do, we will definitely look into it!

When considering Seattle R/T of a N/S Itinerary, I would take into consideration that Seattle in about 100 miles further from Alaska than Vancouver, and the Seattle ships must stop in Victoria for at least a few hours.

Therefore, I would look not only at the ports of call, but also the times you are in port, as the Seattle ships have to sail at a higher speed, or reduced the time in port.

25 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

Also we were planning on using Royal Caribbean to Alaska but I also read Princess cruises are great for Alaska itineraries.... which do you all recommend as the best ship or other cruise companies for Alaska cruises?

Of the cruise lines in Alaska, Princess and HAL have the most experience. While we personally don't use Princess anymore, I worked and cruised with them for 40 yrs, and provided you like mega ships have no issue recommending them to others.

Another factor to consider is viewing glaciers. Many, myself included, will suggest that Glacier Bay is a must on any Alaska Cruise. Does it have the best glaciers - No, but having spent 2 entire seasons in Alaska and numerous additional cruises as a pax, I have never failed to get into Glacier Bay. With respect to other glaciers, I have only made it into Tracy Arm once and even Hubbard has been missed a few times due to ice.

If Glacier Bay is important to you, this further restricts your cruise line options, as not all cruise lines have permits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Of the cruise lines in Alaska, Princess and HAL have the most experience. While we personally don't use Princess anymore, I worked and cruised with them for 40 yrs, and provided you like mega ships have no issue recommending them to others.

Another factor to consider is viewing glaciers. Many, myself included, will suggest that Glacier Bay is a must on any Alaska Cruise. Does it have the best glaciers - No, but having spent 2 entire seasons in Alaska and numerous additional cruises as a pax, I have never failed to get into Glacier Bay. With respect to other glaciers, I have only made it into Tracy Arm once and even Hubbard has been missed a few times due to ice.

If Glacier Bay is important to you, this further restricts your cruise line options, as not all cruise lines have permits.

ohh good to know! You rock, thank you so much for taking the time to give all this info! It's been super helpful!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If you want off-season, May is a better choice, since it has a better probability of being drier and the days are considerably longer. May has the added bonus of still having snow on the mountains.

Would you say May is the best time to sail to Alaska? or are there any other months which you think are better? 

17 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

Would you say May is the best time to sail to Alaska? or are there any other months which you think are better? 

Just a few comments from someone who lives in Alaska -- In my opinion May is a better month than September.  While our weather patterns are becoming rather unpredictable May historically is a drier month.  While SE Alaska experiences significant rain September generally is the start of their rainy season.  June and July are popular due to the greater amount of daylight.  

I am not one of the folks who feels that Glacier Bay is a "must."  Just ensure that your itinerary includes a glacier.  There are also excursions at some of the ports which visit glaciers, such as Mendenhall Glacier out of Juneau.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

Just a few comments from someone who lives in Alaska -- In my opinion May is a better month than September.  While our weather patterns are becoming rather unpredictable May historically is a drier month.  While SE Alaska experiences significant rain September generally is the start of their rainy season.  June and July are popular due to the greater amount of daylight.  

I am not one of the folks who feels that Glacier Bay is a "must."  Just ensure that your itinerary includes a glacier.  There are also excursions at some of the ports which visit glaciers, such as Mendenhall Glacier out of Juneau.

Another thought to get to see glaciers that most people do not think about.  If you are cruising in or out of Whittier there are some really good glacier day cruises out of Whittier.  I am not recommending this specific company as I have not done a tour w them but this is an example of the Whittier day cruises - https://phillipscruises.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkMGcBhCSARIsAIW6d0DekrLPeAWA3ab1_sM9XcMqE2NWGIfIDnp_pz2a-vR5B_EvAga-oAQaAv43EALw_wcB

DON

• Like 2

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Another thought to get to see glaciers that most people do not think about.  If you are cruising in or out of Whittier there are some really good glacier day cruises out of Whittier.  I am not recommending this specific company as I have not done a tour w them but this is an example of the Whittier day cruises - https://phillipscruises.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkMGcBhCSARIsAIW6d0DekrLPeAWA3ab1_sM9XcMqE2NWGIfIDnp_pz2a-vR5B_EvAga-oAQaAv43EALw_wcB

DON

I have done a tour with them and it was fantastic. Glaciers w/Whales and Otters galore! 

4 hours ago, nolegirl01 said:

Almost every month has positives and negatives, with May it should be drier and has longer daylight. However, the salmon wouldn't be running.

5 hours ago, nolegirl01 said:

I suggest looking at what your must haves are for each port first. For example one trip bears were on my must have list and I wanted to do them out of Ketchikan, that decided my month/options. There is a season for best viewing probability so I went stacking my odds in my favor, worked out great! That year meant June for me. 

