Upgrade Offer

Charlene1985

We are booked in a Vista Suite and received an upgrade offer to a Signature Suite for 10 nights on Rotterdam for $999.  We are going to pass (only booked the Vista vs Verandah as this will get us to the next mariner level with the extra 10 cruise credits) but normally would this be considered a good deal?  

I saw someone post a few days ago about their offer to go from Verandah to Neptune for $499.  We would have jumped on that. 

Edited by Charlene1985
Typo

42 minutes ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Upgrade offers can be all over the board. I received an offer of $2,500pp from a ocean view to a verandah on the 128-day world cruise on Zuiderdam. $20pp/day. Still simply personal preference.

I think some offers are better than others so I'm not sure it's about preference.  Yours sounds like a great deal to me.

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think some offers are better than others so I'm not sure it's about preference.  Yours sounds like a great deal to me.

I just meant that regardless as to the offer, personal preference comes into play. I have passed on some "great" deals because I had already spent all that the trip was worth to me at the time. This time, I took the deal, even though as a single I will pay double.

Edited by WriterOnDeck
  • Like 4

Four days before sailing ( Rotterdam, 10 days) I called HAL and was offered $1,198 per person to upgrade from VA Veranda to SA, Neptune Suit. The next day I called back- $599 per person ( now, it was three days before the cruise). At that same time they also were offering upgrade to Vista Suit for $199/ person.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Upgrade offers can be all over the board. I received an offer of $2,500pp from a ocean view to a verandah on the 128-day world cruise on Zuiderdam. $20pp/day. Still simply personal preference.

I got the same offer.  We passed on it 😊

5 hours ago, Charlene1985 said:

We are booked in a Vista Suite and received an upgrade offer to a Signature Suite for 10 nights on Rotterdam for $999.  We are going to pass (only booked the Vista vs Verandah as this will get us to the next mariner level with the extra 10 cruise credits) but normally would this be considered a good deal?  

I saw someone post a few days ago about their offer to go from Verandah to Neptune for $499.  We would have jumped on that. 

I recall that the previous offer to Neptune was "per person", but it was still a good deal.  Your offer wouldn't really appeal to me for an additional $1k.

17 hours ago, olya1972 said:

Four days before sailing ( Rotterdam, 10 days) I called HAL and was offered $1,198 per person to upgrade from VA Veranda to SA, Neptune Suit. The next day I called back- $599 per person ( now, it was three days before the cruise). At that same time they also were offering upgrade to Vista Suit for $199/ person.

Sounds like a misunderstanding as $599 times 2 people would be the $1198 first mentioned.  Too much of a coincidence not to be.  Besides, HAL always uses offers that end in $99. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Charlene1985 said:

21 hours ago, Charlene1985 said:

That is not an upgrade offer,it is an upsell offer.

19 hours ago, highscar said:

GJust wondering.  Could there ever be an up- grade offer for a solo cruiser.   

I received an upsell offer yesterday on the 1/4 Rotterdam from my obstructed outside to family outside or veranda.    Veranda would have cost $800 single.    I passed on it.

19 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Agree that it's not a great deal.  Those vista "suites" should not be called suites because they are so small.  Realize it's good for the OP under their personal circumstances.

Obviously a carryover in marketing from the S-class and R-class "Vista Suites" which are actually Verandah staterooms. We have sailed twice on Pinnacle-class ships in a "Vista Suite" because the VA vs A was only a few dollars more AND worth it to us for double Mariner points.

Edited by Heartgrove

5 hours ago, johnmik1 said:

They might call it an upgrade but when they are trying to sell you something,it is an upsell and when they are giving you something ,it is an upgrade!

That is the Cruise Critic convention, but the cruise lines call them Paid Upgrades and Complimentary Upgrades and as @Florida_gal_50pointed out, @Charlene1985was not wrong.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, highscar said:

GJust wondering.  Could there ever be an up- grade offer for a solo cruiser.   

Yes. Received and accepted a $299 pp upgrade offer from Veranda to Neptune for this September's sailing to Alaska.  Since I am two people when booking with HAL, I happily paid the $600.