Medical Supplies - Getting to the ship

intrepid_guy

Hi all, 

We are sailing out of NYC in mid Jan. This will be our first cruise in several years and what is different is that our daughter has a physical disorder that has worsened over the years. So, we need to bring medical supplies.

We will be taking the train from Baltimore to NYC and anticipate no issue on the train, but I worry about getting from the train station to the pier. We will be 4, two adults and the kids 13 in WC and 8 yo sis that can't offer too much help. We will have luggage for 4 for 12 days... ugh and then supplies for our oldest. Bipap, O2 monitor, 12 days of liquid formula (about 60 cans) IV pole, gravity bags, meds, diapers etc. 

Has anyone had experience in this area? What do you suggest? Should we try to book something in advance? It is only a few blocks, but I am SURE we are going to need above average amount of help. Are there any services ya'll are familiar with that help with HC passengers at the terminals? Any other advice?

Intrepid <-- I'm sure there is more I am not even thinking of yet....

12 minutes ago, intrepid_guy said:

Hi all, 

We are sailing out of NYC in mid Jan. This will be our first cruise in several years and what is different is that our daughter has a physical disorder that has worsened over the years. So, we need to bring medical supplies.

We will be taking the train from Baltimore to NYC and anticipate no issue on the train, but I worry about getting from the train station to the pier. We will be 4, two adults and the kids 13 in WC and 8 yo sis that can't offer too much help. We will have luggage for 4 for 12 days... ugh and then supplies for our oldest. Bipap, O2 monitor, 12 days of liquid formula (about 60 cans) IV pole, gravity bags, meds, diapers etc. 

Has anyone had experience in this area? What do you suggest? Should we try to book something in advance? It is only a few blocks, but I am SURE we are going to need above average amount of help. Are there any services ya'll are familiar with that help with HC passengers at the terminals? Any other advice?

Assuming WC means wheelchair (and even not) you are certainly going to need at least  an XL Uber or comparable, with all that gear.  I do not think you will necessarily need an ambulette -- but your experience should advise.  That, of course, would have to be lined up in asvance.

14 hours ago, intrepid_guy said:

What do you suggest? Should we try to book something in advance?

A quick google search for "wheelchair van service nyc" shows a couple of services, one with 2000 vehicles, that provide service to the cruise terminals, and have mid to large vans that should accommodate all your requirements.  Definitely book in advance and discuss your exact needs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, intrepid_guy said:

Hi all, 

We are sailing out of NYC in mid Jan ... taking the train from Baltimore to NYC and anticipate no issue on the train, but I worry about getting from the train station to the pier. We will be 4, two adults and the kids 13 in WC and 8 yo sis that can't offer too much help. We will have luggage for 4 for 12 days... ugh and then supplies ... Should we try to book something in advance? It is only a few blocks, but I am SURE we are going to need above average amount of help. Are there any services ya'll are familiar with that help with HC passengers at the terminals? Any other advice?

Hi, there ... we are on the roll call & see you at the pier and onboard.  Personally, no experience dealing with these matters but plenty of hands-on with frail elders using wheelchairs & walkers over the years.  

From your other post, you've alerted NCL's Access Desk about the teen's special needs & cleared with them.  How many checked bags will you be bringing along & coming off Amtrak **** - once you arrive into the new NY Penn (Moynihan Train Hall) Station, look/ask/call for uniformed Red Cap services to help with carting and moving all the bags & luggage. 

** (from Amtrak's NYP website) Baggage assistance provided by 212-630-7914/212-630-6221 (24/7 at Penn. 5a-11p at Moynihan)

**** Will everyone and everything all fit into a typical minivan ??  There are licensed yellow minivan taxi, they will take 4 passengers plus luggage - some (as I recall) are accessible friendly.  A good, helpful Red Cap should be able to help you up to the street level's taxi stand via elevators (there are lots of escalators, which you do not want) and flag an available mini-van taxi.  

Arriving on a weekday, what's your ETA into NYP that morning - presumably after or toward the end of the morning commuter's rush hour ?   

Once you get to Pier 88 that morning, driver should be able to drop your & luggage, etc.off curbside on Level 2, porters are outside to take all the checked bags.  Here are some photos that should help refresh your memories as to what it looked like (recently taken) ... exact setup might be a little different.  The Accessible Help Desk has always been to the left as you walk into the terminal facility.  Your family as a group should be able to bypass the regular line and stay to the left to go thru security first, then proceed to check-in area, and if it's early - be directed to the designated seating area next to the Door (C) opposite the Latitudes Platinum roped-off area, and be among the first groups to board first.  

Collage_2022-12-08_09_56_02[1].jpg

Collage_2022-12-08_18_29_09[1].jpg

Collage_2022-12-08_18_35_12[1].jpg

This area is marked & usually used by NCL ships for accessible passengers and you go out those double doors (marked "C") to board the ship.

P.S.  I just priced Carmel car service, a full size van from NYP train station to Pier 88 is about $150 + tips.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

Agreed on making sure NCL is aware you are bringing nutritional supplement. Under normal circumstances, they do not allow this on board. You will need permission to bring it all on. Also keep in mind it will all need to be stored in your cabin. Hopefully you booked something of decent size.