May can still be icy getting to glaciers. There is no bad time but depending on what you're wanting most can determine better times. 

Pick a cruise line, that has a sailing with the most amount of port hours then look at excursions and make your list. Try not to worry about the ship if Alaska is really what you're after. Ive sailed Princess and Celebrity in Alaska. 

Alaska gives many people sticker shock, start planning your budget. For me tours are most important so the stateroom comes last but many people love a balcony, I am always top deck. 

Here are some tours I've done and loved...

Hubbard Glacier is massive and imo a must have. Glacier Bay is very nice and many will say you must have it but I was not blown away. Tracy Arm Fjord is beautiful but the glacier view can be limited because of weather/ice. 

Ketchikan:

Bears twice once to Anan and once to Traitors Cove with Island Wings.

Floatplane with landing in Misty Fjord Monument.

Adventure Karts. 

Skagway:

Rented a car and went to the Yukon on our own. 

Train Ride is gorgeous but no adventure. I'm retuning this July and will take the train and get off to hike to Laughton Glacier. 

Zip line fun but typical. 

The jet boat was super fun and much more educational than I expected. It was great!

ISP:

ATV's and the Zip Rider... A BLAST! Will be doing it again. 

Juneau:

Whale Watch got lucky with a bubble feed, it was spectacular. 

Mendenhall Glacier 

Canoed and hiked Mendenhall glacier, was able to explore an ice cave. HighLight of my life! 

If beginning or ending in Vancouver: 

Fabulous city, walk or bike Stanley Park. Very active city. We enjoyed this a lot. 

Can watch the floatplanes lands. 

Gastown area steam clock, enjoyed a drink. 

Aqua bus to Granville Island. It was just a time killer for us. 

If in Whittier meaning beginning or ending in Anchorage: 

26 Glacier Cruise with Phillips is fantastic. Lots of whales and otters. 

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you even more. 

Enjoy your planning, Alaska is amazing! 

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Almost every month has positives and negatives, with May it should be drier and has longer daylight. However, the salmon wouldn't be running.

We did a May sailing in 2017.  There was still snow on the  mountain tops with I felt added to awesome scenery.  The weather was decent enough.  We wore layers.

On 12/7/2022 at 7:37 PM, cw2go said:

I suggest looking at what your must haves are for each port first. For example one trip bears were on my must have list and I wanted to do them out of Ketchikan, that decided my month/options. There is a season for best viewing probability so I went stacking my odds in my favor, worked out great! That year meant June for me. 

May can still be icy getting to glaciers. There is no bad time but depending on what you're wanting most can determine better times. 

Pick a cruise line, that has a sailing with the most amount of port hours then look at excursions and make your list. Try not to worry about the ship if Alaska is really what you're after. Ive sailed Princess and Celebrity in Alaska. 

Alaska gives many people sticker shock, start planning your budget. For me tours are most important so the stateroom comes last but many people love a balcony, I am always top deck. 

Here are some tours I've done and loved...

Hubbard Glacier is massive and imo a must have. Glacier Bay is very nice and many will say you must have it but I was not blown away. Tracy Arm Fjord is beautiful but the glacier view can be limited because of weather/ice. 

Ketchikan:

Bears twice once to Anan and once to Traitors Cove with Island Wings.

Floatplane with landing in Misty Fjord Monument.

Adventure Karts. 

Skagway:

Rented a car and went to the Yukon on our own. 

Train Ride is gorgeous but no adventure. I'm retuning this July and will take the train and get off to hike to Laughton Glacier. 

Zip line fun but typical. 

The jet boat was super fun and much more educational than I expected. It was great!

ISP:

ATV's and the Zip Rider... A BLAST! Will be doing it again. 

Juneau:

Whale Watch got lucky with a bubble feed, it was spectacular. 

Mendenhall Glacier 

Canoed and hiked Mendenhall glacier, was able to explore an ice cave. HighLight of my life! 

If beginning or ending in Vancouver: 

Fabulous city, walk or bike Stanley Park. Very active city. We enjoyed this a lot. 

Can watch the floatplanes lands. 

Gastown area steam clock, enjoyed a drink. 

Aqua bus to Granville Island. It was just a time killer for us. 

If in Whittier meaning beginning or ending in Anchorage: 

26 Glacier Cruise with Phillips is fantastic. Lots of whales and otters. 

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you even more. 

Enjoy your planning, Alaska is amazing! 

Patty 

Super helpful thank you so much! I think our biggest challenge is picking which ports we want to go. I would love to go to every single one but of course that is not doable. So we definitely have to book a second cruise another time to see the ports we missed. This was super helpful in determining which cruise offers the ports we want to go. We are definitely adventure people so the ATVs, zipline perked our interest but I also want to see animals and see the glaciers! ISP & Juneau seem to be at the top of our list, would love to canoe and hike the mendenhall glacier, seems amazing!!

Do you have any experience in Sitka? one of the cruises we have been looking has a stop in Sitka as well... do you know what cool things we can do there?

49 minutes ago, nolegirl01 said:

Super helpful thank you so much! I think our biggest challenge is picking which ports we want to go. I would love to go to every single one but of course that is not doable. So we definitely have to book a second cruise another time to see the ports we missed. This was super helpful in determining which cruise offers the ports we want to go. We are definitely adventure people so the ATVs, zipline perked our interest but I also want to see animals and see the glaciers! ISP & Juneau seem to be at the top of our list, would love to canoe and hike the mendenhall glacier, seems amazing!!

Do you have any experience in Sitka? one of the cruises we have been looking has a stop in Sitka as well... do you know what cool things we can do there?

I've never stopped in Sitka, I'd bet @Northern Aurora will be able to give input. 

And to put you at ease, everyone starts out in their planing with trying to see it all. Not possible! You'll want to go back and you'll never be bored of Alaska from what info you've shared here. 

Narrow down the sailing and then plan one port at a time for your tours/excursions. Always have a plan B, weather can derail many adventures. 

Happy to help, 

Patty

• Like 1

As a many-time Holland America Line cruiser to Alaska and Sitka as well as a hobby photographer, Sitka is filled with wildlife photo opportunities.  The small city has deep Russian roots that include a little church and many shops selling Russian souvenirs (fur hats, nested do;ls, etc).  

The Sitka Otters, Raptors, and Bears excursion is one of favorites.  Hours of boat time to observe otters, gray and humpback whales, harbor seals, eagles, and Sitka deer observations. 

Back on land, the Raptor Center rehabilitates raptors for return to the wild and includes an up close viewing of an eagle held by a trainer.  The size of the talons and sharp beak are ominous after the warning to, "Don't make any sudden moves or sounds that could spook the bird."

Both black and brown rescued bear are seen.  Cubs whose mothers have been killed are unable to return to the wild where they cannot survive.  All of the cubs will eventually be sent to zoos for a comfortable life but in the meantime can be observed in a similar habitat where they were born.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/otters/P5298798-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/otters/P7090125.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-001-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/brown-bears/P7090163-1.jpg

• Like 3

FWIW Holland America Line has a 14-Day cruise next May that visits a lot of the tourist towns but also the smaller ones.  If you are a TV show, "Deadliest Catch", the stops in Homer and Kodiak will let you see many of the boats in the series as well as a chance to photograph rare puffins.  I will be aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam for this cruise.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/puffins/P5298815-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/puffins/P5298819-2.jpg

Edited by Crew News

In 2018, my husband and I were also mid 30s and planning our first cruise to Alaska. I planned the whole thing from start to finish with no expense spared because I assumed we would only go once.

We are booked for our third next August 🤷‍♀️

So, first cruise in 2018, was the last week of August into the first few days of September. We sailed on RCCL Radiance of the Seas northbound out of Vancouver. We stayed one night prior in Vancouver and our ports were Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Icy Strait Point. In Ketchikan we did the Wilderness Exploration and crab feast, which was phenomenal. In Juneau we went whale watching with Jayleen. In skagway we rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake, which I will recommend to everyone until I die. And in Icy Strait we didn't have an excursion and we should have because the port is very boring.

We had really REALLY great weather the whole time. It only rained once, in Juneau, but it was warm and didn't bother us a bit.

Post cruise, we stayed for 2 nights at the Alyeska resort in Girdwood before flying home from Anchorage.

Fast forward to this year, we did southbound from Seward on Celebrity Millennium and we flew into Anchorage on monday night, September 5th. Early tuesday morning we took the gold star dome train to Seward, picked up our rental car, and then backtracked an hour to Moose Pass where we stayed 3 nights at Summit Lake Lodge in a lakefront cabin. If I could have moved in and never left, I would have. We'll be going back here for sure. Now, we are not hikers so we spent a lot of time sightseeing, but the Kenai peninsula is one of my favorite places on earth, and you can't even try to fit in seeing everything there is to see into a short vacation.