7 hours ago, mking8288 said:

**** Will everyone and everything all fit into a typical minivan ??  There are licensed yellow minivan taxi, they will take 4 passengers plus luggage - some (as I recall) are accessible friendly.  A good, helpful Red Cap should be able to help you up to the street level's taxi stand via elevators (there are lots of escalators, which you do not want) and flag an available mini-van taxi.  * * *

P.S.  I just priced Carmel car service, a full size van from NYP train station to Pier 88 is about $150 + tips.

The advice here on red cap service plus accessible mini-van taxi service is exactly what I was thinking while reading the initial inquiry. Very good advice provided. By using a red cap you should be be able to benefit from his or her ability to navigate among the waiting taxis to get you all into one meeting your needs. At an extreme, if baggage is so much as not to fit within a single taxi, then split the family into two taxis, one adult and child in each. The fare should only be a few dollars, so even with two taxis the fare will not be great. In contrast, relying on Carmel for a van to travel but a few blocks, for $150, would be an outrage, imposing such an excessive cost that is contrary to everything that the ADA was intended to remedy. Regular accessible mini-van taxi is almost certainly going to be the best choice here.

Very good point about spliting into 2 yellow taxi with help from uniformed Red Cap, hail 1 minvan/suv taxi (those are usually hybrid) and load as much luggage as possible, 1 adult and 1 child (plus the wheelchair ... assumed that to be a compact, folding "transport" WC first to Pier 88).  Then, the 2nd. adult with the 2nd. child) and remaining luggage items & supplies in another taxi - perhaps just 5 minutes apart with loading, onward to Pier 88.  

Even with the higher taxi fares, surcharges & tips, etc. - each cab/taxi should be $20 to $30 at most, all inclusive, for the short trip - advise the cab driver to go north on 10th Avenue (if I recall correctly) & then turn left on W. 55th Street as the routing should avoid most traffic and the wait on 12th Ave (old "West Side Hwy" for the left turn at the traffic light.  

Be sure to give the Red Cap a generous cash tip for his "free" services - this will definitely be less than getting a full size, accessible van from Carmel or Dial 7 - private ambulette transport will cost much more & their on-time record is poor at best, inconsistent and miserable mostly, and not worth standing outside the Train Hall at the pickup area, even if sheltered in the middle of winter (as this is going to be for late January in NYC).  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

[P]rivate ambulette transport will cost much more & their on-time record is poor at best, inconsistent and miserable mostly, and not worth standing outside the Train Hall at the pickup area, even if sheltered in the middle of winter (as this is going to be for late January in NYC).

I have represented a private ambulette service. There can sometimes be unreliability, though my client has usually been on top of things. But the cost is so high. That might be okay when Medicaid is paying, but out of pocket the cost is tough to swallow. Yellow taxi, with accessible mini-van(s), is probably the best service for this (very) short trip.

I’m still not clear if your daughter needs a wheelchair transport van or she is able to sit in a regular van. If she can sit, I would go with a van, arranged in advance. But you’ll need a van large enough to carry all the extras. Some transport companies with vans will take the last row of seats out to fit extra luggage. You need to specify. 

How are you going to get from your home to the train station in Baltimore? Will everything fit into one car then? 

4 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

I’m still not clear if your daughter needs a wheelchair transport van or she is able to sit in a regular van.

That is an important, even if uncommon, concern. The implementing regulations for the ADA were good for requiring wheelchair accessible transportation that would serve people with disabilities in most cases. There is a TLC page with video that describes accessible taxi service generally, including the accessible dispatch service, available here: http://www.nyc.gov/site/tlc/about/accessible-dispatch.page. Additionally, the TLC has a useful taxi driver training video that shows how taxis are equipped to transport passengers with disabilities, available here https://youtu.be/NbqVW5xjwT0, and this video may be useful in ascertaining whether an accessible taxi will be able to provide service to a particular individual.

But given that the adaptations for various types of disabilities differ, and the capabilities of each individual also differ, not all persons with disabilities can use use standard accessible transportation, including accessible taxis. The ADA and its implementing regulations recognize that concern, and so there are also provisions for complementary paratransit service for persons unable to use standard accessible transportation.

In the case of New York City, that complementary paratransit service is known as "Access-A-Ride," and it utilizes accessible wheelchair lift-equipped vans (and other vehicles) to transport persons with disabilities unable to use conventional, even if "accessible," transportation. http://new.mta.info/accessibility/paratransit Fare is a standard transit fare (currently $2.75), and a single "guest" may also ride with the person with a disability. There is no limitation on trip purpose (so transfers between Pennsylvania Station and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal are fine), but advance arrangement is required. Persons from outside of New York City can utilize their hometown paratransit eligibility card (details are provided here: http://new.mta.info/accessibility/paratransit/how-to-apply-or-recertify-for-access-a-ride).

Because of the limitation on the number of guests permitted to accompany an Access-A-Ride passenger, in this situation it would be necessary to split the family into two vehicles. First, one adult and the child with disability to travel in the accessible Access-A-Ride van; and second, one adult and the other child in a yellow taxi. If it is critical that all four persons travel together in an accessible van, then it does become necessary to use an ambulette service. This could be difficult, however, because ambulette services anticipate an unaccompanied person with disability, perhaps with one guest, and not to transport entire families including all of their vacation baggage . . . they don't typically provide taxi-like service. It could require much effort arranging this type of service, and likely significant cost.

Hopefully this additional information will be helpful in ascertaining whether accessible taxi service can be used, and some of the alternatives if needed.

• 2 weeks later...