The cruise portion of this trip left from Seward on that Friday, and it went to the same ports as the first cruise. In Juneau and Skagway we did the same things we did the first time, whale watching with Jayleen (because I adore her and we'll go out on her boat every time we visit), and rented a 4 x 4 Jeep in Skagway and drove past Emerald Lake. In Icy Strait we went whale watching with Glacier Wind and it was awesome. In Ketchikan we took a float plane to a lake in the middle of the Tongass national monument and it was MAGICAL. Complete awe inspiring beauty. There was more rain on this trip, but nothing that hindered us from doing what we wanted to do, and the temperature was still pleasant during the day.

Next year, we're going the last week of August into the beginning of September, on Radiance again. Northbound, but this time instead of Ketchikan, we'll be going to Sitka, which I am very excited about. I haven't booked anything yet (except whale watching with Jayleen), and I haven't decided on pre or post cruise lodging or length of stays, but basically what I'm saying is, plan on going to alaska, and then plan on going back lol.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:37 AM, nolegirl01 said:

I have been to Sitka both on business (to attend the Alaska Historical Society/Museums Alaska joint conference) and on port calls.

Years ago Sitka was a tender port but several years ago a dock was built north of town.  The dock owners provide shuttle transports from the dock to the Harrigan Centennial Center located in downtown Sitka.  From the HCC much of Sitka is walkable.  The walk along the small boat harbor to the Sitka National Historical Park (referred to as "totem pole park by the locals) is lovely.  The park itself has an interpretive center and a collection of totems situated on wooded trails.  The Alaska Raptor Center is walkable for those who do not  have mobility issues, but the Fortress of the Bear is farther out.  Downtown you will find the Sheldon Jackson Museum (an auxiliary of the Alaska State Museum), a small museum operated by the Sitka Historical Society, the Russian Bishop's House (operated by the US National Park  Service), the Russian Orthodox Cathedral and so forth.  The town itself is rather "arty" (for example they host an annual music festival) with some interesting galleries.  As of yet Diamonds International has not opened a store, but since the cruise ship dock was expanded and now ships such as Ovation of the Seas can now dock, locals are concerned that Sitka may lose its charm.  

Use goggle to find the Sitka visitor's bureau.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

I have been to Sitka both on business (to attend the Alaska Historical Society/Museums Alaska joint conference) and on port calls.

Years ago Sitka was a tender port but several years ago a dock was built north of town.  The dock owners provide shuttle transports from the dock to the Harrigan Centennial Center located in downtown Sitka.  From the HCC much of Sitka is walkable.  The walk along the small boat harbor to the Sitka National Historical Park (referred to as "totem pole park by the locals) is lovely.  The park itself has an interpretive center and a collection of totems situated on wooded trails.  The Alaska Raptor Center is walkable for those who do not  have mobility issues, but the Fortress of the Bear is farther out.  Downtown you will find the Sheldon Jackson Museum (an auxiliary of the Alaska State Museum), a small museum operated by the Sitka Historical Society, the Russian Bishop's House (operated by the US National Park  Service), the Russian Orthodox Cathedral and so forth.  The town itself is rather "arty" (for example they host an annual music festival) with some interesting galleries.  As of yet Diamonds International has not opened a store, but since the cruise ship dock was expanded and now ships such as Ovation of the Seas can now dock, locals are concerned that Sitka may lose its charm.  

Use goggle to find the Sitka visitor's bureau.

Here is a photo of the entrance to the airport in Sitka.  It is pathway down to a small pier where float planes can land.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/sitka/img_0157.jpg

A Map may give better definition of where things are located at Sitka -

Top of map - Cruise Terminal

Right - Fortress of the Bear

Bottom - Airport

Center Right (bottom) Sitka

Zooom the Map In or Out for more less detail

Bottom Right Corner watch the map mileage scale - you can measure between points

Google Maps

The sail-away in the early evening is outstanding for photo ops

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

Here is a photo of the entrance to the airport in Sitka.  It is pathway down to a small pier where float planes can land.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/sitka/img_0157.jpg

I've flown both in and out of  Sitka.   For those who haven't the runway is on a rather small island.  Wheels are down and the plane is slows down approaching landing speed before you even see the runway below you.  You just see the ocean below you.  Taking off the plane is taken down to the very, and I mean very, end of the runway. Engines are revved up and you shoot down the runway.  The first time I ever landed in Sitka my right hand was clenched, and I mean CLENCHED, by someone in the next seat.  But great pie at the airport.  The history of pie is a long story.

I've also flown into Dutch Harbor/Unalaska which is much worse for those who are nervous to fly.  The planes are again moved to the very edge of the runway, engines are revved, and you shoot down the runway.  Then there are some "interesting" turns as the plane climbs out, and maneuvers around the dormant volcanoes and mountain tops.

• Like 1